Ignite Newbie has questions - Please Help

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Ape

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently purchased five Ignite figures and was hoping for some comments. Unfortunately I bought them before reading older reviews on this site. I haven't seen these figures in person but they look too cool to pass up. I've read Michael Crawfords reviews for most of them and they have gotten good reviews. I plan on switching out the bodies, if they are as bad as people make them out to be. What company would you suggest? Sideshow, DML, or Did?

The five figures I bought are:
1) Roman Centurian - Ignite (2004) -2nd version w/ red cape
2) Roman Imperial Legionary (2005) (red Tunic)
3) S. P. Q. R. Julius Caesars Legions Roman Centurion (2006)
4) S. P. Q. R. Julius Caesars Legions Roman Imperial Legionary (2006)
5) S. P. Q. R. Julius Caesars Legions Roman Imperial Signifer (2007)

Darklord Dave, I have read your review about Caesar, (luckily before I purchased) and was also put off by the plastic looking armour.

So I would really appreciate anyone who could help me with the news on these figures.

I have also seen pics for the upcoming Greece Hoplite - Spartan (2006) and
Greece Hoplite - Spartan King Leonidas (2006)

To me, these guys look great, but you guys would know better, so please advise.

Thanks a bunch.

I'd go with BBi, DiD or HT bodies. A lot of people transplant onto Dragon, but I don't think Dragon has a realistic enough look in the unclothed portions of the body.

The thing that really draws these figures down is the cheap looking headsculpts. They look like they're off 9.99 TRU kiddie dolls.

Thanks a bunch for the speedy reply Dave. Maybe I'll go DiD, seeing that their figures look great, and I'll propbably start buying more of those.

DiD's bodies are a bit larger than DML and Ignite I think, so I'm not sure it would work for all armour but it's well worth the try.
I transplanted my hoplite to a Hot Toys muscular body and that's a really big one so... I'd advice it to anyone since it really brings out the figure way better.

The new hoplites look cool and there's really no alternative for us in this era so discussion is pointless. We'll just have to buy what we can and alter what we don't like.

Btw, be very very carefully with the javelins, I broke two by just unpacking them.

I've bought multiples of all the Romans so far (but only one Caesar) and have customized them so that they are all in red tunics. The headsculpts are pretty lousy but with the helmet shaped around the cheeks the poor sculpts can be hidden. I've bought worse. much worse.

Great Thanks guys. I haven't received them yet. They will be shipping soon. I bought them from goodstufftogo.net

You guys mention hot toys bodies. Do they sell nude bodies seperately? I've noticed a lot of their figures run $100+, too much for my blood. I guess I won't use DiD's bodies due to the girth of the figs. Any recommendations on headsculpts? I want them to be bearded, as I imagine most of them were. I have plenty of old DML neo adam figs. I never got into BBi, so I don't know much about them.

Great Ape said:
Great Thanks guys. I haven't received them yet. They will be shipping soon. I bought them from goodstufftogo.net

You guys mention Hot Toys bodies. Do they sell nude bodies seperately? I've noticed a lot of their figures run $100+, too much for my blood.

Hot Toys released 2 nude male figure bodies not long ago, called New Generation Bodies, a Caucasian and an Asian/Hispanic figure with darker skintone and black hair. The headsculpts aren't fantastic, but neither are they terrible...and they'd probably work well with the Roman figures you're getting from goodstufftogo. I just checked and they still have some for sale on their site for $26 each, so you might want to check it out. The Hot Toys bodies have better shoulder articulation than most, which allows for more realistic action poses, especially for military figures, IMO. Hope this helps.:D

Last edited:
Mudshark said:
Hot Toys released 2 nude male figure bodies not long ago, called New Generation Bodies, a Caucasian and an Asian/Hispanic figure with darker skintone and black hair. The headsculpts aren't fantastic, but neither are they terrible...and they'd probably work well with the Roman figures you're getting from goodstufftogo. I just checked and they still have some for sale on their site for $26 each, so you might want to check it out. The Hot Toys bodies have better shoulder articulation than most, which allows for more realistic action poses, especially for military figures, IMO. Hope this helps.:D

That helps a lot Mudshark thanks a bunch. I received my figures yesterday, and really like them a lot. I want to now get the:
1) Roman Empire - Vexillarius - Legio X Gemina
2)S. P. Q. R. Julius Caesars Legions Roman Vexillarius

I'm still on the fence with:
Roman Republican Legionary , and Roman Legions - March Pack

All remarks welcome; please advise

I thought I'd share my photos with all of you, sorry but I'm not good at taking photos like other people on this site.

