Can anyone suggest a good HS to represent the Death Squad Commander?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Day

Super Freak
Reaction score
My 12 back collection is almost complete except for one figure that has never been made by Hot Toys or Sideshow and never will be - the Death Squad Commander!I'm kit bashing my own using 12" Hasbro parts and a KO TT body but can anyone suggest a HS that more or less resembles the actor on the card or even the bland HS on the figure itself?

DSCommander.jpg

I always thought he looked like Ed Harris, and planned to make mine with that sculpt, but to get the DiD Marine head might be cost prohibitive. It'll be interesting to hear who others see in that image.

I agree he looks like both Ed Harris and Robert Duvall but as far as I know there's never been a high end HS of Duvall; I will look for the Harris one.

Have other people made this kit bash? What other parts have people used?

Chaka is one of the only (if not the only) one's that I can think of that made the guy on the card with the ear pieces and cord and such. Most people just make the Kenner figure, DST helmet and blaster. That's what I did at first. I think thats the Praji head, so anything nowadays would look more real.

IMG_2062.JPG

Haven't had time to do the actual carded guy

Yeah, I did a generic Death Squad Commander a while back. There are some pictures of him in my custom thread.

I didn't really try to replicate the actor on the backer card. Enaud had a good sculpt on his custom that looked like the actor, but i can't remember where he told me it was from.

Yeah, not sure you want to replicate the actual character. He doesn't have any rank badge, gloves or belt. The only thing that distinguishes him is the headphones/curly cord, and perhaps his age.

I believe has regular long pants too, not tucked into boots. I think this was the only thing Kenner got wrong in the whole line :monkey3, but yeah Tom, you have to decide card back guy, or fake gray Death Star Trooper guy for your last 12-back. The two are quite different.

I also did a bash of the '12' DST a while ago. I think Chaka and I used the same DID head. I chose this as he seemed to have the same benign expression as the the 3 3/4 figure.
IMGP4302_zpsc32bnno5.jpg

Nice figure Cavlcade...

Darth_IMPoor - I came across this: 162586014_toysheadquarters-michael-caine-1-6-figure-head-sculpt-.jpg
Toysheadquarters Michael Caine 1 6 Figure Head Sculpt Batman Headplay aside from it being a 'bad' Caine - may just make you a good DS Commander???

^^ Yeah that's the head I was going to use... until I realized I wanted a "real" DSC with insignia, belt etc It's a bad Caine but it works nicely for the actor.

It's unfortunately not a hugely cheap head (always seems to be over $20 including shipping, usually closer to $25) despite being a very poor Caine.:dunno:lol

I also did a bash of the '12' DST a while ago. I think Chaka and I used the same DID head. I chose this as he seemed to have the same benign expression as the the 3 3/4 figure.
IMGP4302_zpsc32bnno5.jpg

Wow that looks superb :clap

Are there reference photos of this?

pic showing Cushing's socks is the only one I've seen where you can see his pants, and it's a low quality pic that you can just barely see the pants. Maybe there's another pic.

pic showing Cushing's socks is the only one I've seen where you can see his pants, and it's a low quality pic that you can just barely see the pants. Maybe there's another pic.

This is definitely the shot I was referring to, but in looking it up again, the angle isn't quite there on the one "common" picture. Unless I saw this scene from a better angle on a rarer pic, I may have just imagined I saw regular pants. It had been a while.

aastarwarstoyscushing999.jpg

This is a great photo! I would love to add a DSC to my collection, he was my favorite 3 3/4" figure as a kid. I never liked the plastic hasbro helmet and am keeping my fingers crossed that SS or HT will eventual release one, as well as an updated Rebel Fleet Trooper.

I used the CalTek 10th SS Panzer division Frundsberg head for my Death Squad Commander.

Here's an older picture of mine. I used the previously mentioned head for the trooper on the right.

Back