Your Favorite Under-rated Horror Films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanceGavinDance

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all!

With Halloween season quickly approaching, I'm always looking for some good, solid horror movies to enjoy during my favorite time of year.
I always have my "old reliables" that are a must watch every year (Evil Dead 1&2, Donnie Darko, Trick R Treat, Halloween 1&2, etc)

But I wanted to ask, what are some of your favorite under rated/lesser known horror flicks that you'd recommend?

I'll go first:
The Void - Brand new movie that just came out and is actually on Netflix. Very very good film! I don't wanna spoil anything at all, but very creepy concept and atmosphere. Check it out!

All Hallows Eve - I'm a sucker for horror anthologies, and this one doesn't disappoint. Basically revolves around a babysitter who receives a mysterious VHS tape while watching 2 kids on Halloween night. The tape contains the various segments and all are pretty great. The best one is about Art the Clown, who is actually receiving his own stand alone movie, which I believe is coming out at the end of the month.

So let's here it guys, what are your lesser known/under rated horror gems?

I guess my picks would be:

Twilight Zone: The Movie (fourth segment only)

Pumpkinhead (the original)

But in all honesty, underrated isn't a term I'd use for any of these since they do get some love as cult classics - overlooked is a more accurate term I think.

Do yourself a favor and check out The Invitation on Netflix if you haven't already.

I actually have and I loved it!
Idk if you're familiar with the adventures of Pete and Pete (old nickelodeon show from the early 90s) but a certain actor from that show pops up in a short, but pretty important role, so that was neat to see too!

Also, that very last shot before the camera fades was awesome

It follows. I know it got good reviews but I don't hear much about it.

Brain Damage

From Beyond

Altered States

I just remembered that I have this on DVD. I used to love the movie, but for some reason, the last time I watched it, I couldn't get past the bikini briefs on one of the Male characters. Tiger print, if I recall. Couldn't stop laughing.

It follows. I know it got good reviews but I don't hear much about it.

Really didn't get the adoration so many have for this film, it did nothing for me.

Exorcist III - Surprisingly effective scares and a terrific performance by Brad Dourif. Nicely paired as a double feature with the original. (Do NOT watch Exorcist II unless you're doing a comedy night. :lol)

Psycho III - A lovely nod to Hitchcock's style.

I actually like Psycho II as well, despite being a smidge campy.

Castle Freak

castle-freak-movie.jpg

I just remembered that I have this on DVD. I used to love the movie, but for some reason, the last time I watched it, I couldn't get past the bikini briefs on one of the Male characters. Tiger print, if I recall. Couldn't stop laughing.

Really didn't get the adoration so many have for this film, it did nothing for me.

It went back to the more old school type of horror, like Halloween. It didn't rely on cheap jump scares like 90% of modern horror movies do. Plus it had an amazing, very unique soundtrack.

Hey all!

With Halloween season quickly approaching, I'm always looking for some good, solid horror movies to enjoy during my favorite time of year.
I always have my "old reliables" that are a must watch every year (Evil Dead 1&2, Donnie Darko, Trick R Treat, Halloween 1&2, etc)

But I wanted to ask, what are some of your favorite under rated/lesser known horror flicks that you'd recommend?

I'll go first:
The Void - Brand new movie that just came out and is actually on Netflix. Very very good film! I don't wanna spoil anything at all, but very creepy concept and atmosphere. Check it out!

All Hallows Eve - I'm a sucker for horror anthologies, and this one doesn't disappoint. Basically revolves around a babysitter who receives a mysterious VHS tape while watching 2 kids on Halloween night. The tape contains the various segments and all are pretty great. The best one is about Art the Clown, who is actually receiving his own stand alone movie, which I believe is coming out at the end of the month.

So let's here it guys, what are your lesser known/under rated horror gems?

All Hallows Eve is very good. I agree that it is underrated.

There are too many Horror movies that go underappreciated and underrated simply because the Horror genre doesn't get a lot of attention from the movie critics and because the genre is saturated with a huge amount of low-budget movies.

Here are some of my favorites that are underappreciated:

Afflicted
Dead Silence
Eden Lake
Audition
Frailty (more suspense but has horror elements. I love this one!)
Quarantine
It Follows
Dead Snow
El Orfanato (Orphanage: So good! Even if you need to read the subtitles you'll get creeped out! This is actually one of my favorites.)
The Grudge
V/H/S
Mama
Identity (A suspenseful thriller, but has lots of horror elements)
Haute Tension (High Tension)

One should always expect something incredibly silly from Gordon-Yuzna's production.
Not to mention it was so 80's... And I love every bit of it! :lol

But the scary parts are still very freaky.

The Sentinel - Older film from the 70's with a great cast. Film gets grief for exploiting real people with physical deformities but I assume nobody twisted their arm to be in the film. Anyways it has a bit of a made for TV feel but I assure you its not. Far from perfect but few people know about or remember this one.

The Night Stalker
- TV movie from the 70's that was so successful they turned it into a series. Carl Kolchak played by Darren McGavin is one of my all time fav TV characters. Newspaper reporter discovers there is a real Vampire running around the city.

The Haunting - Not the remake... Older film so I am not sure how many may have seen it.. IMO best Haunted House movie ever.

The Legend of Hell House
- Another Older film. Another Great Haunted House film. It's on Netflix so you should check it out if never seen.

Deathgasm
- Silly Horror in the tradition of Evil Dead. Was on Netflix. I don't know if it still is.

Tales of Halloween
- More anthology horror. Not perfect but it has that Halloween type feel. I think its on Amazon Prime.

DAGON -Director of Re-Animator, From Beyond, and Castle Freak gives us another story based on HP Lovecraft. I found this film to be creepy.

Back