Photo25.jpg
Photo27.jpg

Photo30.jpg
Photo29.jpg

Photo28.jpg

Glad to help out. Thanks for posting the pix! I've been eying those Roman figs now for several months, but I've only got the first one they did a couple of years ago. I like what I see and will try to pick them up as soon as I can afford it. I have about five or six of their early figs, the Crusaders and Vikings mostly, but I'm glad to see they're still going strong. :D

NP. Might you know of any place that parts these out? I could really go for a few more tunics, capes, sandles etc.

I saw that Battlerhino had a few items up but the really good stuff is gone.

Great Ape said:
NP. Might you know of any place that parts these out? I could really go for a few more tunics, capes, sandles etc.

Sorry, I can't help you with that one, but maybe someone else can. :rolleyes:

Great Ape said:

The Battle Rhino is really the only place that parts them out regularly. I've seen them parted out at Red Planet Toys as well but they don't have any of the ones you are looking for.

Thanks SM, I guess I'll have to wait for BR to restock. I just got the:
1) Roman Empire - Vexillarius - Legio X Gemina
2) Roman Legions - March Pack

for $45 ea.

Just need the S. P. Q. R. Julius Caesars Legions Roman Vexillarius and I'm good till the Spartans come out

This is the pic that they have for Leonidas...all I can say is sad....very, very sad.

gr036coming.jpg

Really nice pictures, G.A. I have 1 of the "Greece" Hoplites and enough spare parts from Battle Rhino (https://www.thebattlerhino.com/) to make 10 or 12 more once I get off of my can and get the chitons and some linen/leather armour made. I'll pick up more parts from the Spartan figures when they become available.

It's always nice to see another Ancients collector about.

Rabbit

Last edited:
Wow, I've always wondered about these figures, but never gave into them because of all the mixed reviews. I've been laid up for a bit and have been watching the BBC 1976 series "I Cluadius." A Masterpiece IMO.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the Ancient times but these figures look really cool. I thought the Spartans look especially cool. What's wrong with them? I have a Cotswold Roman and was hoping to get some more, but I want the ones with the Leather chestplates and red plumage on their helmets. Does anyone make them?

Rabbit said:
Really nice pictures, G.A. I have 1 of the "Greece" Hoplites and enough spare parts from Battle Rhino (https://www.thebattlerhino.com/) to make 10 or 12 more once I get off of my can and get the chitons and some linen/leather armour made. I'll pick up more parts from the Spartan figures when they become available.

It's always nice to see another Ancients collector about.

Rabbit

Thanks a lot Rabbit. Yeah since I bought these I really enjoy them and am hooked. Hopefully I'll get the Roman Empire - Vexillarius - Legio X Gemina & Roman Legions - March Pack figures next week. The March Pack figure, I planned on parting out. I'll switch his red tunic with one of the exclusive ones and maybe take his belt and try to make another legionary. I wish I had another shield, helmet, and footwear though. Do you know how often BattleRhino restock their inventory?

Stickman - Always enjoyed your ape photos. I like these figures a lot. They seem to have a lot of kitbashing potential. Pretty expensive though.

I'm not too suave about costume design either. I was just at BattleRhino and was wondering would a legionary or Roman Guard wear a cape. Howabout Alexander's cape? I think it would be cool to have an Archer to. Any suggestions? Thanks

P.S. Rabbit I would love to see any photos you have and would love to see that collection when its complete. Great Sig.

Back