Custom Batman Beyond Head/Cowl

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJCprops

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
This is my Batman Beyond digital sculpt. I am planning to make a full size cowl, but since the digital file can be scaled, it could be printed at any scale size. From my research for reference images, I did not find many decent looking Batman Beyond figures that had a good looking cowl that is still based on the original animated series look.

final model.jpg

That looks more wolverine than batman beyond hahaha.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Wow I didn't know that giving my honest opinion meant that I'm an *******. Stop being so ******** aye ;)

That looks more wolverine than batman beyond hahaha.

There are similarities in the features and the way the ears connect to the head but there are many differences.
On Wolverine's cowl, the ear fins connect at the top of the eyebrows and extend out going away from the face to the side. The top line of the fin is the same line as the top of the eyebrow. Batman Beyond is similar but the eyebrows are a clearly separate part from the ears. The connecting lines where the eyebrows meet the ears are more similar to that of the '89 and Batman Returns cowls than to any Wolverine design I have seen, and I have done a Wolverine also. The defining characteristics of Batman Beyond's design that make it different from just regular Batman are most obviously that it covers the whole face, secondly the details on the side of the face by the cheek and jaw. This part was difficult to translate from the simple two color animation drawings and I based it largely on a figure design I found that I felt most closely resembled the animated design. The last prominent feature is that the ears are taller than most other Batman designs and they are much wider from the side view than any other Batman version since the first appearance design, which very much does look like Wolverine. The line of the ears also continues all the way back on the head instead of terminating closer to the top o the head.
Here is the best picture I could find of Batman Beyond from the side that illustrates my points.
batman-beyond-animated-short-with-kevin-conroy.jpg

Here is my design printed and painted the appropriate colors.
IMG_2199.jpg IMG_2200.jpg

The front view looks spot on but the side views look very similar to wolverine's mask. Maybe because of the way it curves. I think it would look more accurate if you could straighten the ears more from the sides. If you get what I mean.

Back