NO military/historical figures from SideShow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketball

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Well- it appears it will be a long time before SideShow releases any more military/historical figures. I had really hoped for a token at least. I guess theres always next year.

Brent:monkey2

true but there's always the rest of the year but i won't get my hopes up. :monkey2

Sad but true. I wasn't even expecting any, I doubt SSC will ever release anything strictly military again. Who can blame them, they don't sell for s***, as much as that surprises me.

The Latest Toy Show! Good and bad. The good. This year I save a boatload of cash by not purchasing a new SS product. The bad news is no interesting SS figure to collect. Last year or should I say this year I bought a token John Wayne PF figure. Would rather have a 1/4 scale washington. I think all of the hiped lines are now gone. Folks I'm just not a star wars comic book reader collector or enthusiast. True events or real historic figures are much more interesting. REALLY. Of corse I'm preaching to the choir on this message board. The message board reflects deeply the attitude on both our and sideshows part. They don't care and we're leaving the message board and the company. Look at the board for God's sake only a few posts after a dismal Toy Fair (for military + historical collectors that is ). THIS BOARD SHOULD BE ROARING MAD. It's gotten to the point where military folks don't even bother to post anylonger. The Dragon board goes into the thousands. What a SHAME!

SS must know how much their military figures go for on e-bay and see that there is still huge interest. Being interested in the 'Bayonets' series of Great War figures, it is interesting to see how quickly the German infantryman, Aussie Lighthorse and U.S Officer sold out.
Hobbyists are now making their own uniform and customising equipment to recreate WW1 troops. See 'one six scale' forum from U.K.
Sideshow actually DID Great War figures and have been applauded but have now 'lost their way'.

I don't visit this site very often, not worried about Star Wars or LOTR's but am pleased for collectors who are. Maybe someday SS will see the light and open up the their wider audience.

Old Bill

Climbing down from soap box.

Other than the monster figures, the historical and military lines which also included Live by the Sword and Fife and Drum figures were the beginnings of a great break through in the 1/6th figure market and gave SideShow the wide exposure they deserved. I remember being able to speak on the phone with a very prominate person at SideShow about the Brotherhood of Arms line. I was even asked for input into upcoming figures. I wanted a 2nd Maryland,CSA figure, however, that didn't occur, but the good news was that they continued all those other lines.
We have now been left behind for all the NON historical lines.They could at least give us something every once in a while. Instead famous personalities fills that gap. The bottom line is $$$$$$$$$$.

Brent:monkey2

It's true Brent. The less they produce we'll just move on. It's too
bad. I just think Napoleon was not the right figure to start out with. I
like it alot but, I'm probably like most historic collectos in saying I was waiting for the next historic figure. I too hoped for Napolean to be sold out.
SS propably figured it was a great universal figure to try out. As I said before take a look, there 's only 7 posts to this thread. Shameful! military collectors have moved on. It'll take a BIG anouncement to break the cycle.

naploean was a horrible choice for SS to start with. HORRIBLE. I do like other lines they produce/distribute but my heart bleeds with everyone that they have dumped the historical/military line.

I gave up on SS military line long ago but I'm not particularly disappointed. It was surely a business decision for them to quietly let it die a slow death; my solution was to just adapt and go with other companies out there still catering to such a comparatively narrow market. For example as much as I'd like SS to produce a great samurai figure, I'm not holding my breath so will go with whatever company can produce halfway decent figure.

Personally I liked the Napoleon piece but not at that scale. Several years back under a different board name for this forum, I requested they do some Napoleonics like a hussar but got jack. They must've figured too obscure for them to make a buck.

Kyuzo said:
Several years back under a different board name for this forum, I requested they do some Napoleonics like a hussar but got jack. They must've figured too obscure for them to make a buck.

Yet DiD pulled it off just fine.

if SS is just barely producing the LOTR 12"/PF's, I doubt we'll ever see another military creation from them...unless it is a famous personality..e.g. John Wayne.

Doomhammer said:
Yet DiD pulled it off just fine.

Merely reinforces my point that one must look elsewhere for whatever SS has pulled the plug on. Now if only DiD or whoever would do a decent French hussar or cuirassier.

THOSE LINES SHOULD REMAIN DEAD.

ANY LICENCED CHARACTERS > HISTORICAL CHARACTERS.

Kyuzo said:
I gave up on SS military line long ago but I'm not particularly disappointed. It was surely a business decision for them to quietly let it die a slow death; my solution was to just adapt and go with other companies out there still catering to such a comparatively narrow market. For example as much as I'd like SS to produce a great samurai figure, I'm not holding my breath so will go with whatever company can produce halfway decent figure.

I've made a few vain attempts to let SSC know that there are still many of us who want their military lines to continue, but I'm afraid you guys may be right. It'll be a cold day in hell before Sideshow makes a samurai figure, that's for sure! DID has made about the best looking figures of amoured samurai, as far as I know, I think the latest is Date Masamune. Anyway, it seems that Sideshow has turned to more lucrative projects, like Star Wars. To my knowledge, nobody has made ACW 12" figures anything like what Sideshow did a few years ago, and it doesn't appear anyone has plans to do so, which is really a shame! That's probably the one military line I'll be truly sorry to see die out, there were still so many good possibilities there! Oh well.....

Mudshark said:
To my knowledge, nobody has made ACW 12" figures anything like what Sideshow did a few years ago, and it doesn't appear anyone has plans to do so, which is really a shame! That's probably the one military line I'll be truly sorry to see die out, there were still so many good possibilities there! Oh well.....

My thoughts exactly. As of late, I'm not too happy with Sideshow, to me they're going backwards. They seem to be shying away from what used to make them standout. Their target audience now seems to be twelve year olds. I like Star Wars, but since it's release 30 years ago, it seems to have turned into a circus. Hell, even a zombie (if they existed) could make money selling Star wars underwear. This is 2007, these characters have been remade hundreds of times! ZZzzzz. I own many of SS' 1:6 figures and the BOA line to me was one of their best. I own every Star Wars exclusive but who cares. Not only are we paying twice as much, but the clothing is always frayed, the outfits don't match the arm length. Darth maul was a let down to me. His outfit was damaged before he came out of the box. I also have jabba and his throne, unfortunately my wife wants him removed from the house. She hates it :monkey2 IMO, Jabba does look great.

It also appears that SS is slowly buying up Medicom's stock, so it won't be long till SS sells their figure lines for $150 each to. The fact that these cartoon characters are becoming the rage is a sad fact for me. I got into collecting characters for the historical elements not because they were popular. In SS' 12 year history, they've only upgraded their figure bodies slightly. I've heard every SS customer rep stand behind the belief that SS doesn't discontinue their lines, they only go dormant for a while. I have not seen one lisence bounce back from the dark. I'm just tired of the BS. I understand business, but when you stray from your roots, you get lost. Where will SS be in five years, who knows, this might be the highlight of the company's history, but for me, it will always be the Brotherhood in Arms line. So many important icons still left untouched!

Ditto! I jumped on the Star Wars bandwagon too, but I don't feel as connected to them as I do to the ACW line. I've had a fascination for the ACW since I was just a kid, when I never even dreamed there would be 12" uniformed figures one day, until Sideshow made it happen! The Star Wars stuff is fun at the moment, but my interests in history and militaria go way back, and sooner or later I'm sure I'll get back to it. And if Sideshow drops the ball with the ACW line, maybe someone else will decide to start a new line of their own. I must have a couple hundred figures, mostly WW2 and modern military, but my 14 or so ACW figures by Sideshow are among my most favorite...I may even have 'em buried with me!

Back