FrankenFan's Buffy and Angel Banners

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankenFan

Abnormal Brain
Reaction score
At Protozaius' request, a trip down memory lane with my Buffy and Angel faux figure banners.

Dave once mentioned to me in chat that Sideshow would occasionally get calls asking when the figures depicted in my banners would be available for sale, so I guess some people out there took notice and liked what they saw.

The banners are presented here in the order in which they were created, not necessarily in the order in which they were first posted.

So, without further ado, my very first banner, campaigning for a Vampire Buffy.

I was ridiculed, even insulted — someone actually called me a "vampire-chick fetishist " — but guess what? I got me a Vampire Buffy, and, it turned out to be one of the most well-received and best-reviewed figures in the line.

vmpbffmeblnkrl4.gif
vmpbffdjt3.gif

C'mon! it's battle-damged Ted? What's not to like?

bdtwy8.gif

This next one started life as an avatar for former board member and über Judge fan, Gooball.

jdgmeaw5.gif

The one and only PF banner — so far, and the first in the new and improved format and size.

Very few people thought the idea of a PF Buffy was even remotely feasible, let alone a mini-skirted, season one B. But guess what?

bffypfxf0.gif

This Dru banner was originally made for Gil Galaad HK's sig, another former board member. When he/she went AWOL, I reclaimed it for my own.

drslloh2.jpg

Ah, Anyanka. I really really wanted an Anyanka figure.

anykhc0.jpg

dhffrynvs7.jpg

anykdhffrynbr7.gif

Who among us did not want a Dark Witch Willow? Hands? I thought not.

dwwzr3.jpg

Buffy Banners, Set 2

Buffy Banners, Set 2

This next one is one of my favorites:

pbmg7.jpg

I really, really wanted this next one, too, to complement the Anyanka I really, really wanted.

wvbtb5.jpg

C'mon! You know you would have bought a Doublemeat B! Her hat has a cow!

It originally read : "SDCC 2005 Exclusive," or something to that effect. I changed it to read "Web exclusive" after the Con exclusives were announced.

dpbos8.jpg

How great would a talking BuffyBot have been?

bffybtya6.jpg

This Vamp Darla banner was magical — the figure was announced a day or two after I first posted it. Got the episode right, too.

vmprdrlpy5.jpg

I was not pleased with the way these next two turned out, so they were seldom posted.

trnswllwdy4.jpg

trnswllwfc8.gif

Cio-Cio-San Willow; How cute is that?

nghtmrswllwgb0.jpg

I always resisted making a Giles banner because I had a gut feeling that once Giles was announced, it would signal the end of the line. I gave in and made one to keep Thamesvalidude happy. Happy, now, T'dude?

glsuy7.jpg

This next one is another of my personal favorites:

brgbffygj4.gif

Buffy Banners, Set 3

Because he brings the fun in and he reminds me of the famous El Diablo Wacky Wobbler from Funko:

swtwy5.gif

The Judge would have been a cool build-a-figure, with each piece in an accompanying box. I've heard a rumor that he was in development, scrapped, and evolved into Der Kinderstod. Hey, it could happen!

jdgnf6.jpg

Talk about a long-shot!

ktvsav1.jpg

I was surprised a Turok-Han never represented:

trkhnlg6.jpg

As much as I dislike human Xander, I wanted a Vamp Xander to go along with the Anyanka I really, really wanted and the Wishverse Buffy I really, really wanted.

vmprxndryq2.jpg

And finally, the first slayer, the Primitive:

prmtv.gif

Last edited:
In Memoriam Buffy

This homage from The Gift was my initial "Buh-Bye Buffy" tribute, but I thought it was a bit to maudlin, or, as my grandmother was fond of saying, schmoltzy.

gftripty0.jpg

So, I decided on something a bit less maudlin and clichéd, that still summed up my feelings:

bffyhdstnil3.jpg

They're good. I've seen some of them before so they must of been in your signatures. It's good how you made the banners and then Sideshow would make the figures. Shame they aint taking note now though

