PDA

View Full Version : Lack of 1/6 figures for Japanese cartoons

potato
05-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Anyone felt there's a lack of 1/6 Figures from Japanese Cartoons?

In terms of popularity I doubt Japanese Cartoons lose out to Western ones which has alot more characters being made into 1/6.

And when there's a character being made, it's usually don't last more than 3 characters.

While there are a few from non-Robot shows, I can't think of much of characters from popular shows like Gundam 0079. There has been 2 Char, few Female characters from Seed by Megahouse, 2 Kouji Kabuto from Azone, i think that sums it up, and also 3 from Robotech by Toynami (& a few vintage ones).

Would be nice to see more of them because they do have nice designs.

And so far there's close to Zero customizers doing Japanese Cartoons & Video Game Characters where there's many good customizers on Western Cartoon & Games. Where's the love?

Kibagami
05-05-2016, 10:28 PM
There are a ton made by Medicom.

gogul1
05-06-2016, 12:37 AM
I really want 1/6 scale Cyber City Oedo 808 figures. Sen goku, gogul and Benten at least. I know I'm the minority but they would look amazing!
Imagine having 1/6 scale retractable sai and collars on their necks. Benten could have some wire to wrap around things and gogul could... Well stand there and look hard as sh¥t!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160506/3c77199e7b3a0e92dadf7d817f8f908f.jpg

fosing
05-06-2016, 01:29 AM
im down for some Rurouni Kenshin/samurai x figures....even if its from medicom, i'd bite. (gooood lawd) lolz
him primarily.lolz
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/narutosk/Galeria/Images/SamuraiX/12.jpg

potato
05-06-2016, 02:39 AM

Tons of Kamen Riders. Lupin 3rd went for quite a long run, but the rest is just...

Snake Plissken
05-06-2016, 04:12 AM

End thread. :lol

devilof76
05-06-2016, 04:46 AM

And they're good at it. I wish they had done the Champloo figures instead of Triad.

I've actually never seen one from them that I wanted. They made a Maetel way back when. Their insanely priced Harlock gave me hope that they'd update her with Tetsuro and Emeraldas. Still waiting.

They should do an Inuyasha line. Seems kinda crazy that they never bothered. Same with Sailor Moon. Bandai could have made a mint sub-licensing either of them to Medicom.

potato
05-06-2016, 07:05 AM
And they're good at it. I wish they had done the Champloo figures instead of Triad.

I've actually never seen one from them that I wanted. They made a Maetel way back when. Their insanely priced Harlock gave me hope that they'd update her with Tetsuro and Emeraldas. Still waiting.

They should do an Inuyasha line. Seems kinda crazy that they never bothered. Same with Sailor Moon. Bandai could have made a mint sub-licensing either of them to Medicom.

For Medicom they have some Anchor lineups: Kamen Rider, Ultraman, which are still quite active, Lupin 3rd is the biggest lineup for cartoon, slowed down alot to a point they only released 1 live action Lupin recently, modern ones that are still considered active: Evangelion, Attack Of Titan, Paula Magica Madoka (who actually follow this show?), Jojo is going really slow, and what supposed to be the biggest japanese cartoon in the West, Dragon Ball also flopped and the line got cut after 4 releases (a scouter Vegeta might have saved the line). Cyborg 009 only released 5 figures of 4 Cyborgs.

The rest are just 2-3 figures line up like Fist Of North Star (another big hit flop), A****a Joe, Black Jack, Mazinger/Great Mazinger/Getter 1, Getter 1 Test/Grendizer, X-Men Animated, Spiderman/Venom/Punisher, Fate Zero, Kill La Kill, Berserk, Alchemist, Death Note, Gantz, Cobra and a few more.

Theres a full list on Medicom page: http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/prod/1/

If you consider the fact all these were produced in span of 20 years, it's really not that many, and the fact only Medicom is doing them means they can only do so many. The rest of the 1/6 companies aren't into Japanese Cartoon stuffs & focus more on western movies & games.

While Medicom's quality may be questionable, i still respect their persistent in continuing producing cartoon characters that mass market outside Japan aren't interested in, it's almost on par with the obsession Hot Toys has over Marverl & Avengers.

potato
05-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Also, while it's good to have your favorite characters from your favorite shows turn into 1/6, I'd be more happy if they can pick up decent shows with good character designs, since my favorite show doesn't always translate to best designs. I just watched Crusher Joe, while not my top shows, it's good and Joe & Alfin have good character designs, you know compared to characters like Son Goku from one of my favorite shows. Goku's outfit is just too simple & boring he looks better without his shirts.

Kibagami
05-06-2016, 08:35 AM
End thread. :lol

:lol

But seriously, Medicom pushes out the most. There are other obscure companies that do major properties such as One Piece, Naruto, Berserk, and even Vagabond (a popular manga but not an anime, yet).

