Asmus Aragorn sixth scale figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Tonight I'm kicking off another all sixth scale week, and there will be a couple early reviews of figures not quite shipping yet included in there. That's true of tonight's figure - Aragorn from Asmus Toys. This is a figure that you need to see in hand to really appreciate, thanks to some wonkiness with the shape of the head sculpt - but more on that in the review:

Review and photos of Lord of the Rings Aragorn 1/6th action figure by Asmus

You can also find it with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Great review Michael. Standing side by side, I have to say even with the cone head I think the Asmus is a better looking head sculpt.

Wow, happy to read such a good review. Shocked that you gave the edge in the likeness category to Asmus. I never really got the hubbub over the ACI sculpt but figured I was in the minority in not liking the sculpt.

review_asmusaragorn_13.jpg

I'm so excited to get this.... and I'm sooooooooo happy for Asmus!

That pic says a lot but the hair on that isn't futz well at all. They both have their pros & cons they both seem equally inaccurate. We'll see in hand.

Great review!

Last edited:
I do not understand all the hail about Asmus sculpt. The painting of eyes is better positioned on it and the beard is almost perfect (but not the mouth presentation). Eyes and nose are not Viggo's, sorry. ACI sculpt is as close as it could be, but it lacks the beard details and really poorly painted with a very weird eye positioning. It is not so much about hairing, which could also look very different if you make some efforts. The final Asmus sculpt is as good as it could get in respect to how it was looking at different prototype stages. So, hail for you for putting all the efforts.

I really hope Asmus will make another version and will ask the sculptor who did Gandalf's sculpt do make another take of Aragorn (not reusing this sculpt).

When I look at these screen shots I still see a better representation of face proportions on ACI, sorry.
Return-of-the-King-0185.jpg
Return-of-the-King-0426.jpg
Return-of-the-King-0653.jpg
Return-of-the-King-0828.jpg

I never understood all the hail about the ACI sculpt so I feel your pain. I don't think either sculpt truly captures Viggo as Aragorn but my honest opinion is Asmus is closer to Viggo and closer to an actual person. Something about the ACI one to me has always looked off. And I have to throw it out there that it does look Barbie or Tonner like. Just my opinion.

I have the ACI EX and am planning to get the Asmus (at $200-$250/pop these figures come too fast to keep up sometimes). I'm still hoping they produce Arwen though. One of the reasons I've been holding off.

the aci one, when the hair is done right, looks very good. michaels pics of the asmus one are good though, there's a few issues with the head, but it looks ok. that second head sculpt though is.............i'm not even sure what to say.

Asmus sculpt DOES look better! I'm stunned! HOWEVER the hair/forehead is horrendous and brings down the overall sculpt by alot...Too bad. The figure looks like a win though.

Its a good problem to have choices.

this! :lecture:

I know we all want the ultimate end all be all figure sometimes but nothing will ever be perfect and each person will see each release different. If any one character were to be an example, Heath Ledger's Joker would be it. We've gotten dozens of sculpts over the years and still some claims that the newest (whichever it may be) is the best one yet. I'm always of the mind that the more choices the better as more folks get to choose which one they like better. obviously sometimes it can get childish (mine is better than yours and all that) but still better to have more than none. I still remember when getting a repaint by Darren was the only way to go for an accurate Viggo Aragorn. Look how far we've come since then :yess:

Back