Marvel Age of Heroes Exhibit, Tokyo Japan

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Reaction score
I went to this exhibit yesterday and was really, really impressed. I didn't see any threads on it so I figured I'd start one.

https://www.tokyocityview.com/marvel-exhibition/

The exhibit is being held in the art museum/observatory on the 52nd floor of the Roppongi Hills Mori building. So not only do you get to see the exhibit, you get a breathtaking view of Tokyo at the same time! Here's a pic I snapped from my phone:

IMG_0212.jpg

First thing on display was a giant Iron Man statue. Pretty cool, but not really the kind of thing I was interested in. It was like the kind of big replica you'd see at Universal Studios or something.

Along the walls were videos of Stan Lee and Joe Quesada talking about the movies and history and things like that. I didn't pay any attention really cause I already know all of that stuff. In the first display room things started getting good.

There were several actual comic books along with original art on display, most or all of it on loan from Metropolis Collectibles. They had a Marvel Comics number one. In the flesh, so to speak. I also saw a Tales of Suspense 59 (first Iron Man) signed by Stan Lee. An Amazing Fantasy 15 (first Spider-Man.) And a Daredevil number one. If you've been to a big con you might have seen these in person but it was still a thrill to see them up close. All of them were behind glass of course, and graded and slabbed. But still...the REAL thing.

Speaking of the real thing....there were several pages of original artwork on display. Pages from Daredevil number one, early Avengers, etc. How amazing it was to look at lines on paper knowing that they came from the hand of Jack Kirby himself. There was more modern stuff too, including an Alex Ross piece which was cool. But the one that knocked my socks off was the original pencils and inks for Amazing Spider-Man 301. Yes, the 60s stuff has more historical impact but seeing the iconic Todd McFarlane original, inches from my face, with all the little lines and squiggles....that took my breath away!

spidey301.jpg

Now the best part: movie costumes. Again, if you've been to a big Con you've probably seen this stuff or stuff like it, but for me this was my first time seeing Marvel stuff up close so it was cool. There was a little Hall of Armors with IM mk I through IV but those were clearly fiberglass replicas. They were in an area where photos were allowed, so people were posing with them. Like I said, I wasn't interested in replicas...I wanted to see the real things! No photos were allowed.

Going by memory, here's what I saw:

Star Lord's costume from the first GOTG, including the long trenchcoat, along with Awesome Mix Tape One and Two.

Groot's arm and head, used as reference

Loki's costume from Thor, and his business attire from Avengers

Thor's costume from Dark World including his hammer

Hawkeye's costume from AOU

Black Widow's costume (maybe from Winter Soldier, can't remember)

Captain America's WWII costume and shield from Winter Soldier, along with broken shield, also casual Steve Rogers outfit

Ant-Man's costume from Civil War

Dr. Strange's full costume, with amulet, and a tuxedo from the opening scenes

One of Tony Stark's suits

Iron Man mark 42 battle damaged from IM III

Spider-Man costume from Homecoming, along with Stark case that holds the suit, and Peter's backpack, and also several other props from the movie like school books, folders, notes, etc

It was so amazing to be able to get up close and see the intricate detail on these things. Just like when I first got to see the original Star Wars costumes at Magic of Myth, you see all the details that never make it to the screen. Like the wear and weathering on the square buttons on Star Lord's coat. All the little doodads and gizmos on Black Widow's belt.

At the end of the exhibit was the gift shop. Japanese people absolutely love buying merch. Especially if it's exclusive! Here's a little idea of what kind of stuff was there:

https://www.tokyocityview.com/marvel-exhibition/shop.html

I wanted a souvenir but I didn't want to break the bank, so I ended up buying a $10 cloth/towel thing that had a 60s image of Iron Man transposed onto the Great Wave by Hokusai. Nice little mash up of Marvel and Japan.

IM wave2.JPG

There was an exclusive Iron Man SH Figuarts repaint in black and yellow. But it was $60, and that's too rich for my blood for a toy line I don't collect. Limited to one per person, so maybe it'll end up being highly sought after someday?

imfig.jpg

After the gift shop, you go down the escalator to the Hot Toys shop. I think it was basically a pop up store sponsored by toysapiens, which is the official distributor of Hot Toys in Japan. They had just about all of the Marvel stuff on display. Very very cool to see them all together like that. There were a few exclusive Iron Mans, but very expensive, obviously. They also had the latest wave or two of Marvel Legends, for the low low price of $33 a figure.

Hot Toys info here:

https://hottoys-store.jp/marvel/

It was a really cool experience. Well worth the $18 admission. It was just breathtaking to see all those costumes, and the original art made my jaw drop. Obviously I don't recommend flying to Tokyo JUST to see it, but if you're in the area don't miss it.

(But come to Tokyo anyway...it's an amazing city that every geek needs to experience at least once in their life!)

Attachments

• IM wave.jpg
    IM wave.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 198
That sh figuarts mk3 is already expensive in the aftermarket. At least over 200 bucks USD.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting; enjoyed that. Love seeing (real) movie costumes and original art.

At the end of the exhibit was the gift shop. Japanese people absolutely love buying merch. Especially if it's exclusive!

Me too. :cool:

Back