1/6 Moving with Sideshow/Hot Toys Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensmitty234

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be moving to a new place this coming August and have a large collection of Hot Toys and Sideshow figures and am not sure how to pack/move them. How have people here handled this issue in the past?

I'm also considering leaving my boxes behind in my parents' basement since they take up so much space.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've gone to target and purchased a bunch of those rubbermaid tubs and put them in there. I didn't move far so i was able to make multiple trips but I always brought them. Left movers out of it.

Get lots of wal-mart bags and wrap the dawls in them. Put them in a box.

Been there done that.

house_043.jpg

Have you finished up your display yet EF? If so I need to see lots of pics.

As for moving, I do a mixture... if there are accessories I'm concerned about getting damaged (like lightsabers) I may rebox some figures. But for the most part I do what others do which is wrap the figures and transport them in another container.

yea, i'll post up some pics. :impatient:

all those baggies from toy anxiety, monkey depot ect for the accessories and into a box. The art boxes themselves in large boxes for transport.

We moved 4 yrs ago. I never let movers touch any figures, accessories, etc.

Everything remained in possession and sight at all times. Made the trips myself.

If they take a box of stuff and it goes missing, or gets dropped, etc. you'll never forgive yourself.

yea, i'll post up some pics. :impatient:

all those baggies from toy anxiety, monkey depot ect for the accessories and into a box. The art boxes themselves in large boxes for transport.

Same here. I moved about a year ago and had to store my collection for a year in storage (don't worry, my collection was in climate controlled storage). I used tissue paper and baggies to make sure my figures and accessories stayed together, placed in large rubber totes. I have about 45 of the Sideshow Premium Format statues, all of which were carefully re-packed into their original art boxes and shippers. THAT was not fun...but unpacking it WAS!!! :)

I wrapped figured in bubble wrap but at a minimum i would suggest wrapping the head to avoid paint rub or chipping.

Im in the process of that right now too, moving this weekend. Spending long nights putting everything back in their original boxes, just because I dont know if and when all of it's actually going to go back up on display. I figure if I end up deciding to sell anything off, at least it'll be boxed up already and ready to go, and storing it in the original trays and boxes is the safest bet as far as avoiding anything breaking.

It really depends on the figure as well. Figures that don't have many delicate parts I think can be packed with one another maybe individually bubble wrapped or wrapped in tissue paper and put in totes. I would actually be hesitant to bubble wrap a figure like Star Lord because I don't know what the plastic would do to the pleather material of the jacket if it got hot. Maybe someone else can shed light on that.
But figures like Batman or Groot with parts that stick out and could easily break, you might want to just put them back in the original box.
I would not pack anything loose in packing popcorn. I did that with some McFarlane statues long time ago and some of the foam from the popcorn actually stuck to the figure.

Just a word of advice, I would not use your parents as a permanent storage. Maybe temporary like six months. I have 2 friends that do that and they never hear the end of it! It's just better to take your stuff with you. That is one of the first things I look for in a new place, I make sure there is adequate extra storage space. Just my 2 cents on that.

Good luck on the move!

The few times my wife and I have moved together I have packed my collection and she has packed (nearly) the rest of the house :lol It's a running joke, but one she doesn't seem to think is that funny :huh

Best advice is to never move... right now we're doing rennovations on the house. That's a lot better than going through the head (and heart) ache of moving all of our crap again :lol I have hundreds of pieces on display in my collection and I definitely have more now than I did when I moved into my home 8 years ago... so I dread the day we move into a bigger house; but I'll revel in the (hopefully) extra display space :lol

I moved my collection last year and used wine boxes. Leave the bottle dividers in, slide the figs into the slots, bag up the accessories, don't let anyone else touch your stuff and drive carefully :)

I moved my collection last year and used wine boxes. Leave the bottle dividers in, slide the figs into the slots, bag up the accessories, don't let anyone else touch your stuff and drive carefully :)

That's how I'll do it (moving at some point this year) -- for a longer haul I'd just re-pack them into their original boxes for peace of mind.

If you still have the box, just put them back.

If not, any plastic wrap will work. Put accessories in some ziploc bags.

I have a small collection of only 14 HT, but I have all of the original packaging for all of them. My wife and I are planning on moving to a bigger house in the next couple of years, so when that happens every gets put back in their proper boxes. It's the best way to ensure their safety and not lose anything. If I had a collectors room with like 100 figures, I'd probably be singing a different tune.

We moved 4 yrs ago. I never let movers touch any figures, accessories, etc.

Everything remained in possession and sight at all times. Made the trips myself.

If they take a box of stuff and it goes missing, or gets dropped, etc. you'll never forgive yourself.

This is my approach as well. If I break it, that's one thing, if someone else does it, I'll be p---ed.

If you are under time pressure to move, plastic tubs. If you are not, and relatively close, it's easier to set up display cabinets and shelves and move a few pieces at a time. I move expensive last.

My funniest mishap, dropping a 3,000 piece lego (star destroyer) in the driveway, I never did reassemble it. That was hilarious! I drank extra tequila that day. :)

Back