Asmus Gandalf the Grey review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Let's keep the sixth scale love going with a look at a figure that was *this* close to perfection. The new Lord of the Rings Gandalf the Grey from Asmus is a massive step up from their earlier Gandalf the White, but I still had a couple issues that hurt an otherwise terrific looking figure. You can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-081016a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Great review, thanks Michael.

A pity about those ankles, I like them tight too. The nose I think will bother me more though, simply because no amount of padding or tightening will hide that schnozz.

it's a real pity, that's too big a nose! otherwise looks like a very solid release... thank you.

The face sculpt on this figure just guts me. I want to buy this figure so bad but I know I won't be happy looking at it. I really hope the future releases are more LOTR looking.

:waveAlways appreciate you careful reviews:):clap! Yeah, I noticed the nose too - not sure what happened there - but IMO there is so much good here *shrug* and I wonder if - w. paint - a common cosmetic trick would work to make a nose look smaller - https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Big-Nose-Look-Smaller if folks want to futz. Wonder if you could test this w. dollar store makeup so its not permanent.

But then I go look at pictures of the "real" Gandalf and it's kind of hard to say, IMO. In some shots his nose either seems slightly larger or broader at the tip - also seems to shift in appearance re expression - not sure this nose is that far off depending what images ASMUS was working from?

Anyway, your great review actually made me re happy I pre-ordered, think some early pics made me nervous but overall this looks like an outstanding Gandalf - really happy to the hear the hair actually works well. I am going for the Hobbit look - more like the box picture - so I'm probably definitely going to give his hair a nice wash and style maybe even add to it. Get him a sparkly scarf too re the films, or do something w. the included scarf.

Thankfully sounds like no arm problems holding staff or sword, so I can deal w. the ankles (amazing shoes and costume:clap) and am sure ASMUS will respond to that issue in future releases. Not sure it is a huge issue for Gandalf re the ankles but for a possible Thranduil, Thorin, Gimli...yeah, IMO those joints need to be strong - no floppy bodies, arms, legs for warrior and hobbit figures. Like a Martin Freeman Bilbo and Frodo and Sam....

I ordered from Sideshow and re the staff, there is this on Sideshow's page:

One wizard staff, used in The Hobbit movie (available during PRE-ORDER ONLY. Photos coming soon.)

As I understood it, the extra third staff is a pre-order exclusive. So it had better be in my box when Gandlaf shows up. I wanted to order from ASMUS directly but the site was having too many glitches that day and I couldn't even order from them.:cuckoo:

Another great review! I am very much looking forward to this figure and I hope loose ankles aren't a problem across the board

I really hope that's true, but Sideshow was the only site to say that, other than Asmus. I'm hoping they didn't just do a copy/paste on the description and make an error! We'll find out soon...

Argh - maybe I should contact Sideshow...Sideshow even has the slideshow image of the "exclusive" staff. Not a deal breaker but wouldn't be too happy w. Sideshow for that kind of laziness, normally I refuse to pre-order anything. Hate to nag at ASMUS but their own site seems to have glitches *sigh* or I would have ordered from them anyway.

Back