The Shallows (2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this film today and loved it. 2016 really is the year of the low budget monster thriller (with The Witch, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and now this.)

The first third of the film is Blue Crush, the second third Open Water, and then the final third was basically kickass girl vs. monster. The last act DOES play by different cinematic rules than the first two, so in that way it somewhat echoes 10 Cloverfield Lane, but if you can accept it as a straight up "woman vs. monster" flick instead of the documentary-style "woman vs. nature" film that the trailers made it out to be it is quite thrilling. I still had goosebumps *after* I left the theater as I continued to play the finale back again in my mind.

This will be a career defining movie for Blake Lively as she basically carries every minute of the entire film on her shoulders with a surprising amount of acting range. I even give credit to her for "selling" the more absurd moments of the climax with just how much you get into her plight.

Highly recommended.

This thread=
Jedi-cats-gif.gif

I would like to see this but will probably not have time in the theater. I'm actually more interested hearing that it gets weird at the end. :lol

:duff

I've actually been looking forward to seeing this since I saw the trailer.

Apparently if your movie has no nudity and almost no swearing you can get away with a HELL of a lot of blood with a PG-13 rating. There's a self-surgery scene that literally made me dizzy with how graphic it was and I typically don't get squeamish at *any* gore.

Apparently if your movie has no nudity and almost no swearing you can get away with a HELL of a lot of blood with a PG-13 rating. There's a self-surgery scene that literally made me dizzy with how graphic it was and I typically don't get squeamish at *any* gore.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Not a great movie but I would watch it again when it shows up on cable/satellite. Final scene was original, but the two scenes I enjoyed seeing the most were:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well, there's also gratuitous shots of Blake Lively in a bikini. :rock

I saw this film today and loved it. 2016 really is the year of the low budget monster thriller (with The Witch, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and now this.)

The first third of the film is Blue Crush, the second third Open Water, and then the final third was basically kickass girl vs. monster. The last act DOES play by different cinematic rules than the first two, so in that way it somewhat echoes 10 Cloverfield Lane, but if you can accept it as a straight up "woman vs. monster" flick instead of the documentary-style "woman vs. nature" film that the trailers made it out to be it is quite thrilling. I still had goosebumps *after* I left the theater as I continued to play the finale back again in my mind.

This will be a career defining movie for Blake Lively as she basically carries every minute of the entire film on her shoulders with a surprising amount of acting range. I even give credit to her for "selling" the more absurd moments of the climax with just how much you get into her plight.

Highly recommended.

Oh man we disagree again Khev :(

I thought The Shallows was very average... It started out great... Had a great first 1/2 hour to 40 min (first few attacks on main character were Very freaking intense). The second 1/2 hour was OK but started to outstay it's welcome (stuck on a rock). The last 20 min was kinda eye rolling and a big drop off from the promise of the first 1/2 hour.

Want to see a great Shark film Watch "The Reef" instead. Best shark movie after JAWS. It is also based on a true story that stays true to what really happened. Biggest difference was who survives and the fact it was a Tiger shark (real life) and not a Great White (movie).

the-reef-dvd-cover-29.jpg

I heard it was terrible.

I would not call it terrible. The last 10 min comes close to terrible though :(

1st 30 to 40 min is great stuff. Next 30 is OK and good enough. Had the ending been great this could have been an all timer for me. It was good enough for me to purchase in the future because it still is one of the better Shark Films. But It's not as good as The Reef, Open Water, and of course JAWS (was not expecting it to be). I liked JAWS 2 more also :) So I guess that makes it the 5th best shark movie ever :)

So is it just a regular Great White Shark?

Not just any great white but the smartest Great white ever.. Bruce had nothing on this Serial Killer mentality this shark possessed. Apparently it's very territorial about it's huge food source. So much so that it ignores the giant food source :lol

Back