Is a custom or SS 1/3 scale A3 maquette more desirable these days?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveL

Super Freak
Reaction score
With the rarity of any of the 1/3 scale A3 'Dog' Alien maquettes being available,which is more desirable these days, a rare custom painted Micheal Burnett Productions piece,a one of the kind 'Larry's Garage Kit Asylum' custom or is the SS 1/3 scale A3 maquette the one with the most appeal, considering how much people have been asking for them these days.

img_168209_23420108_1.jpg

IMAG001.JPG

7198_press01-001.jpg

I would have thought there would have been at least some opinion on the subject.

I can't speak for broader trends, but I consider either of those two customs more desirable than the Sideshow dog alien. As nice as the SS piece is, the other two look more screen accurate.

I remember seeing one of that first custom on Ebay years ago for $400, and I have been kicking myself ever since for not buying it.

My assumption is that people "desire" licensed products more.

Unsure if the kits are licensed. If they are, ignore me. :p

I personally like much more the first 2 than the Sideshow one, thus i would buy the firsts and not the SS one even if found them for the same price (i personally never liked the SS one, even the 1/6 HT always looked much better for me). This said, could you please give us more pics and info of those 2 customs? Is it possible to still find any of them either painted or unpainted? Thanks a lot.

The 2nd one is the better of two IMO. Nice pieces.

I like the 2nd one the best as well. The first one is really good though too, I just don't care for the pose as the dog alien was on all fours most of the time in the film. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but the head on the SS one looks too small to me.

I can't speak for broader trends, but I consider either of those two customs more desirable than the Sideshow dog alien. As nice as the SS piece is, the other two look more screen accurate.

I remember seeing one of that first custom on Ebay years ago for $400, and I have been kicking myself ever since for not buying it.

$400 WOW!!! How times have changed. I bet that piece would fetch thousands today!

My assumption is that people "desire" licensed products more.

Unsure if the kits are licensed. If they are, ignore me. :p

I personally like much more the first 2 than the Sideshow one, thus i would buy the firsts and not the SS one even if found them for the same price (i personally never liked the SS one, even the 1/6 HT always looked much better for me). This said, could you please give us more pics and info of those 2 customs? Is it possible to still find any of them either painted or unpainted? Thanks a lot.

I believe the first image of the Micheal Burnett was an actual licensed product.They had crappy paint jobs from what I understand and I don't know if they produced that many of them.The second picture of the 'Larry Garage Kit Custom' was a 'special' kit from a friend he knew that worked at ADI. It's the only one I've ever seen built and painted.If you are familiar with Larry's work you would probably understand why.

He does some absolutely incredible work of his own along with owning some of the rarest prop pieces!

https://larrysgaragekitasylum.com/

Here is a link to an old forum thread that tells the story about the Larry Garage Custom and the only other online pics that I know of it.By the way,the Steve mentioned on that forum is not me.

https://predatorium.com/threads/alien-maquette.4137/

Here are the other pics of the custom Micheal Burnett that I have on my thumb drive.The MB maquettes don't have the see through dome or separate mouth tendons that you can see through the side into the mouth area like the 'true' ADI maquettes.The heads on those are a solid piece of resin.

img_168209_23420108_2.jpg

img_168209_23420108_3.jpg

img_168209_23420108_4.jpg

img_168209_23420108_5.jpg

img_168209_23420108_6.jpg

I found another picture of the Larry custom when it was still in his collection on my thumb drive.I've actually seen it in person.I know the guy who owns it now.It's a really awesome piece!

lifesizefigures-1.jpg

Anyone remember what the dimensions were for the SS A3 maquette shipping box? Just curious to know what it would cost these days to ship that monster, with the ridiculous "dimensional weight" these shippers' now charge.

Back