Serenity 2-Disc Special Edition Coming!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protozaius

Chief Defender of Faith
Reaction score
Joss Whedon has just confirmed that, due to the HUGE sales of the regular release, Universal is going to release a 2-disc Special Edition this summer!
:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

He states that he is looking to add all of the extras that was in the Region 4 release as well as, hopefully, a cast commentary... with as many cast members participating as possible. Personally, I hope Nathan is there. The running commentary with Nathan and Joss on the pilot episode of "Firefly" is my favorite commentary of them all. :D

Now, if only there is enough sales to warrant a sequel.... :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Protozaius said:
Joss Whedon has just confirmed that, due to the HUGE sales of the regular release, Universal is going to release a 2-disc Special Edition this summer!
:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

He states that he is looking to add all of the extras that was in the Region 4 release as well as, hopefully, a cast commentary... with as many cast members participating as possible. Personally, I hope Nathan is there. The running commentary with Nathan and Joss on the pilot episode of "Firefly" is my favorite commentary of them all. :D

Now, if only there is enough sales to warrant a sequel.... :monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Heh. I already got the 2 disk SE version. Ex Rental from my DVD store for $A10.

Would it be worth it to get the new edition? I already own the current two-disc edition. (And a spiffy tin case :D )

The US got the short shrift on this DVD release, so it would certainly be worth it for us, plus any help supporting Serenity/Firefly shows that fans are willing to support the franchises with their dollars.

I recorded this recently in HD off HBO and finally got a chance to watch it this weekend. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The CG work on the scenes when Serenity is flying past the Alliance ships with the Reavers following them was phenomenal!

And you know what? Most of the effects were done with Lightwave 3D, which is a much lower-end software than what studios usually use. They used it in the TV show which is understandable but they also used it for the really good effects in Serenity, and it's only a $1,000 piece of software.

I'll be sure to get the Special Edition of it. I'm still hoping to get an HD-DVD player so I can watch it in High-Def.

darthviper107 said:
And you know what? Most of the effects were done with Lightwave 3D, which is a much lower-end software than what studios usually use.

Wow! :google

hairlesswookiee said:
i'm buying it. anyone know if there will be a HD DVD release???

Since there is already a single-disc HD-DVD release of this movie, I doubt they'd release a special edition already. Seems like it took years for some early DVD releases to get special editions. After watching the HBO HD feed of this, I don't think I could watch a standard DVD of it.

I'm still holding out to see who wins the high def war before I jump into that pool. :eek:

Great movie, I had to go rent Firefly and watch it after. Then of course i had to watch the movie again, even better the second time. I own the HD-DVD but have yet to get a player to watch it on. :lol

LordAzrael said:
Heh. I already got the 2 disk SE version. Ex Rental from my DVD store for $A10.

I have this 2-disc version as well... I have the EzyDVD tin case for it as well. The new 2-disc set is suppose to have all of the extra content in that release as well as a bunch of new stuff never released before.

It's the cast commentary I'm looking forward to. I hope it happens. :monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

I have the standard dvd and the hd-dvd and I'll be getting this one when it comes out. I do hope we'll get a high def version of it. Maybe they'll do one of those dual discs that has standard on one side and HD on the other.

If they do this special edition in HD, it might make me buy the player. I just got an HD TV and I hate that the broadcast stations look so much better than my DVDs now.

But if it has a Nathan/Joss comentary it's an easy buy either way - every public appearance I've seem of them they are hilarious together.

Firefly Flanatic said:
I have the standard dvd and the hd-dvd and I'll be getting this one when it comes out. I do hope we'll get a high def version of it. Maybe they'll do one of those dual discs that has standard on one side and HD on the other.
thats what im hoping. i just bought one of the 360 drives and i plan on downloading the programs/drivers to run it on my media center PC and then hook it up to my new tv.

screamingmetal said:
Crap, why the hell did I buy the single disk edition? I won't be double dipping on this one.
why not?? its for a good cause... higher sales means people are still interested in the movie/ tv show.

LordAzrael said:
Sell it on ebay now... then pick up the new version when it comes out.
I highly doubt I'd get the money I paid for it, which is what is most disagreeable to me. I like the movie, but it's not worth trying to get the 2 disk. I'll be content with what I have.

Back