View Full Version : Asmus Toys - Thranduil

Pages : [1] 2

Jrobertson
09-17-2015, 03:21 PM

Johnny Utah
09-17-2015, 03:43 PM
YYYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ASMUS!!!!!

A figure of Lee Pace is such great news!!!!

mikvnd
09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Awesome.Thank You!

WolfBoy
09-17-2015, 05:07 PM
i would have preferred him in his smaug outfit.

superdoug
09-18-2015, 05:44 AM
i would have preferred him in his smaug outfit.

I don't remember him ever wearing a dragon costume in the movie.

Maybe in the extended edition?

cmiller99
09-18-2015, 11:44 PM
:lol :lol :lol

WolfBoy
09-19-2015, 05:00 PM
I don't remember him ever wearing a dragon costume in the movie.

Maybe in the extended edition?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/glee/images/2/2a/Rupaul_slap.gif

Wor-Gar
09-21-2015, 09:18 PM

Greatest GIF! I may need to use that in the future.

Medusoid
09-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Greatest GIF! I may need to use that in the future.

Ru is perfect for any occasion.

dortizjr1
05-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Hello Asmus, i was wondering if there is an update to this figure.

TheWordWizard
05-04-2016, 07:03 PM
I had completely forgotten about this figure! Can't wait to get an update on him! (Though Asmus has quite a lot in their lineup right now, so I don't think we'll be getting much of one for a little while.)

asgardianboy
05-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Mr Asmus, Thranduil should come in his king outfit, not only in war-ready ourfit...
Can that be?
m.

Adolfo
05-11-2016, 07:26 AM
will get this if its the BOTFA arour :)

CanadianBrandon
05-12-2016, 03:52 PM
I'd rather him in his King outfit with throne than battle armour, but I'm assuming they'll make what they think will sell better.

Sankari
05-12-2016, 08:27 PM
I'd rather him in his King outfit with throne than battle armour, but I'm assuming they'll make what they think will sell better.

Maybe they could make two versions. A deluxe version with both outfits, and one with just the armor.

Bucky Underbelly
05-12-2016, 08:51 PM
It'd be cool to see both versions, but I doubt they'll do that. I think their figures from the Hobbit films haven't been selling quite as well as they'd hoped.

Travis Baumann
05-13-2016, 10:42 AM
It'd be cool to see both versions, but I doubt they'll do that. I think their figures from the Hobbit films haven't been selling quite as well as they'd hoped.

Well all two of them they put out had production issues and stock has not even arrived for them at other retailers. I love my Tauriel but did not buy Bard. He looks like a great figure but I just don't have the space for him at the moment (not that I see that changing with my current list of pre-orders).

I will however buy any Elves they make and somehow shoehorn them into my Detolfs.

Bucky Underbelly
05-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Well all two of them they put out had production issues and stock has not even arrived for them at other retailers. I love my Tauriel but did not buy Bard. He looks like a great figure but I just don't have the space for him at the moment (not that I see that changing with my current list of pre-orders).

I will however buy any Elves they make and somehow shoehorn them into my Detolfs.

I'm totally down for every Middle Earth figure Asmus puts out and have bought or pre-ordered them all thus far. But George did mention in one of the other threads that the Hobbit figures haven't been putting up great sales/pre-order numbers though. But I'm still hopeful for more Hobbit figures. Would really love to see a great Thranduil and will definitely buy any version of Thorin.

Sankari
05-13-2016, 06:27 PM
I'm totally down for every Middle Earth figure Asmus puts out and have bought or pre-ordered them all thus far. But George did mention in one of the other threads that the Hobbit figures haven't been putting up great sales/pre-order numbers though. But I'm still hopeful for more Hobbit figures. Would really love to see a great Thranduil and will definitely buy any version of Thorin.

