The Wailing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this last night, it was the film I have most looked forward to in 2016, I loved the directors last two movies, The Chaser and The Yellow Sea. But I was so disappointed. It is very beautiful and some scenes are really intense, but the stupidity and lack of logical thought with the protagonist was mindbogglingly.
I wasn't scary in the traditional way, no jump scares which was kind of a relief, it was more of a creeping horror that build. In the last 30 minutes (out of 157) it started to get really good, only to absolutely make no sense at all. Or... it made sense, it was just so mind numbing disappointing that when it ended I was like "really? That's all you got. After 157 minutes?"
The subtitles made no sense sometimes, so I might have missed something crucial on the dialogue, and it might also be a cultural thing, but I had no problems with his last two films. This is about religion (I laughed very hard when the protagonist talks to a priest, who asks him if he has seen these "demons", when the protagonist says no, the priest asks "how can you believe something you can't see?" and then tells him to go home and not to worry. If you can't see it, it ain't there.) and religion is experienced differently in different parts of the world, so I might have missed something there as well.
I write this, cause as I said, it might be a cultural thing. Something I missed or simply don't understand. But to me, it felt like the director/writer Na Hong Jin had too much power this time, no one opposed him and asked the simple questions like "your main character is a policeman. When he finds a man who has pictures and belongings from all the dead victims in his house, why don't he arrest him or at least question him?" or "Does our protagonist needs to such an idiot?" or "can we do without the goofball humor, it seems out of place, I said this in the last two films and they worked great."

SPOILER!
As Robert Downet Jr. said in Tropical Thunder - "never go full retard." I would suggets to horror film makers "never go full devil."
SPOILER END!

Somebody help me out.

Back