On the fence with Asmus, need some opinions...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterSoldierUSA

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started checking out the Asmus figures and I wanted to see how you guys think they fit overall into the LOTR collectible world. I ask because I've only ever bought the SSC/Weta stuff over the years and I'm not quite sure if the Asmus line will look proper next to what I have. To make it simpler, I'm specifically focusing on the Mouth of Sauron set (it is just too cool to not LOOK into at least) and possibly Saruman as well (likeness seems dead on). What do you fellow collectors think? Have you been overall happy with the Asmus pieces after you got them or should I not mix the brands and stick to what I have? I can picture one of my besta cubbies housing the Morgul Lord Leg. scale bust with the Mouth posed next to him on his evil steed ;) Thoughts?

I've been happy with the ones they've released so far. Though there's been a couple of bumps in the road, they've made it right with us.

To me the two pieces you've mentioned wanting to get are no brainers! They look stunning. I'm happy with my Asmus figs so far. A few hiccups but overall I love them. I have hot toys, Asmus and sideshow figures all side by side.

Agree with Canadian Brandon. If the ones you're looking to get are MOS and Saruman you can't go wrong. I personally am enjoying the line. Most of the human likenesses could be better but in my eyes they are close. Early releases the bodies sucked but I think Asmus finally fixed that. The armor on the bad guys is pretty good and really shines with a little futzing. The costumes and weaponry on the good guys so far I think is above average.

I've been happy with the ones they've released so far. Though there's been a couple of bumps in the road, they've made it right with us.

This pretty much sums it up. Also I don't see another company stepping in to make 1/6 lotr figures any time soon.

thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll rearrange my bestas to accommodate a new dastardly foe with a bad case of gingivitis. The MOS will go nicely next to his pal the Morgul Lord. I'll get Saruman after that. Yeah!

Asmus has had its issues but they're tackling those. To me , they're much better than Weta, and much superior to the old Sideshow line. Most Asmus figures thus far can be improved with some fuzzing.
Saruman to me is a new milestone in quality. Bard was nice too.

I only have the Nazgul with horse and witchking plus saruman on order, both I have are great looking figures once you futz at work out the quirks. I'd say they are above the sideshow lotr offerings but behind slightly on the current standard of most company's thesedays , though you are paying less...
saruman will be my first human portrait from asmus, the sculpt looks amazing, but the paint apps appear a bit heavy

Well, it's two very different things, collecting statues and replicas, and collecting 1/6 dolls or action figures.
Even with top of the line companies like Hot Toys and DiD, you still need a certain finesse to pose them well and do some futzing. And that is the best case scenario.
With up and coming companies like Asmus there's a lot of futzing and even some customising to contend with to make the figures truly shine.

I have Eowyn and the Witch King so far, and both needed a lot of futzing to make them look great, but I'm very happy with them.
And Asmus is getting better with each release, so I think it's a wise decision to get Saruman and the Mouth. I'm sure they will not loose their value, should you wish to sell them if you are not satisfied.

Back