Sideshow interview in Buffy and Angel magazine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueworld

Super Freak
Reaction score
I got my issue of Buffy/Angel magazine where they interview Sideshow and where they talk about the cancellation of the Buffy/Angel line. I scanned it in for those who'd like to read it too.

Thanks for the scans, Sueworld!

I went looking for the Buffy Mag yesterday but came up empty handed.

Well i guess that kills off my hopeful scepticism. it defintely looks like the end of the line. I just don't get how Brant can say that they've covered all the major characters without a Wes or a Fred.

I am so pissed! (in the American sense!):emperor :emperor :emperor

Ok, i've read it and i'm saddened even more because it's confirmed that the 12" Buffy/Angel lines are retiring but also at the same time i'm excited to hear there's gonna be a PF Angel and that Sideshow are willing to carry on the PF's after 3 big characters.

Thanks for the scans.

Well, Sideshow did leave the door open for more 12-inch figures in the future. Also, it sounds like there could be a few more PF figures after Angel as long as Buffy, Spike, and Angel sell well.

It's funny... Brant alludes to how BOTH these lines are reaching their satisfying conclusions. Okay, you could make a case that the Buffy line has a satisfying cap to the line in the release of Rupert Giles. But the Angel line... a line that is only a year old and has a mere THREE figures to it's name (geez, the Highlander line had more offerings!!! :monkey2 ) gets a "satisfying" cap with a double dip of one of the previous scant figures? :confused:

Those PR guys... a pretty slippery lot they are. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Yah, thanks for the scans, sueworld.

ETA: Some of the info sounds out of date. Were they planning to release an SS exclusive Cordy with diploma and katana, and a regular one with just the katana? I got one from SS and a retailer and both had the diploma and exclusive sticker. I have a couple of Lorne too so I don't think I'd spring for a third, but it makes me wonder if there actually will be a blue suit Lorne.

Last edited:
thamesvalidude said:
I just don't get how Brant can say that they've covered all the major characters

It's Corporate speak/flannel/spin/bs - we're hardly going to get someone from the upper eschelons of SSC coming out with a more truthful statement that they've killed off the 12" Buffyverse series with several key characters left unmade and another two stuck with fugly figures - that would hardly fill the punters with confidence with the future of their other lines...

... though some grizzled veterans will know that feeling all too well (cough cough POTA cough Highlander cough). And cue my flashback to the Playmates 12" Trek figures - that line folded without a Doctor Bev... now ****ing SSC have done it to me again with Tara! Pardon me while I break out the pitchforks and torches.

(Grumpy) Nick
(sheesh, never a Babylon 5 Talia or a decent Farscape Aeryn either...)

Every day it gets more and more tempting to cancel my two SW preorders. I just look at the ones I have already and resent them.

Thanks for posting the scans Sueworld. Reading that it sounds like they put the lid on the coffin, just haven't nailed it down and buried it yet. :monkey2

Protozaius said:
It's funny... Brant alludes to how BOTH these lines are reaching their satisfying conclusions. Okay, you could make a case that the Buffy line has a satisfying cap to the line in the release of Rupert Giles. But the Angel line... a line that is only a year old and has a mere THREE figures to it's name (geez, the Highlander line had more offerings!!! :monkey2 ) gets a "satisfying" cap with a double dip of one of the previous scant figures? :confused:

Those PR guys... a pretty slippery lot they are. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Totally agree with you on this. Yes, I will agree that the Buffy line had a healthy run (even though I think there are many more figures that could come out of it) but Angel's line is just a tease with really only two new figures considering Angel was also done for the Buffy line and the outfit and sculpt are so similar.

I bought 'City of' Angel because I thought I'd be getting at least the core group of characters from Angel.

And I wish Sideshow had announced this to us, the loyal collectors, that the line was ending. We got the news from an "Ask Sideshow" thread and were told the line was on hiatus.

As for the PF figures if they do an Illyria I will splurge on her because she was my most wanted Angel figure.

Firefly Flanatic said:
but Angel's line is just a tease with really only two new figures considering Angel was also done for the Buffy line and the outfit and sculpt are so similar.
A "tease" is the perfect way to describe it. The core cast of Angel would only consist of six figures (Angel, Cordy, Wes, Gunn, Lorne and Fred), if they weren't committed to producing those six figures then I can't imagine what compelled them to start the line at all. As I've said before, I'm glad we got what we got, but it really confounds me what they were thinking.

I know the old SSC wouldn't mind making a 12" figure of 500 pieces that sold out in a couple months, but I wonder what the modern SSC standard is that makes a figure worthwhile producing. Its funny how there is reference to excitement in Buffy being generated, while ignoring the idea that SSC itself was very capable of generating excitement in Buffy related merchandise, but just kind of slipped them out there with no fanfare.

I still think Sideshow missed an opportunity to increase interest in the line by doing another Buffy. Cordelia, Giles, Lorne, etc may not sell, but the (non-horribly ugly and worthless) Buffys have all sold out and are expensive on the aftermarket. Even a rerelease of Graduation Day Buffy, say with a new costume, like the Bond rehashes, might've reignited some interest in the line.

THIS LINE SHOULD NOW BE KNOWN AS ''THE DEAD'' LINE....OH WAIT, THERES ALREADY A ''DEAD'' LINE:lol

On the bright side to the interview, Im so psyched for the PF Angel :rock Although I hope it doesnt ship for a LONG while. I cant handle more PF's this year!

Yes, thanks, sueworld! Funny, funny, stuff!

Shai Hulud said:
THIS LINE SHOULD NOW BE KNOWN AS ''THE DEAD'' LINE....OH WAIT, THERES ALREADY A ''DEAD'' LINE
Yes. I believe the line you are referring to is named "Highlander."

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Back