The Disney Juggernaut

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushmore223

Super Freak
Reaction score
As of this past weekend, Finding Dory passed the $1 billion dollar mark, the 3rd movie this year to do that, all of which are Disney movies.

As a matter of fact, the Top 4 movies so far this year are all Disney films.

1. Captain America : Civil War
2. Zootopia
3. Finding Dory
4. The Jungle Book

With Rogue One and Moana still to be released, it seems believable that not only will the Top 5, perhaps even Top 6 films be Disney films, but they will add a 4th $1 billion dollar earner this year.

Disney literally has a stranglehold on cinemas, makes me wonder what studio/property they will buy next.

I think their next big acquisition will be LEGO. In the meantime, they'll work on buying up smaller television, cable, and satellite networks.

And to think the film division is one of Disney's smallest parts of the company, it makes up like maybe 10% of their revenue. The biggest shock to me is that ESPN is its number one money maker.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

1848050-juggernaut.jpg

The amount of pap coming out of Hollywood otherwise and it's no surprise that Disney is killing it.

Studios are too risk-averse and don't have the balls to produce an original story anymore. It's either remakes, reboots, prequels, sequels or action heroes.

Disney largely has Pixar to thank for turning their studio around too. Before they brought them on board their 3D arm was a mess.

Studios are too risk-averse and don't have the balls to produce an original story anymore. It's either remakes, reboots, prequels, sequels or action heroes.
True, but as far as creating and promoting safe rehashes playing on vague nostalgia and name recognition, Disney does a much better job than the other guys.

ESPN being the money maker isn't a shocker. Sports are huge mainly because of betting.

ESPN use to be a license to print money but they are making less and less due to competition. Know we have Fox1, CCS sports, NBC Sports just to mention a few. So many sports channels are starting to take a bite out of ESPN.

As of this past weekend, Finding Dory passed the $1 billion dollar mark, the 3rd movie this year to do that, all of which are Disney movies.

As a matter of fact, the Top 4 movies so far this year are all Disney films.

1. Captain America : Civil War
2. Zootopia
3. Finding Dory
4. The Jungle Book

With Rogue One and Moana still to be released, it seems believable that not only will the Top 5, perhaps even Top 6 films be Disney films, but they will add a 4th $1 billion dollar earner this year.

Disney literally has a stranglehold on cinemas, makes me wonder what studio/property they will buy next.

Disney has been smart with their acquisitions
Pixar
Marvel
Lucas Films

Back