Torchwood USA!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
BBCAmerica will be airing it!

Don't know when it starts though.

Supernatural Saturday – enters the world of science fiction and the paranormal with such shows as Jekyll, Torchwood, Life on Mars, Hex and Doctor Who.

w00t!!! :fest

Now I'll have to call the cable company to see how much it costs to upgrade to the tier that carries BBC America.

coughcough editedtohell coughcough Ah well at least the US will be getting. :lol That means that eventually we should see DVDs released locally.

Care to elaborate without including spoilers? If that's the case, I'll just wait for the domestic DVD.

Torchwood has numerous uses of the F-word, profanities and nudity and other things that would most likley be edited. Also, like Doctor Who, it will likley be edited for time also.

Everything we see on BBCA is edited to hell. I liked MI-5 there, but it was jumpy and sometimes made no sense. They cut out 10 minutes of every episode to fit it in a US broadcast hour. Same with Dr. Who and Torchwood.

But it will at least give me an idea if I want to get the DVDs like I did with Who and MI-5.

Does SciFi edit Doctor Who? Or is it just BBC America? I have the Doctor Who DVD's and am embarrassed to say, I never noticed a difference from the Sci-Fi broadcast.

I didn't know about the F-bombs in Torchwood. If it's on cable, who cares? Boo to edits!

Sci-fi edited them too. I can tell the difference with the DVDs. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd season until it came out on DVD.

I'm a bit surprised that Torchwood is so "adult." I don't know much about the show except that Captain Jack is in it and that 2nd series of Who set it up. I got the impression from watching commentary on Who that the staff sees Who as a kind of kiddie show. Strange to have a more mature show spin off from it.

Last edited:
For Who, I can tell which scenes were cut while watching but I can't tell you from the top of my head. Actually I need to delete series 2 off my hard drive as its sucking up space. Torchwood.. Im really not that fond of. Its too much X-Files meets CSI: Cardiff and not enough fighting the alien horde. :lol Also if they cut back on the sex (and Owen in general) it would be great as the cursing and such makes it seem more "real".

Torchwood likes to think itself as being adult, but in reality thats far from the truth. Think Dr Who but with swearing just for the sake of it.

I found the acting on the whole not great, but the scripts were appalling!

I do hope that things improve in the second season.

sueworld said:
Torchwood likes to think itself as being adult, but in reality thats far from the truth. Think Dr Who but with swearing just for the sake of it.

I found the acting on the whole not great, but the scripts were appalling!

I do hope that things improve in the second season.

Agree but also disagree. The swearing wasn't all that over the top, it was the sex stuff that was. Owen just needs to go as I hate his character entirely. The acting I would give a 6 out of 10... the stories.. ay the stories. They got better as the season went on (I loved Random Shoes) but the "big bad" seemed to be thrown in at the last minute.

Darklord Dave said:
Sci-fi edited them too. I can tell the difference with the DVDs. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd season until it came out on DVD.

I'm a bit surprised that Torchwood is so "adult." I don't know much about the show except that Captain Jack is in it and that 2nd series of Who set it up. I got the impression from watching commentary on Who that the staff sees Who as a kind of kiddie show. Strange to have a more mature show spin off from it.

Apparently Russell T Davies said he wanted three Doctor Who related series, one targeting each audience.

Doctor Who is aimed at families
Torchwood at adults
And the Sarah Jane Adventures at kids

Torchwood is a promising show and I think it deserved a second season but the first season was hit and miss at best. I don't think it would've gotten a second series if it wasn't a Doctor Who spin off starring Captain Jack.

If BBC America edits it alot I'm not sure how much sense the plots will make as alot of them are focused on sex etc.

Like episode two with an alien that uses orgasmic sensations to body jump, how do you make that story work without sex????

BBCA won't edit sex out unless there is nudity. HEX played there and was pretty sexual. They will edit for time though, which makes it very confusing sometimes, or at least it did with MI-5.

Darklord Dave said:
BBCA won't edit sex out unless there is nudity. HEX played there and was pretty sexual. They will edit for time though, which makes it very confusing sometimes, or at least it did with MI-5.

I remember the BBC doing something pretty similar over here when Buffy The Vampire Slayer used to be on at six in the evening.

Sometimes they'd even edit the villain's death at the end of the episode and you'd be like "so how'd she kill him again?":D

A good example was Willow killing Warren at the end of season six and Buffy's next line was "Willow what did you do?"

Thanks to the BBC censors, we never found out.

Hopefully the guys at BBCA will be a bit more liberal with what goes on the cutting room floor when Torchwood comes out.

For those of you that don't get BBC America (like me), Torchwood premiers on HDNET tomorrow (Monday, Sept 17) night at 7pm est

:chew

However, I don't know if it will suffer from the editing discussed previously in this thread.

Last edited:
HDNet doesn't seem to edit their shows... so I think they will be safe. I was watching the Blade Series and they allowed f-bombs and s h * *.

I was planning checking it out.

I don't know. After watching the first two episodes, I think the only thing that could make them safe would be to bury them in a deep underground bunker somewhere.

I didn't have a problem with the editing, but I do have a problem with the horrible characters, weak premise and pretentious, self-indulgent stories. I'm having a really hard time even believing that this tripe is coming from the same minds who created the latest Who incarnation.

After watching the Who episode Blink recently (one of the best bits of SF writing I've seen in a very long time), I had extremely high hopes for Torchwood, despite the savage reviews I've read from a number of sources. Unfortunately, the reviews were right, and my hopes have been dashed.

I liked the first 2 episodes of Torchwood, although I miss the wise-cracking, comedy relief Captain Jack from Dr. Who.

I haven't read any reviews and it certainly doesn't live up to the current Who (Blink - one of the greatest pieces of sci-fi writing in tv this century), but I'm definitely going to give Torchwood more of a chance.

Series 1 got better toward the end.. but even by the end I still wanted to snap Owen's neck. Hopefully series 2 will be better.

Just finished the first episode... I'd give it a meh, bordering on interesting. I'll probably give it a few more episodes, but for right now it feels like something the SciFi network would put out.

Back