The Frankenstein Brothers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Super Freak
Reaction score
I made some comparison pictures of both Frankenstein Premium Formats.
The SSE version seems to be a little bigger and there has been made some improvements.
His chest is bigger in profile and his head is tilted a bit.
His clothes also fit better.
So if I had to chose, I would go for the SSE edition ...

Might be fun for the fans to compare:

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Vince said:
I made some comparison pictures of both Frankenstein Premium Formats.
The SSE version seems to be a little bigger and there has been made some improvements.
His chest is bigger in profile and his head is tilted a bit.
His clothes also fit better.
So if I had to chose, I would go for the SSE edition ...

Might be fun for the fans to compare:

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Is the SSE version the one on the right? If so then that would probably be the one I'd buy. :D

Blu-Vapor00725 said:
Is the SSE version the one on the right? If so then that would probably be the one I'd buy. :D

Yes it is. It's also my favourite ...

I like the costume weathering on the SSE , but the pure whites of his eyes is a bit odd, giving him an unrealistic appearence.

It looks like the Frankenstein on the left has a case of the sniffles...

Poelzig said:
...but the pure whites of his eyes is a bit odd, giving him an unrealistic appearence.

????
As opposed to a REALISTIC-appearing Frankenstein monster ??!!!

What strikes me the most after looking at Vince's photos — and my own color version in comparison to his latter PF brethren — is how much this figure did not stand the test of time.

It was never, IMO, the best likeness — I always saw more of Jeremy Irons than Karloff in the portrait, and, tailoring and fabrication has come a long way since the PF line was first introduced. Plus, as Universalrocks pointed out, why the blue eyes? Additionally, and again, IMHO, the hands never seemed right to me. They appear to be doing the "friend...?" gesture, but the distinctive way Karloff stiffly held his hands and splayed his fingers could be better realized.

Don't get me wrong — I'm not trying to bash these figures. It's just that seeing them in this context really shows their age.

I'd love to see The Monster revisited and revived with the advancements in production the present-day PFs enjoy. That goes for the Vampyre, too.

warlock664 said:
As opposed to a REALISTIC-appearing Frankenstein monster ??!!!????
If I understand Poelzig's remark, correctly, he's referring to the fact there is no tonal value to the sclera — in the photos, at least, it appears to be pure white. Compared to the variety of grey tones on the face, the eyes look "unrealistic" in that context.

FrankenFan said:
What strikes me the most after looking at Vince's photos — and my own color version in comparison to his latter PF brethren — is how much this figure did not stand the test of time.

It was never, IMO, the best likeness — I always saw more of Jeremy Irons than Karloff in the portrait, and, tailoring and fabrication has come a long way since the PF line was first introduced. Plus, as Universalrocks pointed out, why the blue eyes? Additionally, and again, IMHO, the hands never seemed right to me. They appear to be doing the "friend...?" gesture, but the distinctive way Karloff stiffly held his hands and splayed his fingers could be better realized.

Don't get me wrong — I'm not trying to bash these figures. It's just that seeing them in this context really shows their age.

I'd love to see The Monster revisited and revived with the advancements in production the present-day PFs enjoy. That goes for the Vampyre, too.

If I understand Poelzig's remark, correctly, he's referring to the fact there is no tonal value to the sclera — in the photos, at least, it appears to be pure white. Compared to the variety of grey tones on the face, the eyes look "unrealistic" in that context.

I totally agree! I've always said I liked the Frankenstein PF the least of all the monsters. Not that it is bad, but I just like it the least and the likeness was never completely there for me.

The Fankenstein PF definately shows it's age when you compare it to the recent PFs unlike the Dracula PF which still has held up extremely well. The tailoring on it alone IMO is still better than almost all of the PFs since it. Even with it's flaws I still cherish my Frank PF. :D

I'd love for Sideshow do a new Frank PF from Bride or Ghost.

FrankenFan said:

that sure is true.
It's very noticable on Frankenstein and Vampyre that they were the first steps in the PF domain by Sideshow.
But they made some great improvements from the regular to the SSE edition.
It just looks much more realistic I think.

Anyway, at Spooktacular SS said that they would love to and were thinking about making new versions of Frankenstein and Vampyre.
With a new sculpt and wealthier base !

The SSE Frankenstein & SSE Mummy are my favorites of all the PF figures made.:D

Now for a Ardeth Bey SSE PF figure, COME ON SIDESHOW GET TO WORK!!!!:rotfl

Also, Where are The Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein Monster figures in 12 inch & PF SSE format?

I'M WAITING!!!!:tap :lol

Bernie Wrightson Figure Idea Update:

Sideshow could do the figures both in Color & SSE! The Exclusives could be done in Bronze! like they did with the bust in 1996!

Last edited:
The Monster said:
The SSE Frankenstein & SSE Mummy are my favorites of all the PF figures made.:D

Now for a Ardeth Bey SSE PF figure, COME ON SIDESHOW GET TO WORK!!!!:rotfl

Also, Where are The Bernie Wrightson Frankenstein Monster figures in 12 inch & PF SSE format?

I'M WAITING!!!!:tap :lol

Hmmm?? Wrightson's Frankenstein in 1/6th? That actually is a very interesting idea... They could release figures in conjunction with the new book (that is, if the book ever gets released!).

The Monster said:
Yes I had thought of that.

I emailed Liz about adding my name to the list of people buying the book.

I've been on that mailing list since pretty much it started... something like two years now... and not one single email update!!! I'm beginning to wonder if this book will ever see the light of day! I think they are still trying to gather all the artwork for reproduction...

lcummins said:
I've been on that mailing list since pretty much it started... something like two years now... and not one single email update!!! I'm beginning to wonder if this book will ever see the light of day! I think they are still trying to gather all the artwork for reproduction...

I have contacted Bernie Wrightson himself about buying of one those Bronze Frankenstein Busts from him.

So far I have yet to get a reply. :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

I like my SSE Frank, but have debated selling it in favor of the 1:1 bust.

SideshowSSEFrankensteinPF028.jpg

SideshowSSEFrankensteinPF001.jpg

lcummins said:

Lonnie the book is to come out in 2008.:D

Back