And many, many more.

WhoaItsJBot
05-06-2016, 08:40 AM
I'd love a high quality Spike Spiegel. I think there's an older figure but new releases would be nice. Add Samurai Champloo and Trigun to that as well.

ironwez20
05-06-2016, 01:49 PM
Medicom I think only does what's popular and well known in both Japan and in America . They pretty much did all the well known anime except one piece but one piece has billions of figures.

TimespliTT
05-06-2016, 02:13 PM
i was just thinking this yesterday.............. wow

anyhow, the medicom 1/6 anime characters are the closest we will get. but they arent 100% accurate. i think medicom's goku looks like he belongs on a MADtv sketch. medicom always do something to make me not want their toys to skinny or cloths are to baggy, medicom could learn from inflames

i want inflames ****shi but its like $350

fosing
05-06-2016, 06:22 PM
i was just thinking this yesterday.............. wow

anyhow, the medicom 1/6 anime characters are the closest we will get. but they arent 100% accurate. i think medicom's goku looks like he belongs on a MADtv sketch. medicom always do something to make me not want their toys to skinny or cloths are to baggy, medicom could learn from inflames

i want inflames ****shi but its like $350

you snooze you lose. :lecture
should have PO him.

potato
05-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Medicom I think only does what's popular and well known in both Japan and in America . They pretty much did all the well known anime except one piece but one piece has billions of figures.

did you check their latest releases for the past 2 years? it's about a group of magical girls, i don't even know what the title is, but some of them have really big heads.

those "well known" not even 5% of the well known cartoons in Japan.

potato
05-06-2016, 08:12 PM
I'd love a high quality Spike Spiegel. I think there's an older figure but new releases would be nice. Add Samurai Champloo and Trigun to that as well.

there's 2 Spike Spiegel, 1 TV 1 Movie. The TV version is abit Goofy, the Movie version has too wide upper body & baggie suit.

but to be honest, while it's a great show, Spike's design is just too plain, if he had a better suit & color choice... abit like Son Goku in terms of plainness. I know the purpose of making them look simple is so people can recognize them, but you don't always need to be simple to look good & memorable.

ironwez20
05-06-2016, 10:48 PM
did you check their latest releases for the past 2 years? it's about a group of magical girls, i don't even know what the title is, but some of them have really big heads.

those "well known" not even 5% of the well known cartoons in Japan.

Yea your actually right this time. These new medicom figures coming out now are for those People who like little girls as magical people or somthing.

fosing
05-07-2016, 12:32 AM
http://i1.wp.com/static.thetoychronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Get-Lucky-RAH-Pharrell-Williams-i-am-OTHER-Action-figure-By-PERFECT-STUDIO-x-Medicom-without-hat.jpg?resize=1000%2C1200

medicom fights back.

potato
05-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Yea your actually right this time. These new medicom figures coming out now are for those People who like little girls as magical people or somthing.

dude i've been alwasy right just you never bothered reading.

Thainitty
05-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Hot toys does great anime figures when ever they get around to doing them...few and far between but really nice

kyekye
05-09-2016, 12:13 AM
Hot toys does great anime figures when ever they get around to doing them...few and far between but really nice

You mean like City Hunter, Gorgo-13, Appleseed and Captain Harlock? Was there anything else?
You shouldn't count Kerberos or Game figures (Metal Gear) as Anime figures - because they are....NOT.

Anyhow, I personally think Hot toys put a wrong guy in charge in Japan division. Maybe he has some language skills like Chinese/Japanese/English or friend with Howard Chan, but certainly don't have good marketing skill or item selection skill.

potato
05-09-2016, 12:28 AM
You mean like City Hunter, Gorgo-13, Appleseed and Captain Harlock? Was there anything else?
You shouldn't count Kerberos or Game figures (Metal Gear) as Anime figures - because they are....NOT.

Anyhow, I personally think Hot toys put a wrong guy in charge in Japan division. Maybe he has some language skills like Chinese/Japanese/English or friend with Howard Chan, but certainly don't have good marketing skill or item selection skill.

don't think they have a call in which figure to make. they are more on sales & contract negotiations.

potato
05-09-2016, 12:30 AM

20th Century Boy's Friend, i think that's it. might have some other older stuffs before they were known as Hot Toys.

devilof76
05-09-2016, 12:43 AM
I have the original two Evangelion figures. I can understand the lack of appeal. Never bought another. It just seems weird. Inuyasha and Sailor Moon were huge over there.

Kibagami
05-09-2016, 12:44 AM

Funny, they did do all of that. I forgot they did. Of course, nobody knows about city hunter, really. Too obscure to Americans.

potato
05-09-2016, 02:06 AM
I have the original two Evangelion figures. I can understand the lack of appeal. Never bought another. It just seems weird. Inuyasha and Sailor Moon were huge over there.

