Labyrinth Reboot. yaaay?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmiller99

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sony Rebooting Jim Henson’s ‘Labyrinth’ | Variety

Well.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-12057-1412702939-5.gif

Major Tom relays the message: "Bowie is rolling in his spacecraft on his way home."

I'm a bit surprised, only because the first one wasn't a huge success at the box office, and is more of a cult favorite now. What would make the execs think that a more "modern" upgrade, lacking Henson's heart and creativity, as well as Bowie's charisma, would somehow do better?

The Hollywood pigs waste no time cashing in on a legend's death. They never cease to never surprise me.

Let's be honest, the original is not that good...even if David Bowie was good in it. That film not only lost the studio money, it got bad reviews, so that film is the perfect candidate for a remake, especially since most people have never seen it. As long as they don't use too much CGI, it could be pretty good....or bad. I bet those complaining about it, haven't even seen the film in like 20 years :lol

Yeah, Bowie's memory aside, the idea (in my eyes) of remakes is to take a movie that could have been good, but wasn't, and make something better out of it.

All remakes aren't bad, look at The Fly and The Thing.

they had a sequel planned, it wasn't a "maybe well make another one" but they had solid plans to continue the story.

the movie was such a flop that it almost hurt one of the studios behind it. no one cared for it when it came out.

It really is technically a perfect candidate for a remake in that sense.

I'm a bit surprised, only because the first one wasn't a huge success at the box office, and is more of a cult favorite now. What would make the execs think that a more "modern" upgrade, lacking Henson's heart and creativity, as well as Bowie's charisma, would somehow do better?

The Hollywood pigs waste no time cashing in on a legend's death. They never cease to never surprise me.

I think Snake got it right... they can cash in on David's passing.

It's horribly cynical and makes me feel bad saying so but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this were at least part of their motivation.

I'm sure it has something to do with it. The Bowie nostalgia will only last so long though, especially in regards to movies, since music is where he made his real mark. By the time the movie is made, the feeling will have passed for most and people will reminisce about a different, Dead celebrity.

I think that his passing just reminded some executive(s) that their studio owned the film rights and that perception of it being hot because of his passing helped push the project through. The movie really won't benefit from the public interest in Bowie after his death.

The movie will only do well based off its own merits, really. It's just not big enough a property to garner much interest on its on.

Back