Shelves vs Besta

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aa909

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to plan out my man cave, so i've been exploring options and reading through these threads for some ideas.

Notice most folks use Bestas or Pax from Ikea, but why not wood shelves? I figure if you anchor the brackets into the wall studs then the shelves should be very sturdy.

Would love to get more ideas from folks, as well as learn which shelves to buy (if that is in fact the direction I go).

thanks
Art

I think (but don't know for sure) that one of the appeals of the Ikea units is that it keeps dust off of the figures.

We don't have an Ikea anywhere nearby, and for my space they would have trouble fitting, so personally I go with shelves. I use glass ones though because I like how they look, and I do make sure they are anchored in the walls with those expanding metal anchors (not the plastic ones that come with most shelves). Dust IS a problem, but I just take care to keep the figures as clean as I can.

I think (but don't know for sure) that one of the appeals of the Ikea units is that it keeps dust off of the figures.

We don't have an Ikea anywhere nearby, and for my space they would have trouble fitting, so personally I go with shelves. I use glass ones though because I like how they look, and I do make sure they are anchored in the walls with those expanding metal anchors (not the plastic ones that come with most shelves). Dust IS a problem, but I just take care to keep the figures as clean as I can.

thanks for the reply. Which shelves do you use? do you have a link you can share?

I've used shelves for years and dust and dirt are a huge issue. Even with regular cleaning some of my figures are so dusty I may have to consider washing the outfits to get them clean. I am adding an addition to my house and am considering a closed case as well since dusting and cleaning 100 plus figures is a huge time killer.

thanks for the reply. Which shelves do you use? do you have a link you can share?

I picked up these cable supported glass shelves on Amazon several years ago.

8013fab8384d2bf57f73f1c1fddb27f0.jpg

I don't know if they are still available but will try to find them if I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting ready to plan out my man cave, so i've been exploring options and reading through these threads for some ideas.

Notice most folks use Bestas or Pax from Ikea, but why not wood shelves? I figure if you anchor the brackets into the wall studs then the shelves should be very sturdy.

Would love to get more ideas from folks, as well as learn which shelves to buy (if that is in fact the direction I go).

thanks
Art

If you can't make it work with a wall stud then you might want to try E-Z Ancor. You can screw them into drywall without a drill and the bigger ones will support up to 75 lbs.

I have Bestas, and I like the fact that they reduce the amount of dusting significantly.

Also, since i have LED strips in them, the backing of the cabinet is nice to hide the cables and switches. Here an old image of my collection (I've sold/bought figures since this was taken), but you should get an idea

^^^ Yeah, I'm liking the idea of going the besta route with doors to eliminate the dust issue. No way will I be dusting these statues regularly.

So now the question is Besta vs Pax... :)

^^^ Yeah, I'm liking the idea of going the besta route with doors to eliminate the dust issue. No way will I be dusting these statues regularly.

So now the question is Besta vs Pax... :)

from my experience,

Besta are nice, because they have doors sized for you. But you are limited in terms of number for figures per shelf.

The Pax have more breathing room for displaying figures, but you have to get custom made panels (others correct me if I'm wrong)

Back