Maybe have to do with Copyrights, since Sailor Moon always associated with Bandai.

Thainitty
05-09-2016, 08:04 AM

Why can't Kerberos be counted as an anime figure?

Aliaz
05-09-2016, 01:47 PM
If HT did One Piece 1/6 characters it would kill my wallet.

illproxy
05-09-2016, 01:57 PM
also keep in mind anime and manga thats really popular here may not be in Japan/Hk etc. like Cowboy Bebop i have been told wasnt that popular in Japan no-where near the fandom it has here.

Von Koz
05-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Well with a new Vampire Hunter D series coming soon I hope Hot Toys will make a 1/6 figure of D. That would be amazing! Especially after seeing what they did with Captain Harlock! We'll probably end up with Medicom though :/

illproxy
05-09-2016, 06:16 PM
a new vamp hunt D eyyyyyyy? news to me, awesome.:clap

loved bloodlust, havent seen in yrs so no idea if it will hold up but loved it when i first saw it way back.

potato
05-09-2016, 06:45 PM

because it's not. Only Jin-Roh is cartoon, rest are live action movies, or comic, and the fact HT didn't use any original design and came out their own design with a live person face means, it's not a cartoon character.

ironwez20
05-09-2016, 07:40 PM
I cant stress this enough but Hot toys are not going to do anything anime ever. There priority right now and since 2010 has been nothing but pretty much marvel and now star wars. Hot toys may be a good company but they don't broaden there range like they use to anymore those days are done.

potato
05-09-2016, 09:39 PM
I cant stress this enough but Hot toys are not going to do anything anime ever. There priority right now and since 2010 has been nothing but pretty much marvel and now star wars. Hot toys may be a good company but they don't broaden there range like they use to anymore those days are done.

they can, at the expense of lower quality products. look at sideshow which is a much bigger company than HT, their range are even narrower.

kyekye
05-09-2016, 10:23 PM
don't think they have a call in which figure to make. they are more on sales & contract negotiations.

Maybe have to do with Copyrights, since Sailor Moon always associated with Bandai.

they can, at the expense of lower quality products. look at sideshow which is a much bigger company than HT, their range are even narrower.
Bandai, Medicom and other Japanese toy companies have some ties, Probably hard to break in, I guess.
However, it could have been much better if Hot toys had a more knowledgeable director and more aggressive marketing strategy. They just made some bad choices for first few figures.

because it's not. Only Jin-Roh is cartoon, rest are live action movies, or comic, and the fact HT didn't use any original design and came out their own design with a live person face means, it's not a cartoon character.

20th Century Boy's Friend, i think that's it. might have some other older stuffs before they were known as Hot Toys.
Technically, Kerberos is Live-action Concept figure. They also had Kamui figures from Live action film.

Funny, they did do all of that. I forgot they did. Of course, nobody knows about city hunter, really. Too obscure to Americans.
The thing is that City Hunter was huge in Hong-Kong before it became part of China) My guess is that it was Howard Chan's personal favorite license. It wasn't so big elsewhere - And they made a bad assumption about the sales - and it ended up in bargain bin - probably gave Hot toys the idea 'stay away from Anime figures'

If HT did One Piece 1/6 characters it would kill my wallet. I remember some 3rd party made 2 figures (live-action version of Sanji and Zorro) and didn't do well. Hot toys wouldn't make that type of toon characters. Can you imagine they make 1/6 Simpsons figure line?

also keep in mind anime and manga that's really popular here may not be in Japan/Hk etc. like Cowboy Bebop i have been told wasnt that popular in Japan no-where near the fandom it has here.
That's why they need a marketing director who knows what's popular and where in Anime licenses and control the sales expectation..etc.
In US, for example, Ninja Scroll and Voltron was popular. In Japan, they weren't so hot.
In Europe, Go Nagai robot series was huge, but not in US.

potato
05-10-2016, 12:00 AM
Bandai, Medicom and other Japanese toy companies have some ties, Probably hard to break in, I guess.
However, it could have been much better if Hot toys had a more knowledgeable director and more aggressive marketing strategy. They just made some bad choices for first few figures.

Technically, Kerberos is Live-action Concept figure. They also had Kamui figures from Live action film.

The thing is that City Hunter was huge in Hong-Kong before it became part of China) My guess is that it was Howard Chan's personal favorite license. It wasn't so big elsewhere - And they made a bad assumption about the sales - and it ended up in bargain bin - probably gave Hot toys the idea 'stay away from Anime figures'

I remember some 3rd party made 2 figures (live-action version of Sanji and Zorro) and didn't do well. Hot toys wouldn't make that type of toon characters. Can you imagine they make 1/6 Simpsons figure line?