Well, so far they went with characters which aren't really that cool. Bard and the Dale storyline was lame in the movies. Tauriel and her dwarf romance was extremely unpleasant to the fans as well. I expect some figures from the hobbit, like Thorin, Galadriel, Elrond, The 9 wraiths from dol guldur, would sell very well.

superdoug
06-22-2016, 04:32 AM
Check out the new picture on Asmus' Facebook. You can catch a glimpse of him in it. Looks pretty promising.

Warpsmith
06-22-2016, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up superdoug...looks pretty cool!

superdoug
06-22-2016, 07:00 AM
You are welcome. Thanks for putting the pic in here. I have no idea how to do it with my phone.

CanadianBrandon
06-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Daaaaaaamn. I told my wife we wouldn't get Thranduil, but that's looking sick!

Travis Baumann
06-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Yes! Need another Elf and he is looking really cool with the rooted hair and double swords. Instant pre-order for me when this goes up.

Glad they went with him in 5 Armies battle mode too, the armor on his arms looks super cool.

Cool way to pose Galdalf as well, wonder if their bridge base will actually work like that or if they rigged it special. I could see it coming off one of my Detolfs or something.

Sassafras
06-22-2016, 03:00 PM

OMG. Hi. Just joined so I think this is my second post. But been lurking 'round for a while and keeping an eye on ASMUS. Couldn't be happier about what they're doing. Re sales if they can pull the sculpts off, I'm getting multiple Thranduil AND Thorin, so I can do different costumes, as needed. And hopefully Hobbit Bilbo. I'm getting Gandalf, from what I've seen. I'd get Bard except I can't see spending money on a lesser-favorite vs. favorites FIRST. Bard is on my list too. I didn't buy him as he isn't a top favorite for me, so I wouldn't put in a pre-order anyway. I'd wait until he's in stock.

Re sales, that's frustrating for me, for any company. IMO you can't say we put character "X" out and it didn't sell well - if it's a major character - and say so and so "isn't popular" IF THE PRODUCT IS QUESTIONABLE. Some folks will buy character representations no matter what, other people aren't bothered, but if Thorin/Thranduil/Gandalf/Bilbo come out and have huge fat cheeks or something, I'm gonna be thinking really hard, before I spend. So IMO ASMUS is doing it right, taking their time.

I look at the early LOTR stuff and IMO some of it is just plain awful. And it's real disappointing when you love a character and want to collect a piece, but a sculpt is so bad you just can't do it. And you can't figure out why a company doesn't tinker with the sculpt when everyone can see the same thing.

A great sculpt can get folks off the fence, IMO. Just lurking around this forum - well, ASMUS has been dealing w. body issues, production issues, paint issues from the looks of things. Then they put out an amazing Saruman. Thorin and Thranduil need to be that good - no strange paint colors (not too dark or kabuki makeup), decent bodies, and for me rooted hair, please. But the sculpt is the thing. No weird hairlines/foreheads/oversized noses/crossed eyes and all that.

I'd rather ASMUS take their time and work the kinks out. It's a huge opportunity for ASMUS if they can get the likenesses, to fill in some LOTR/Hobbit collecting gaps. I like doing diorama displays - I'd love to set up Gandalf and Thorin in Bree. Bilbo on his bench. Thranduil in Dale.
Get it right and they've already sold these figs, for me.

Come on ASMUS, you can do it! :)

BTW, since I'm new - the comments on Aragorn's "conehead" had me rolling LOL but IMO it's an amazing Aragorn and even more amazing modded with hair - I'm hoping Thorin and Thranduil are that good.

DioramaMaker
06-22-2016, 03:02 PM
This looks real slick. The range in the elbow bend is ace. Can't say I care much for the character, or much of the Hobbit films, but when I see good work I call it.

BagginsOfBagEnd
06-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Wow, that looking pretty impressive! :)

Dresky
10-06-2016, 05:14 AM
Hello Mister Awesome !!!

nexus
10-06-2016, 05:23 AM
Wasn't that crazy about the overstuffed trilogy, but this looks good. However I'll wait for in-hand reviews.

