Buffy Season 8 —SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankenFan

Abnormal Brain
Reaction score
Buffy Season 8 — SPOILERS!

I know I posted in the other Buffy Season 8 thread that we should wait until a few more issues hit the stands before we delve into all the spoilery goodness that is "The Long Way Home, Pt. I," but, I lied.

We now know that the Buffy we saw partying with the Immortal in the Angel episode "The girl in Question," was actually one of two look-a-like decoys and part of a ruse concocted by Andrew.

Did anyone else think it was odd that the first words spoken by Xander were, "You're five-by-five, Buf"? It just seems so uncharacteristic of Xander to say that. Perhaps it's a nod to the upcoming Faith arc? And, is romance in the air between Xander and Renee?

Who is this?

bffyp12p4jq3.jpg

LOVE giant Dawn!

Regarding the big reveal on the final page, I think insane (more insane?) Amy will make an interesting adversary, especially once Willow is reintroduced. And who, or what, is her "boyfriend?" I wonder who else survived the destruction of the Hellmouth?

The overall tone was darker and more somber than I expected, and Buffy is still at odds with her station in life and a lot more melancholy than I thought she would be after the sly, contemplative smile she affected in the final scene in "Chosen."

Must be her craving for churros and the lack of sex.

Last edited:
Well lets keep in mind that this is after Angel episode "Not Fade Away" and Joss has stated that Spike and Angel will appear (they live! squee!). Im thinking Amy will be the "Big Bad". Not sure what else though because I wont get my issue one until this weekend.

Memnoch21 said:
Well lets keep in mind that this is after Angel episode "Not Fade Away" and Joss has stated that Spike and Angel will appear (they live! squee!). Im thinking Amy will be the "Big Bad". Not sure what else though because I wont get my issue one until this weekend.

Just got the second issue and we finally see the return of Giles and Willow, not sure if I like the whole Buffy Disney Princess Sleeping Beauty spell, but I can see it setting up a whole Angel / Spike arguement about which is her true love.

Re: Buffy Season 8 — SPOILERS!

The second issue really picked up the pace!

I'm thinking the floating feet from issue 1 and the Angel/Spike-like figure from the dream sequence in issue 2 are red herrings. Whedon has said that Angel and Spike will be making token appearances in the series, but they will not be major players. Joss is all about the misdirect and the subtle, and this is just too obvious and heavy-handed to ring true, to me. But, on the other hand, Scott Allie writes in the lettercol that "...Angel and Spike won't just be mentioned—next issue you're gonna get an image burned into your head that I suspect many of you are not gonna want to get rid of."

I'm most intrigued by the identity of Amy's "boyfriend." When General Voll first saw him, he recoiled in horror, exclaiming, "How is that thing alive!," and he has subsequently been referred to as a monstrosity and a gross thing. I wonder if it is someone we know? Amy requested a weapons lab for him; Maybe Adam? He was certainly a "monstrosity." I'd guess flayed Warren, too—he would live up to the "how is that thing alive" comment, and he liked to tinker with weapons—but Willow vaporized him after she skinned him.

It looks like the flirtation between Xander and Renee might be over before it really started, unless her zombie-inflicted wound is not fatal. (It would have been cool to see giant Dawn stomping on zombies!)

And speaking of romance, like the Angel/Spike mystery man, I think—I'm hope—the hints of a Buffy/Xander hook-up is just more dream distraction.

Who do you think the bearer of the "kiss of true love" will be that will awaken enchanted Buffy? It doesn't have to come from someone she's in love with, but it does have to be someone truly in love with her, who wants to kiss her, "like, they're passionate about her."

Again, I don't think Xander's going to be the one, despite Amy's challenge. I think he's been fixated on Buffy over the years, and he may have a lust for her, but I don't think he's ever exhibited or understood true love with any woman, certainly not the way he betrayed Buffy in "Becoming, Pt II,"(after all these years I still have not forgiven him! :D) and the way he treated Anya; he barely blinked an eye when he learned of her death. Besides, too obvious a choice. Angel and Spike would fit the description, but, again with the obvious. Maybe...Willow?

What else? Buffy's monologue to her squad was very season oneish; Giles' all-too brief appearance was classic Rupert; The Army, at least Voll, are linked to the guys killed by the demons in issue one via the tatoo-like scars; And, finally, a terrific entrance by Ms. Rosenberg!

Can't wait for the next issue! There's a "making of" preview of number 3 at DarkHorse.com.

Just got the second issue today and i thought it were better than the first. Can't wait to see Willow in the next issue! I loved how she said "i'd like to test that theory"

Sooo no one get the new issue yet? All I can say is that Buffy's dream with Spike and Angel... I opened the comic and that's the first thing I saw. All I could muster was a rather loud "Wow" and then some laughing. And the REAL Big Bad is stunning to say the least. Of course now Wiki needs to get on it and fix everything that's wrong on their season 8 page. Like the fact that it ISNT Spike we see, and that in issue one that is NOT Amy's boyfriend in the reflection of the helmet but Amy herself (something I realized after re-reading issue 1).

