How often do you turn on your display lights?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumos

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm curious - how often does everyone here turn on their (LED) lights in their Detolfs/Bestas/Stuvas/Billys/etc?

I bought cool white LED strip lighting for each shelf in my display, but I find myself oddly paranoid about turning it on, which is probably silly, considering how nice it looks, and all the effort that went into setup.

I was thinking about it today and I realized I have no clue how often the average collector uses their lights. Is it every day when you're in the room, only when you have guests over, etc?

My display is situated in my living area, so are on pretty much daily as soon as it gets dark. I also have the warm white as i prefer the glow as its a little more cosy for living room.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I turn all my lights on whenever someone comes over to show it off. When adding a new piece I usually only turn on which cabinet or Detolf I am adding to see how it looks. Otherwise I only turn on the overhead room light.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have the collection lights tied into my desklamp and a standing lamp, all are pretty soft light so its very relaxing. Hardly ever use my ceiling light.

I have them all on a motion sensor so when I walk in to the room they come on for me.

Nothing beats laziness!

I turn my custom LEDs on when I get home from work where I feel like winding down. They're also on before I go to bed, since the collection room is in the office, I'll admire them for a few minutes and head to bed when I'm feeling sleepy. Weird ritual, I know. :lol

25204422611_36e98d3daf_c.jpg

Why thank you, Mr Spy!

In any case, I think you should leave you lights as you please. Most LEDs lasts very long and unless your lighting serves as a fire hazard, I'd say enjoy every moment of it.

It's Ms. Spy, actually. :wink1:

I recently installed Ikea Dioder lighting in all of my cases and turn them on whenever I'm in my display room, and some days I'm hanging there all day. The Dioder lighting is supposed to have 20,000 hours of average life (2500 8-hour days). I used Velcro to mount the light strips so I can easily replace the strips as they burn out; of course I may have to replace them all if they look different from one and other, but the price has come way down on the Dioders.

Ryan Pliskin, where can I find those single-figure display cases you have on the top of your shelves?

Back