Dixmois
10-06-2016, 05:30 AM
Do Asmus figures look mostly the same at release as they do in production photos? Because I'm interested in this one.

denrep-lilium
10-06-2016, 05:46 AM
The likeness is almost there. But there is always something a bit missing :(

Dresky
10-06-2016, 06:06 AM
I'm just happy i can get my hands on a 1/6 elven king figure from a book i first read 30 years ago lol.

Jrobertson
10-06-2016, 06:21 AM
This looks great.

BagginsOfBagEnd
10-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Hello Mister Awesome !!!

Looking good!! :rock

Sassafras
10-06-2016, 08:41 AM
This looks great.

Loved the Hobbit films. Loved this character book and film. A MUST BUY first-day PO.:blissy

Way to go, ASMUS:clap! Wish I were at NYCC, checking out your booth - maybe this fig would be there?

Wor-Gar
10-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Hello Mister Awesome !!!

WOW!!!

That's a very elegant figure... and the purple and red cloak would really pop on the shelf.

I too wasn't a big fan of the Hobbit trilogy and, other then Smaug, don't have a desire to collect any figures... BUT this one looks so fantastic that I may change my mind.

Dresky
10-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Yeah, i need this.

Bucky Underbelly
10-06-2016, 09:46 AM
That looks TERRIFIC!

They've even managed to capture Lee Pace's majestic eyebrows!

Seriously, though, that outfit looks great. I'm especially impressed with the snakeskin texture on the fabric.

Hoping to get a better look at the diorama base, too. I love that Asmus is doing the sculpted bases.

Keegan
10-06-2016, 10:51 AM
I too wasn't a big fan of the Hobbit trilogy and, other then Smaug, don't have a desire to collect any figures... BUT this one looks so fantastic that I may change my mind.

I feel the same about the films, plus I liked Balin as well. Beorn was perfect until he started skydiving.

The outfit and armor on Thranduil look very nice, but I'm not seeing the likeness at all. Compared to the photo behind the figure, the differences are pretty clear (mouth, nose, etc.).

denger4000
10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
I was trying to stick the LOTR movies as most here, but man this is indeed tempting....Wish Asmus would make Gollum already though

RandomHero
10-06-2016, 03:18 PM
I think this is the closest that Asmus has come on getting a head sculpt right. It's close...but something still just seems every so slightly off. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person on Saturday when I hit NYCC. Hopefully the pictures just don't do it justice.

MaxGoof
10-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Loved this figure at NYCC today! 297050297051297053

I hope Thranduil sells well so that Asmus will make more Hobbit figures. It's crazy to me that we don't have a Bilbo or any of the Dwarves from the film. Bilbo and Thorin are the main characters, for Pete's sake.

Bucky Underbelly
10-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Thranduil ... makin' that booty pop!

epik73
10-06-2016, 09:03 PM
This is how I imagine Rhaegar Targaryan would look

cmiller99
10-06-2016, 11:01 PM
Bilbo is the only figure from The Hobbit that I would be interested in, but this is damn fine looking. Well done Asmus. :clap

denrep-lilium
10-07-2016, 03:02 AM
I have a feeling that all Asmus sculpts are squished, and most have problems with too narrow head, and eye position respectively.

gideon
10-07-2016, 03:48 AM
I buy the Asmus baddies. This will be an exception. This is one truly amazing figure that I will gladly purchase even though he is on the wrong side.

TheWordWizard
10-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Definitely going to be pre-ordering him! I really love that base he's standing on too!

KittyCap
10-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Face is too long.

Dresky
10-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Would be cool to have his autumn crown and staff as exclusives.

rjszar
10-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Face is too long.

Maybe it's not too long, maybe it's not full enough. Perhaps a little cheekier and "prettier".

Bucky Underbelly
10-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Would be cool to have his autumn crown and staff as exclusives.

They did make a staff at one point. If you scroll back to the very first pics of the unfinished proto in this thread, he has it. I wonder if they'll be including it. I hope so.

