• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Boromir EXCLUSIVE MIB

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlock664

Super Freak
Reaction score
Looking to pick up the Sideshow LOTR Boromir EXCLUSIVE (with cloak and severed Orc head) MIB/Never Opened.

Got it, thanks anyway, and best of luck selling yours. It's a good price and I would have taken it if I hadn't already found one.

Just a question. MIB, never opened. What happens if YOU open it, and it appears to be damaged? I'm only asking because I wanted to keep all my 12" unopened, but some board members adviced to check for damages, since quite a few SSC 12" figures had arrived broken. So, what's best? Leave them sealed, and risk a hidden flaw, or open them, be sure to have a flawless item, but loose the title of 'never opened'???

I always open mine check the joints that they all move, check the delicate parts and that the eyeballs are not crooked.

you only get 30 days to return it.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Just a question. MIB, never opened. What happens if YOU open it, and it appears to be damaged? I'm only asking because I wanted to keep all my 12" unopened, but some board members adviced to check for damages, since quite a few SSC 12" figures had arrived broken. So, what's best? Leave them sealed, and risk a hidden flaw, or open them, be sure to have a flawless item, but loose the title of 'never opened'???

MIB or MISB in my description means sealed unbroken, never removed. If the item was opened for inspection, I would include that in my description. The Boromir I have is MIB, sealed and just given a visual exterior inspection. In my experience, SS hasn't produced a great deal of defective products and as long as you don't ship UPS, it should arrive OK. Here in FL, a UPS substation in Jacksonville has a conveyor belt that lets your item drop 10 feet. Can you imagine..10 feet?

In the case of selling a 12" figure, I leave the item factory sealed in it's collector box. If the seal is broken, it's no longer mint. Some guy is selling a 12" SS Mummy right now on eBay. His description says the item was removed for inspection. Well, that item will now go for half of what he could of gotten if he kept it sealed. If the item was removed, it could have easily been displayed.

In the case of a polystone figure, if I acquire an item off the secondary market, I will open box, visually inspect the item, but not remove or display the item. This method will be in the description. In the case of acquiring a polystone item directly from Sideshow, I keep the item factory sealed. To give an example, a General Grevious would be impossible to remove for inspection and then replace it back. Once that baby comes out of the many layers of packaging, there's no going back.

Of course, when I am keeping an item, it's opened completely and immediately upon receipt no matter what the media used.

When I ship, it includes insurance so if the item arrives damaged, it's covered. Knock wood, I haven't had a problem with damaged items, either receiving or sending. I can safely say, I package my items 10 times better than SS because I fill all the voids of the box with either bubble wrap or peanuts. Check out my eBay feedback from buyers.

kodiak8658 said:
MIB or MISB in my description means sealed unbroken, never removed. If the item was opened for inspection, I would include that in my description. The Boromir I have is MIB, sealed and just given a visual exterior inspection. In my experience, SS hasn't produced a great deal of defective products and as long as you don't ship UPS, it should arrive OK. Here in FL, a UPS substation in Jacksonville has a conveyor belt that lets your item drop 10 feet. Can you imagine..10 feet?

In the case of selling a 12" figure, I leave the item factory sealed in it's collector box. If the seal is broken, it's no longer mint. Some guy is selling a 12" SS Mummy right now on eBay. His description says the item was removed for inspection. Well, that item will now go for half of what he could of gotten if he kept it sealed. If the item was removed, it could have easily been displayed.

In the case of a polystone figure, if I acquire an item off the secondary market, I will open box, visually inspect the item, but not remove or display the item. This method will be in the description. In the case of acquiring a polystone item directly from Sideshow, I keep the item factory sealed. To give an example, a General Grevious would be impossible to remove for inspection and then replace it back. Once that baby comes out of the many layers of packaging, there's no going back.

Of course, when I am keeping an item, it's opened completely and immediately upon receipt no matter what the media used.

When I ship, it includes insurance so if the item arrives damaged, it's covered. Knock wood, I haven't had a problem with damaged items, either receiving or sending. I can safely say, I package my items 10 times better than SS because I fill all the voids of the box with either bubble wrap or peanuts. Check out my eBay feedback from buyers.