I read it last night. :rock Yup, I saw that image too from Buffy's dream - the one left "burning in our minds" per Frankenfan's post above. :lol

Ethan Rayne huh? Didn't see that coming. Interesting though. These cliff hanger ending are really killing me though - I can't wait to see how it gets wrapped up next month.

All in all it keeps me wishing this was on tv again. The writing is top notch stellar classic Buffy (or should I say Joss?) even if the artwork kind of leaves me wishing it were a bit better. The cover with Willow though....beautiful! I can't help but think it was her that kissed Buffy.

I want to see how they resolve the skinless wonder bursting into flames and then he comes back.

Good issue though, the dialogue is classict BTVS.

It will probably have something to do with Amy bringing him back or something. Either way its a good choice for a "big bad". Now I see why those army guys were all grossed out :lol . So after next issue its a stand alone and then Faith's arc I believe?

Just got my copy of part 3. I'm soooo happy the story is going on with Joss scripting so far, but I have to say, it seems like the art has been steadily declining from issue to issue. It strikes me as pretty sloppy in number 3, and I am not liking Willow's look even a little. Alyson Hannigan will always be Willow to me, my favorite character, and I don't see any resemblance at all to Jeanty's version.

There's an advert inside for Joss-written Dark Horse books, with a Serenity book with the subtitle "Those Left Behind". Is this an old issue I'll have to track down, or upcoming?

binky

Its the collected edition of the Serenity 6 part (?) comic seris that came out just before the movie, it's kind of like a prequel to the movie or a 'missing episode' between the tv show and the film if you will.
Not Joss Whedons best foray into comics in my opinion.

Thanks. I don't remember being thrown for a loss not having read them and seeing the movie. I guess they weren't essential. Maybe I'll pick up the collection when it's available.

Re: Buffy Season 8 —SPOILERS!

Just got issues 1-3 from my comic shop over the weekend, and I thought it would take a little to get into the series, but I was in love with all things Buffy by the end of the first issue.

I am even more disappointed that Sideshow sees the end of the Buffy line, as I would be even more apt to collect figures with the renewed interest that is accompanying the comic. Maybe I'll just get an Art S. Buck body and try to customize "skinless" warren!

I got a semi-cool Season 8 pickup today:

9c29_1_sbl.JPG

They sent a litho to every store for every 50 comics they ordered - 50, you got one signed by the artist, - 100, you got one signed by the artist and Whedon. Mine is only signed by the artist, not Whedon, but I also got it for 15 bucks (as compared to 50 to 100 which Whedon sig version draws). The image looked nice on the 1 cover, but it's positively beautiful blown up to 18x24 and with the side banner removed. Now, if only they would do the same thing to the Chen cover from issue 2:

Last edited:
I'm enjoying all the extras the unlimited FX budget of comics allows, like the expansive sets, Buffy's dreamspace (a Gamorrean guard?!?), the Willow/Amy battle, and, of course, giant Dawn. I also liked seeing Dark Willow back, albeit briefly. Interesting to know she can still go there, and "it'll fade." I though the nod to Kennedy was inspired, and I'm eager to learn what Willow has been up to since we last saw her.

Based on the "monstrosity" and tech-lab comments from previous issues, I guessed Adam or Warren for Amy's "boyfriend" and it turns out to be the latter. There's a 4-page preview of issue four up now at the Dark Horse site, that sheds some light on Warren's "ressurection." It seems he's been around for a lot longer than we knew.

Though I was sure it was neither Spike nor Angel, the reveal of Ethan Rayne as the dream guide took me by surprise, but I don't think he and the guy floating above the castle from the first issue are one-and-the-same. Last time we saw Ethan he was on his way to an Army detention facility in the Nevada desert for "rehabilitation." I get the impression he's still in some sort of... program, based on his statement that he can't see outside himself, and I guess he hitched a ride to Buffy's dreamspace on Amy's spell. It should be interesting to learn more about his connection with Amy, and since it's Ethan, what his true intentions are.

Giles is still getting some of the best dialogue and I really enjoyed his conversation with the Brood representative. Wonder how log it will be until we see him reunited with the rest of the gang, and how the backstory of the demons' history with the slayers unfolds.

Regarding Georges Jeanty's and Andy Owens' artwork, it's very difficult to consistently draw completely accurate likenesses of real people in a comic book from panel-to-panel. Fundamentally, comic book artists are not portrait artists, at their best they are storytellers. I think we're getting serviceable likenesses of all of the characters, with Xander's being the most consistent, but hey — eye patch and uniform. One thing that could help with Willow is to get her eye color right.

Looking forward to June 6!

Thanks for the link to the preview. I was scratching my head at the gamorrean guard. Was that still meant to be Amy's cage from her time as a rat? Maybe Xander gave her a little plaything. The dialogue is great, the artwork is fun and loose, and the story looks to be a helluva ride. I can't wait to see where this goes, but Sideshow needs to keep the license going!

I picked up one of those lithos at NYCC - I'll have to look and see if I grabbed two, maybe I have an extra. A litho of the second cover would be great as well, but I'd much prefer one of the third - what a cool rendition of Willow!

Back