Denis Villeneuve interested in directing stand-alone STAR WARS film

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to his work on films like Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, filmmaker Denis Villeneuve has become one of the most acclaimed genre filmmakers of the last few years, regularly pushing the boundaries of what's expected in a film. As a guest on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, the filmmaker expressed his interest in tackling a film Star Wars film that's detached from the Skywalker Saga.

"It’s something that, again it’s like, I would be intrigued," Villeneuve confessed. "I don’t know, it’s very difficult. What is dangerous with Star Wars right now is it’s become its own vocabulary. I would love to see them, I think Rogue One was a very interesting attempt to get out of the mold."

Given that the director helmed the sequel to 1982's Blade Runner, one of the most lauded sci-fi films of all time, the pressures of creating such an anticipated film are probably something the filmmaker could overcome.

Thanks to films like Rogue One and the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story, Lucasfilm has shown that they're interested in fleshing out the galaxy far, far away, rather than just creating a slew of sequels.

"I think it would be a great idea to get out of there and to go on a new part of the galaxy, that I would be open to," Villeneuve pointed out.

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/11/29/star-wars-denis-villeneuve-directing-blade-runner-2049/

God YES. KATHLEEN KENNEDY GIVE HIM BOBA FETT NOW.

NOW!!!!!!!

:thud:

Now, who do we want to replace him?

:lol

I just don't see his sensibilities paired with family-fare that is Disney's Star Wars. It's intriguing no doubt. But I really don't take the Star Wars universe as darkly serious as many fans seem to. Denis should be doing the Alien universe -- which is much more suited to his sensibilities -- instead of Star Wars.

Awesome.
Now, who do we want to replace him?

:lol :rotfl

:lol

I just don't see his sensibilities paired with family-fare that is Disney's Star Wars. It's intriguing no doubt. But I really don't take the Star Wars universe as darkly serious as many fans seem to. Denis should be doing the Alien universe -- which is much more suited to his sensibilities -- instead of Star Wars.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Nolan transitioning from Insomnia to Batman Begins. And with Rogue One being darker than even Empire I could see a Villeneuve/SW film being a match made in heaven. Would I expect something as hardcore as Sicario? Obviously not. But a TDK trilogy/RO type film could certainly work.

I mean he just made the best live action Pinnochio possible.
Granted, turned out he was not a real boy, Jimeney got stomped, and Giapetto abandoned Pinoch to die because he found a cooler puppet...

I mean he just made the best live action Pinnochio possible.

That's one way of looking at it. :lol

As far as I'm concerned Villeneuve basically did the impossible by somehow making a BR sequel worthy of its predecessor. Now that he's publicly expressed interest in SW it will be hard for me to not lose all faith in Kennedy if I don't hear that she responds. If not Boba Fett then let him just remake the damn prequels (and yes I know he doesn't want to make a "Skywalker" flick but still, just sayin.')

I have no doubt that he could make a good film, in just about any situation or context. But Disney's approach is antithetical to what someone like him would need to succeed creatively. David Lynch was also interested in making Dune.

I have no doubt that he could make a good film, in just about any situation or context. But Disney's approach is antithetical to what someone like him would need to succeed creatively. David Lynch was also interested in making Dune.

I'd take Lynch's Dune a thousand times over the prequels, or at least AOTC.

No way in the world Disney would allow him the creative freedom he would need.

Going back to this I will say that sadly I believe you are 100% correct. Denis couldn't even tolerate having Ridley Scott on set for *one day* while shooting BR 2049 and politely asked him to leave so that he could focus on directing Harrison Ford. Scott respectfully obliged. Can you imagine Kathleen Kennedy being so gracious and/or trusting? Hell no.

It just blows my mind that he's publicly declaring an interest in actually directing a SW film. Kennedy should just suck it up and let him do whatever he wants.

Going back to this I will say that sadly I believe you are 100% correct. Denis couldn't even tolerate having Ridley Scott on set for *one day* while shooting BR 2049 and politely asked him to leave so that he could focus on directing Harrison Ford. Scott respectfully obliged. Can you imagine Kathleen Kennedy being so gracious and/or trusting? Hell no.

It just blows my mind that he's publicly declaring an interest in actually directing a SW film. Kennedy should just suck it up and let him do whatever he wants.

He's doing DUNE anyhow and yes the Disney/Kennedy strangulation hold on a SW film would not be to his taste...

I agree based on our fan level understanding. But at the same time - Jack White really wanted to make a Coca Cola commercial, so he did.

If Villeneuve really wants to make a SW movie as a fan of the series he may be perfectly willing to work within the studio mandated parameters.

If Villeneuve really wants to make a SW movie as a fan of the series he may be perfectly willing to work within the studio mandated parameters.

True. And if Kennedy really thought he could deliver the goods then I'm sure they could work something out where they both sign off 100% on the script and then he shoots it without her hovering over his shoulder. Judging from the BR 2049 art book he doesn't seem like the type who goes improv crazy after everything is scripted and pre-visualized.

Back