Wow youre like my new idol. can I have your autograph??

kodiak8658 said:

Ok, but that still doesn't explain what to do when you buy (or sale) an item that is not covered by the SSC returns policy any more, has never been inspected, but appears to be damaged. What to do if you own one of those, and after 15 years you decide to open it, just to discover it's broken. Well I guess you can say that these 15 years were good years, since you always thought the item was ok. I would be very disappointed to open a box, just to discover the figure is broken, and since the manufacturer guaranty has expired for many years, I'm stuck with it.
So MIB is fine, but I know for sure that my 12" are in prime shape, because I inspect them, and then I put them back in their box. If I ever should decide to sale mine (which I don't), at least I am sure the other person get's a figure that is 100% undamaged. And as for the never been displayed part, he would have to take my word for that.

Anyway, since it is possible to get your figures graded, do you know if there are "official" rules for these kind of things that can be consulted on the web?

Belive it or not, but I unpacked my General Grievous, put him together, inspected him for flaws, and put him back in his box the way he was. I took pictures of how he was packed, so putting him back in his box was not to difficult. But I admit, without picture guide, you're lost! Would be a nightmare to discover he was damaged once I found a good place to display him!

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Ok, but that still doesn't explain what to do when you buy (or sale) an item that is not covered by the SSC returns policy any more, has never been inspected, but appears to be damaged. What to do if you own one of those, and after 15 years you decide to open it, just to discover it's broken. Well I guess you can say that these 15 years were good years, since you always thought the item was ok. I would be very disappointed to open a box, just to discover the figure is broken, and since the manufacturer guaranty has expired for many years, I'm stuck with it.
So MIB is fine, but I know for sure that my 12" are in prime shape, because I inspect them, and then I put them back in their box. If I ever should decide to sale mine (which I don't), at least I am sure the other person get's a figure that is 100% undamaged. And as for the never been displayed part, he would have to take my word for that.

Anyway, since it is possible to get your figures graded, do you know if there are "official" rules for these kind of things that can be consulted on the web?

Belive it or not, but I unpacked my General Grievous, put him together, inspected him for flaws, and put him back in his box the way he was. I took pictures of how he was packed, so putting him back in his box was not to difficult. But I admit, without picture guide, you're lost! Would be a nightmare to discover he was damaged once I found a good place to display him!

1- If you sell it, blame the damage on the shipping company, it's insured. :monkey3 :lol Seriously, if the item's shipping box shows abuse, there is more of a chance the item will be damaged. Use your own discretion when deciding to open a package. It may be necessary, but this can be mentioned in auction description.

2- If you keep it for 15 years and one day you decide to display it, don't bother worrying. Removing it from the box has just changed it's value to that of an item removed and displayed. Break out the super glue and enjoy your piece. :google I have a Dark Lord Sauron (not the one for sale) that got bumped and the 'just laying on top of the neck' helm fell to the ground breaking three points. They have been superglued and lightly covered with a black sharpie, with the breaks nearly invisible. Crap happens.

3- If you buy it, ask questions BEFORE bidding on the item. If the item is a last minute find and you don't have time to have your question answered, either don't bid on the item or keep your bids on the light side and take the chance. :confused:

4- No official grading rules I know of, except those 'rules of ethics'. I am also an eBay buyer. I just sell with the intention to treat the buyer like I would want to be treated, and it usually works out. :D

Ok, Kodiak. Thanks mate! I wasn't aware that there's such a difference between unopened, and opened only to check for flaws. I know that if the seal of a package is broken, it can either mean that it's only opened to check for flaws, or that it was opened, displayed for 15 years, and then put back in the box to offer as 'only opened to check for flaws'.
After all, it doesn't matter that much to me, as I buy only to keep, and not to resale. But since all my stuff (well like 99% of it), is still in boxes, only opened to check for breakage, I find it a bit unfair that it's considered worth less than an unopened item that could be damaged. Guess that's just the way it goes...

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Ok, Kodiak. Thanks mate! I wasn't aware that there's such a difference between unopened, and opened only to check for flaws. I know that if the seal of a package is broken, it can either mean that it's only opened to check for flaws, or that it was opened, displayed for 15 years, and then put back in the box to offer as 'only opened to check for flaws'.
After all, it doesn't matter that much to me, as I buy only to keep, and not to resale. But since all my stuff (well like 99% of it), is still in boxes, only opened to check for breakage, I find it a bit unfair that it's considered worth less than an unopened item that could be damaged. Guess that's just the way it goes...

Please keep in mind that the amount any item is worth depends on who is buying it. To a serious collector, these differences are crucial. To someone that likes the item and may never resell it; someone who may want to immediately display the item, it may not matter at all. If I'm going to resell an item, I would personally prefer not to eliminate the serious collector from the bidding spectrum. :D Your mileage may vary.

Back