The Mist (TV series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abake

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
Reaction score
Didn't find a thread on this...

Finally got to see it on Netflix, and I'm suitably impressed.

I don't think I've ever seen such a collection of despicable people all together in one show. There's not one person so far who doesn't revert to meanness, violence and cruelty at one point or another. Except maybe for
Spoiler Spoiler:
. But that's just two out of a pretty large cast.
The "monsters" are kinda meh, but as is usual in King's work, the real monsters are people. Even the ones who are supposed to be the good ones.

There's also a couple of surprising decisions on the show, especially
Spoiler Spoiler:

Other than the mist itself, the show doesn't have much in common with King's novella, but it does make use of some of the themes he usually explores in his work.
Anyway, I really enjoyed the first season, looking forward to the second.

I saw it when it aired in it's entirety, it's a terrible show. Hated the rape subplot, the characters and actors. No monsters was a huge mistake, without them it's just one big soap opera with a scary fog outside. I didn't for one minute buy people falling into Nathalie Raven's cult, just implausible the way it was portrayed.
Spoiler Spoiler:

The movie is vastly superior to this show, at least the movie had a group of characters you could identify with and liked that you really wanted to see them survive.
This will not get a second season.

Watched first 6 episodes today. It's a mediocre mess. All involved in its creation didn't know what they were doing.

I saw it when it aired in it's entirety, it's a terrible show. Hated the rape subplot, the characters and actors. No monsters was a huge mistake, without them it's just one big soap opera with a scary fog outside. I didn't for one minute buy people falling into Nathalie Raven's cult, just implausible the way it was portrayed.
Spoiler Spoiler:

The movie is vastly superior to this show, at least the movie had a group of characters you could identify with and liked that you really wanted to see them survive.
This will not get a second season.

Thanks for saving me time. I'm 4 episodes, and it sucks, won't bother with the rest

I usually stick with shows even if they are bad only because I DVR them. This I didn't record and forgot all about it until I saw it as I was scanning for something to watch. It's really not good. Put aside the terrible CGI, the creatures at least from the two episodes I saw were tiny and were easily visible. The fog was a haze.

:lol

I see my taste in series is about as popular as my taste in movies!
I honestly didn't think it was bad at all...

Well, at least you found enjoyment in the show.
I was actually thinking about the show more since your posting and clued into why it doesn't work for me; The original novella, and the movie did this very successfully, had a very lovecraftian horror element to the story. Which is to say that there's a profound upturning of ordinary life with a power from another world that invades our own and causes people to go insane. I believe that's what the TV show producers wanted too, but because there was still all this drama being carried over from before the Mist hits town, that there wasn't a strong presence of otherworldly things with the monsters, that the characters still believed even at the end of the show that it was only temporary, local, and believed that they would get rescued any minute, that sense of world upheaval was missing. Which is probably why I couldn't buy people giving into Nathalie Raven's cult, things didn't feel like the world was truly over.

That's a good point...
The show doesn't make a very good point of showing that there's something terrible happening inside the mist.
What I enjoyed the most is the interaction between the different characters, and how each shows truly dark sides to their personalities.

Back