Sotheby's Star Wars auctions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Master Replicas helmets and sabers/blasters - some prices are ok, some are high some are low. But after all pretty close to present prices.

Actually if you collect items and want the packaging these are not good at all unless it is a rare piece you must have. The fine print states no original packaging with these listings. It would be interesting to see if they are going to have the certificates. May want to message them prior to participating.

On top of it which makes these auctions terrible in my mind is they add 25% on top of the ending auctions. So be careful if bidding you will get a bill for 25% above whatever the ending transaction is.

gotta give a copy of your drivers license or passport though pfft :| And yeah the fee is high.

In addition to the buyer's premium, lack of packaging and lack of paperwork you can also count on shipping of between 300-500 dollars. A vintage collector was quoted about 240 dollars for shipping four loose 4 inch action figures. So figure something like the stormtrooper blaster could be double that or more. Also note the 250 dollar convenience fee for credit card payments over 5000, and they only take credit cards. Also note that if you do local pickup you will pay New York sales tax. That said, the stormtrooper blaster would have to close at around 200 dollars in order for this to be a good deal compared to eBay (200+50 buyers' premium+300-400 shipping).

Of course with this type of auctions you'll have to pay all those extra fees and after that the prices will be huge. Besides all this right now it is not the best time to buy SW props especially on auctions.

For posterity:

https://s7.postimg.org/oshr4t6jv/Sotheby_MR_blasters.jpg

Sotheby MR blasters.jpg

https://s12.postimg.org/peojjn5jh/Sotheby_MR_helmets.jpg

Sotheby MR helmets.jpg

https://s23.postimg.org/tvg61ps8b/Sotheby_MR_lightsabers.jpg

Sotheby MR lightsabers.jpg

Man I sold 4 years too early. All the stuff I sold would have gone for over 25k :slap

Can anyone explain some of these prices? :horror

Like over 8 THOUSAND dollars for item 22, the MR LE Stormtrooper helmet? Isn't that like... 10 times what it's worth? Outrageous even with whatever fees there are.

Yeah those helmet prices seem nuts, 4k + for a damaged shadow trooper helmet? A few have sold recently complete and undamaged for nowhere close to that ;p The rubies 4 grand? Pffft ;p That has to be a troll or something ^^

I can only assume it's so-called "collectors" who have an excess of cash but no clue what they're buying. :lol

Over $5000 you are going into the realm of screen used props already... Now if any of these buyers try to resell the items they bought later on and ask those prices or more, we'll have a good laugh. Or maybe not. Seems the mother of idiots is always pregnant, so these prices might be common now LOL.

Over $5000 you are going into the realm of screen used props already... Now if any of these buyers try to resell the items they bought later on and ask those prices or more, we'll have a good laugh. Or maybe not. Seems the mother of idiots is always pregnant, so these prices might be common now LOL.
Maybe you can get random pieces for that range. I would expect props like we see replicas here going for 5k going for closer to 50k than 5k.

Maybe you can get random pieces for that range. I would expect props like we see replicas here going for 5k going for closer to 50k than 5k.

My point was that the screen used pieces don't go for under $5000 except for some small items. But over that (and sky as the limit) you get whatever you want (and can). And thus to pay $5000 for a incomplete or even damaged prop replica or helmet is quite insane. Get what I'm saying? :)

Heh. I actually have several of those items.

They're getting rarer to find, but you can still pick up moist of them on ebay for a lot less.

Back