That's why they need a marketing director who knows what's popular and where in Anime licenses and control the sales expectation..etc.
In US, for example, Ninja Scroll and Voltron was popular. In Japan, they weren't so hot.
In Europe, Go Nagai robot series was huge, but not in US.

City Hunter is pretty well known around Asia, even Europe, maybe not USA & Canada, things like Golgo 13, Space Adventure Cobra, Crying Freeman are quite popular in Europe, along with City Hunter, which has similar type of main character (Womanizer/Goofy (except Golgo/Freeman & occasionally Serious/Romantic/Guns)

The thing is City Hunter came out real bad, nothing like either the Cartoon or Comic, the outfit for Ryo is good and the goofy face, but the normal face is totally off, the lady figure is even off & the outfit is just bad.

For One Piece, I don't know, it feels like Dragonball, not that great as a 1/6 display, good for smaller scales.

illproxy
05-12-2016, 01:41 PM
that kerberos is based on a japanese radio drama taking place durin ww2. its the original kerberos armor, before the one we know off seen in the anime. the design existed prior to HT doin it i think.

piccolodaimaoh
05-12-2016, 01:52 PM
I was just waiting for someone to make 1/6 figures from Dragon Ball Super since it is a new series and looks like it may be around longer than expected. I'd love for it to be Hot Toys but after seeing their Ninja Turtles I'd love for Mondo to take a crack at it.

potato
05-12-2016, 06:37 PM
that kerberos is based on a japanese radio drama taking place durin ww2. its the original kerberos armor, before the one we know off seen in the anime. the design existed prior to HT doin it i think.

I think, the WW2 drama happened after modern Kerberos, timeline yes WW2 was before modern Kerberos.

kyekye
05-12-2016, 11:44 PM

Read the link for more detail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_saga

Thainitty
05-13-2016, 05:16 PM

Well for me personally I view the figure as a Jin-Roh figure because I've only ever watched the anime....and it's easily identifiable as suits from the anime

CloudN
05-15-2016, 11:19 AM
For anime, it's a very large market that's is often dominated by whatever is the most popular and sex appeal.
One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and yet again Dragonball these days are the majority of popular demands.
There are other great shows but compared to the bread and butter mentioned above, won't sell as well. And companies also think of internationally popularity as well. They are more interested in reaching out to broader customers.

In short, there are just too many properties that Japanese companies can tap in to.

ironwez20
05-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Not to be that guy but bleach has been dead for years now. nobody talks about it anymore

Kibagami
05-16-2016, 08:00 PM
:lol Is it done yet?

Snake Plissken
05-18-2016, 03:59 AM
Not to be that guy but bleach has been dead for years now. nobody talks about it anymore

And it's a shame really. It's got such a huge cast and good character designs, that a lot of good figures could get done. We really only got the Play Arts figures.

:lol Is it done yet?

Not yet, but it's getting close now.

ironwez20
05-20-2016, 10:15 AM
It is a shame tbh tho I think he should of stopped at the defeat of aizen

Kibagami
05-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Where's it going? I fell off. Not out of boredom, I just stopped following as soon as I caught up.

illproxy
05-30-2016, 11:50 AM
via a company called Plastica-

"Excited to announce our 1/6 Kenshin "Battaousai" Himura from Samurai X the Animated Movie.
Sculpts will be revealed very soon..."-Plastica Fb

https://www.facebook.com/plasticatoys/

fosing
05-31-2016, 07:56 AM
via a company called Plastica-

"Excited to announce our 1/6 Kenshin "Battaousai" Himura from Samurai X the Animated Movie.
Sculpts will be revealed very soon..."-Plastica Fb

https://www.facebook.com/plasticatoys/

im down for some Rurouni Kenshin/samurai x figures....even if its from medicom, i'd bite. (gooood lawd) lolz
him primarily.lolz
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/narutosk/Galeria/Images/SamuraiX/12.jpg

Makoto Shishio FTW.:pray:

:lol

Snake Plissken
05-31-2016, 09:00 AM
I've debated reading Kenshin. I think it's art style turns me off.

fosing
05-31-2016, 09:21 AM
^i love the anime series. :]
shishio could be my favorite anti-hero.

Aliaz
05-31-2016, 12:00 PM
I've debated reading Kenshin. I think it's art style turns me off.

You should give it a go. Great series!

darkeyes
06-01-2016, 04:12 PM

Here is a Nico Robin I converted from the Action Toys 1/6 Scale Boa Hancock figure. She does scale a bit tall for 1/6, but the conversion was not overly complicated due to the similarity of the two characters.

bunnyfreakz
06-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Super nice

Skull Knight
08-07-2016, 01:29 AM
wow, that Robin looks amazing. Good work! I thought it was official for a second.