MAFEX vs Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Morton

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of starting collecting Star Wars figures... starting with the death trooper from Rogue One.

The price point is pretty much equal so not a factor.

Should I go with MAFEX or with Figuarts.

In general does one make better figures than the other?

Cheers!

They both have their ups and downs. Figuarts is a slightly smaller scale, but is a little more consistent with quality. I feel like Mafex is a little more movie accurate whereas figuarts is a little more stylized. Figuarts has a wider selection. I would really recommend just going with both as they both make really good figures (as well as some not so good). Hope this helped a little:wink1:

Hi,

I am thinking of starting collecting Star Wars figures... starting with the death trooper from Rogue One.

Cheers!

Always remember when it comes to Figuarts the scale is going to be tremendously smaller than an average 6" figure however if you put that aside and you want a beautifully designed and constructed figure no question, Figuarts nails the character, especially the masked SW characters.

Now if you want a scaled figure then it's Mafex, however the body constructed has a tendency to have wonky parts and not always the best proportions of the SW character however the paint schemes on Mafex are quite exceptional and have gotten better each year . The attention to fine detail has also increased with Mafex , especially on SW characters. Sometimes the accuracy is spot on.

So it depends what factors you think you are looking for in a SW collectible.

Hi,

Cheers!

Check out the Mafex shoulder armour (primitive) engineering. For me it's a deal breaker every time. For you, different mileage perhaps.

I own three mafex figures. The OT stormtrooper: one of the worst figures I own; the first Vader, still in the box; the ESB Boba, really nice looking in a few vanilla or semivanilla poses.

As for price, I get the impression Mafex is much dearer than SHF, but you do get more accessories.

They both have their ups and downs. Figuarts is a slightly smaller scale, but is a little more consistent with quality. I feel like Mafex is a little more movie accurate whereas figuarts is a little more stylized. Figuarts has a wider selection. I would really recommend just going with both as they both make really good figures (as well as some not so good). Hope this helped a little:wink1:

My sediments exactly.
Although I've swayed a bit away from 1/12 scale to 1/6 I still pick up a few of these guys. Mafex Fett is a must. Recently got their Deathtrooper which I haven't opened yet but purchased since he scales a bit larger than the SHF version. Picked up Mafex Kylo and Phasma awhile back too. Still have SHF Phasma but she's small and more stylized... not as accurate as he Mafex version. Also SHF Maul is one of their best figs imo.
Collect both... follow reviews and images and see what you like and how you want your collection/display to look like.
Also they're much cheaper than 1/6 figs hehe

Always remember when it comes to Figuarts the scale is going to be tremendously smaller than an average 6" figure however if you put that aside and you want a beautifully designed and constructed figure no question, Figuarts nails the character, especially the masked SW characters.

Now if you want a scaled figure then it's Mafex, however the body constructed has a tendency to have wonky parts and not always the best proportions of the SW character however the paint schemes on Mafex are quite exceptional and have gotten better each year . The attention to fine detail has also increased with Mafex , especially on SW characters. Sometimes the accuracy is spot on.

So it depends what factors you think you are looking for in a SW collectible.

I think tremendously smaller is quite the overstatement. They're slightly under height, but some like Han are the same height. Luke and the droids are fine. And I don't have issues with troopers being different heights because there should be height variation, I usually have several different lines for troopers.

That's exactly what I did. I prefer Figuarts for sculpting, articulation, paint, and general QC but the MAFEX Fetts are something to behold.

Pretty much agree about Fett. I have other Mafex lines like Batman and everything is so crappy, the Mafex droids are pretty **** for QC too, but Fett turned out amazing. I want to get their Rey but not sure on it still.

Back