NC-17 Rating for "Grindhouse"?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
RT-News writes: "Consider these seven words describing a scene in "Grindhouse:" "Grossly obese man chewing on a baby." Yeah, so is it any wonder rumors claim the grungy Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez double feature is heading towards an NC-17?

"Some of it is so graphic and outrageous for a major Hollywood studio, there's no question it's headed for an NC-17 without big cuts," says NYP's inside source.

Also stirring things up are the fake movie trailers separating "Planet Terror" and "Death Proof," to be guest directed by genre filmmakers Rob Zombie ("House of 1000 Corpses"), Eli Roth ("Hostel"), and Edgar Wright ("Shaun of the Dead").

With Zombie's trailer for the fictional "Werewolf Women of the S.S.," picture Nazi concentration camps, mad doctors, blood draining experiments, and topless girls getting branded with swastikas.

Andrew O'Hehir of Salon recently saw Eli Roth's holiday-themed trailer (for a fake slasher flick called "Thanksgiving") and called it "unbelievably gruesome...horrifying, hilarious, and guaranteed not to pass muster with the MPAA. (Wait for the DVD, I guess.)"

And says one studio insider: "Some cuts definitely will have to be made. There's no question." Dimension, which is putting out "Grindhouse," had no comment.

Check out the NYP article for more descriptions of lovely and amazing "Grindhouse" scenes. It might be the best we'll get until the unrated DVD.

Source: New York Post, Salon"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=407773

Hmm.... color me interested again :D

Well this should be interesting...

I would think these guys would fight tooth and nail over making cuts to the film(s).

BUT

Many theaters are already hyping the film(s).

So this should be fun to watch play out.

yeah. hopefully it will be an NC-17 rating.
Wont have to deal with the kids beign there that are way too young to be there i nthe first place as many mentioned noticing at 300 (which I noticed as well)

Karma said:
why cut it?

those that want to see, want to see the gore...why take it's essence away?

That's how I feel about it too... This is exactly why I think the MPAA is what is draining some of the artistry and free expression from modern film. censoring the artists original vision until it is "tame" enough for an audience. It's rediculous.

I mean, those who want to see this film are not going to be offended by some Nazi imagery, blood, violence and nudity. The films that this movie is supposed to emulate were exactly the same way, so why change a damn thing?

I'd prefer unrated, but NC-17 is great.

screw the MPAA review board.

although the cynical side of me thinks this is handy for the studios for dvd release time

theatrical release then 6 months later uncut version

The first, and only, NC-17 movie I've ever seen was "Orgazmo" I had *just* turned 17 days before it played at a local theater.

I'd be very happy to make Grindhouse my second NC-17 viewing.

This movie will never see theatrical release as an NC-17. The sad truth is that too many major theater chains won't run a film with that particular rating, and many major newspapers/publications won't even run an ads for them.

Thankfully, DVD has given us an almost guaranteed outlet for "unrated" cuts like the ones we're talking about. We'll see it as intended, but it'll take 6-12 months after theatrical release for that to happen.

Which, of course, somehow manages to totally suck and :rock at the same time.

Kabukiman said:
The first, and only, NC-17 movie I've ever seen was "Orgazmo" I had *just* turned 17 days before it played at a local theater.

I'd be very happy to make Grindhouse my second NC-17 viewing.

Hmmm, that's interesting because the first NC-17 movie I stared in was Orgazmo!!!

So is the US's NC-17 yrs the equivalent to Australias R rating?(over 18's) If so.. ****. I REALLY wanted to see this in cinemas.
I know exactly what you mean about the youth in films today though. I consider myself at an age where Im old and mature enough to see these kind of films, but I've noticed a massive increase of younger viewers in higher rated films nowdays.

From what I understand is that the US version of R means nobody under 17 gets unless accompanied by a guardian. NC-17 means nobody under 17 gets in, period.

Kabukiman said:
From what I understand is that the US version of R means nobody under 17 gets unless accompanied by a guardian. NC-17 means nobody under 17 gets in, period.
In theory you need a guardian to see an R-rated flick if under 17. Most of the time when I was younger they rarely carded me, despite having signs everywhere saying you needed to be 17 to purchase an R-rated ticket. I have actually gotten carded more after I turned 17 then before.

Do newspapers and tv stations still refuse to accept advertising for NC-17-rated films?

I guess we will get a hacked-up "R" version for theaters, and then the unrated DVD. Sucks, because these really need to be shown in their intended state on the big screen.

Back