Detolf and other shelving systems

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason2885

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well I thought in light of the acrylic case thread that a thread about different types of shelving systems would be good.
I would really like to know the inside usable dimensions of all the different kinds of shelving products. We can make this a sticky just in order to talk about display shelves.

Well I plan on driving the 3 and half hrs sometime within the next two months down to Atlanta GA (cant wait until Charlotte get IKEA in a few years) and Im going to probably pick up 10 Detolf for my Sideshow 12" collection. Before I do I thought I would ask you guys a few questions about them. What is the inside of one shelfs length width and height. Also are they pretty stable and not feel like their about to fall apart or anything.

My plan is to put two figures per shelf with the box behind the figure. Also is dust a really big problem getting in through the holes in the side.

But anyway if you have any other shelving ideas or want to report specific numbers of the shelving your using with all its information that would be great.

Also how about the Docent how are they.

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

I have one detolf (for now), but it gets lots of dust. If you are planning on buying it for your 12" figs, it's not a bad purchase, except the shelves are not changable.
I also have billy bookcases from Ikea with glass doors and use those mainly for my 12" figs and my weta collection. You can buy glass shelves for them and with lights, they look pretty good. Also, unlike with the detolfs, dust is not a problem with the Billy.

To anyone else with a detolf:

I have placed my Hulk PF on top of my detolf. Do you think it'll be ok or should I remove it because it's so heavy?:confused:

I really wish Detolf were air tight.
Has anyone tried one of the INGO's. Are the shelves adjustable.

Also where is the page that Docents are on one IKEAs website.

I don't have an issue with dust with my Deltof's.

If it is, I read that someone sealed around the door with cheap weatherstriping to cut back on the dust.

Just do a search for Deltof's in this thread and you should find plenty of info.

I've had trouble finding the Docents as well. :( If someone could post a link, it would prove most helpful to me.

I have detolfs and while they are great for 12 inch I would not use them for
PFs. They do collect dust. I haven't gotten around to putting the weather stripping on them but I will someday soon. My ikea used to carry the Docent line but they only have the drawers and handles available, no base.

Good luck

When you do put weatherstripping make sure you show us what kind and what the final results look like.

I really dont want to have to dust 12" figures every few months though. Two Detolfs would be able to handle all the 12" from Sideshow a year at two per shelf though.

Picked up a pair of Detolfs today. At that price they can't be beat.

Problem is that after leaving, I forgot one bag. I don't know how or why I did that, I was so excited to get the detolfs (among other stuff including pictures for my new place).

Not much was in the bag (a few of those surge protectors), the most expensive thing in the bag was something I was looking forward to including with my detolf's and that was a pair of non lights that I bought for the cabinet.

i was so pissed when i got home. it wasn't like i could turn around either. i live about 2 hours from ikea (and i was around that area for work). worst thing about it is that the cashier put my receipt in the bag. i'm praying the detolfs aren't cracked or broken. keep your fingers crossed for me.

i'll have to wait another time before i head back up to ikea to pick up the nons. i'll probably set another day aside to go with the wife and pick up the other stuff that couldn't fit in my honda civic as well...

Nitro said:
Picked up a pair of Detolfs today. At that price they can't be beat.

Problem is that after leaving, I forgot one bag. I don't know how or why I did that, I was so excited to get the detolfs (among other stuff including pictures for my new place).

Not much was in the bag (a few of those surge protectors), the most expensive thing in the bag was something I was looking forward to including with my detolf's and that was a pair of non lights that I bought for the cabinet.

i was so pissed when i got home. it wasn't like i could turn around either. i live about 2 hours from ikea (and i was around that area for work). worst thing about it is that the cashier put my receipt in the bag. i'm praying the detolfs aren't cracked or broken. keep your fingers crossed for me.

i'll have to wait another time before i head back up to ikea to pick up the nons. i'll probably set another day aside to go with the wife and pick up the other stuff that couldn't fit in my honda civic as well...
Did you call the store? You should've called them as soon as you found out about it. Who knows, maybe they would've found your bag.

carbo-fation said:
Did you call the store? You should've called them as soon as you found out about it. Who knows, maybe they would've found your bag.

I called the store when I got home (that's when I realized the bag was missing). They said that nothing had been turned over to the desk.

The Detolfs are a great investment. You can fit the 12" line along with a few SS/Weta pieces:

ss6zd0.jpg

But for PF's, I usually go for the Skogens. The shelves are adjustable, they support more weight, and are wider in length:

collectioncm1.jpg

Hey Boba, what do you think is the actual weight limit on a Skogen shelf. I know the Ikea website says like 18lbs but I have to wonder if it can handle more because I have seen some over-loaded shelves on here.

I would say they can support more, because Aragorn and Gandalf in the pic I posted, both weigh over 20 lbs. But as far as Sauron he's about 30 lbs, so I decided against placing him on a shelf just so not to risk it.

I'd say take it up to 20 lbs on a shelf, then be wary if you want to place more.

Thanks Boba, I have Iron Man on one and I love that piece so much that it just makes me nervous even though he is in all actuality very light. What a sad day it would be if it all came crashing down.

I must've missed out seeing those Skogens when I went. I was contemplating picking up a Billy with the glass doors that they had available. Ultimately, the price for the Detolf's were too good to pass off. I winded up buying 2 (I'll have some pictures up shortly...the room is still undergoing renovations).

The shelves seem pretty sturdy. I have a PF Vader on the top shelf of Detolf #1 with a MR Photo Puppet Replica of Kermit on the bottom. For Detolf # 2, PF Obi is on the top shelf, and PF's Han & Leia are on the bottom. I have my Jaws Maquette on the very top of both shelves. It sure beats spending $600+ on a curio cabinet. As my collection eventually expands, I'm sure there will be more detolfs in my future...

Back