Angel Banners, Set 2

This is the revised generic teaser:

angltsrclrot4.jpg

Stupid, complicated costume! I'll have to change this one to read: "Premium Format Figure, Coming Soon?"

illyriagy8.jpg

Gotta keep the Darklord happy!

skipuo0.jpg

Right on the money with Cordy!

crdlass6.jpg

I think Number 5 would have been a popular figure with lots of cross-marketing possibilities. Good thing I'm not a part of Sideshow's Marketing staff, eh?

nmrcncsc1.jpg

C'mon! It's Vampire Harmony! We loved to hate her on Buffy; We hated to love her on Angel —*and guess what? We were right!

vmprhrmnypv2.jpg

Boo! He gutted Wesley:

cryrsvlno0.jpg

It doesn't get much creepier than these two:

archdksbssswb6.jpg

slvii3.jpg

sbsssslvgs8.gif

Angel Banners, Set 3

On second thought, maybe it does:

sklshdmnvm5.jpg

Krevlorneswath of the Deathwok Clan:

lrn.jpg

D'oh!:

dmnangl.jpg

This wacky Deathwok Clan-member would have made a swell SDCC exclusive:

nmfr.gif

nmfrdolv0.gif

And, sadly, we all must join Numfar, and no longer do the dance of joy...

nmfrnood6.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow, these are all amazing!

I adore the added blink on Vamp Buffy, and the dancing Numfar and that last Angel banner is just superb!

Gorgeous, gorgeous work. :D

Having that banner was almost as good as finally getting the figure announced. If only you could work that magic on an Illyria and a Wes, Frankenfan. Such great banners, such a waste by Sideshow.:monkey2

You know I've always appreciated (and collected) your banners Kurt! Kind of sad to see them in order and know it may be over (for now)...

Your work leaves me speechless, FrankenFan... and more than a bit choked up. :monkey4 :monkey4 :monkey4

I too have collected your banners over the years. It's GREAT to see them all in one place. :D

A deep felt thank you for taking the time to post them and for humoring this monkey's request. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

LONG LIVE THIS THREAD!!!

Always loved those banners Frankenfan. :rock Makes me long for what will now probably never be.

At least make the Vamp Xander Sideshow!!!

I always loved your banners too and was hopeful that Sideshow would give us each and every one of those figures. It makes me the most sad to see that we'll most likely never see any of the Angel ones, especially Wesley and Illyria (and I'd kill for that talking Buffybot!).

Wow! I really had no idea so many people were following the banners! Thanks to everyone for your generously kind words and praise. And special thanks to Protozaius, who suggested I post them all.

I still have some banners left unfinished — Clem, Loan Shark, Jenny/Eyghon, Hellion Leader, to name more than a few. I've got my reference assembled, but have not gotten around to composing the final image.

There will be more banners, however. Maybe a set of "Bring Back Buffy/Angel userbar-styled banners that could be added to your sig. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in, or if you have any other thoughts for a subtle graphics campaign to keep the spirit of the Buffyverse alive.

In the meantime, be on the look-out for Premium Format, Buffyquette™, and Angelquette™ banners, coming soon!

FrankenFan said:
Wow! I really had no idea so many people were following the banners! Thanks to everyone for your generously kind words and praise. And special thanks to Protozaius, who suggested I post them all.

I still have some banners left unfinished — Clem, Loan Shark, Jenny/Eyghon, Hellion Leader, to name more than a few. I've got my reference assembled, but have not gotten around to composing the final image.

There will be more banners, however. Maybe a set of "Bring Back Buffy/Angel userbar-styled banners that could be added to your sig. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in, or if you have any other thoughts for a subtle graphics campaign to keep the spirit of the Buffyverse alive.

In the meantime, be on the look-out for Premium Format, Buffyquette™, and Angelquette™ banners, coming soon!

:D :chew Sounds awesome!

Back