But the staff and crown really go with his throne room outfit which would be a totally different version. A non-armored throne room Thranduil would be very cool, but I'm not sure he's a character that would warrant a second figure.

The Ween
10-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Face is too long.

That's what I was thinking. He has a more heart shaped face.

RandomHero
10-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Having seen this in person today at the Asmus Booth in NYCC, it looks way better than the way the pictures seem to portray it so far.

KittyCap
10-12-2016, 08:57 AM
Wonder when he'll go up for sale. Still think his face is too thin and narrow but I might be tempted... Really love Thranduil.

evenflow
10-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Looks pretty good.

Asmus
10-17-2016, 09:45 AM

Bucky Underbelly
10-17-2016, 09:48 AM
I think he looks terrific. :clap

Loving that base, too!

Asmus
10-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Not the most popular character, but from The Hobbit, there isn't many at all.
We are testing to see if we can do up to 40~60 % of armours in die-cast metal.

Lumos
10-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Very nice!

RandomHero
10-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Please don't change the head sculpt!! If this figures looks like this when it is released, I'm in. I love it!

Any idea when this will be released, Asmus?

King T'Challa
10-17-2016, 11:39 AM

Looks great Asmus! Great job! Good to hear about some diecast armor parts. Just one thing: Is there any way to put this crown to sit more flush?

ApeManRyan
10-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Yep looks fantastic I actually loved King Thranduil from The Hobbit. Lee Pace rules. Looking forward and hope the quality is great when it is released I'd pick this up and hoping for a Legolas soon.

Sankari
10-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Great looking figure so far, Asmus, one suggestion, careful to how the hair sets with the forehead. Also, try to make his skin matte , not shiny.
Otherwise it could appear as if he was sweating. Thranduil doesn't sweat ;)

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=298795

cmiller99
10-17-2016, 05:23 PM
I agree with Sankari's sentiments. Overall, this looks to be an impressive figure by Asmus.

RandomHero
10-17-2016, 05:33 PM
I agree...the one and ONLY change I would make is to make the face not be shiny. Elves don't sweat. That's an easy fix with the paint app.

Please do this one justice, Asmus. I'll be preordering as soon as it's up.

sixxshooter
10-17-2016, 05:50 PM

Please make sure the body underneath that die-cast can support that extra weight . ACI ringwraith struggles holding poses and broke on me . Die-cast can actually be a problem in my opinion .

superdoug
10-17-2016, 07:16 PM
True. The figure will need strong joints for sure. I hope it has ankle articulation and that the ankle joints are firm like my Aragorn. My Gandalf suffers from floppy ankles. :(

superdoug
10-17-2016, 07:34 PM
He just went live on the Asmus store. I just put in my order. I cannot seem to say no to Middle Earth yet.

madgophermm5
10-17-2016, 07:41 PM
My wife and I are both super excited for this figure. Asmus if this sells well enough would you consider doing him in his throne room outfit from the second movie. I am positive my wife would buy both with out a doubt and I would love to see him sitting on his throne.

Also I saw on your store listing you expect to have him out by the fourth quarter of this year, is that true? That turn around seems really fast, but he would make a great Xmas gift

cmiller99
10-17-2016, 08:24 PM
Asmus have a factory process that could very well allow them to have it out by that time.

Snakey Jones
10-17-2016, 08:29 PM
Are the pauldrons each solid sculpts or are they made of layered pieces like in the movie?

Jrobertson
10-17-2016, 09:22 PM
This looks amazing

King T'Challa
10-17-2016, 09:38 PM
This looks amazing

This looks really beautiful. Maybe I'll bite this one as my first Asmus figure. Btw, Jrobertson could u update the first page with these new pics please? My OCD would thank you lol.

Flyzy
10-18-2016, 02:26 AM

Great figure from the promo pics so far ^^

However, the base body needs to be sturdy enough to support the die-cast armor... but my previous Asmus LOTR figures do have floppy bodies. Don't think Asmus bodies are known for being sturdy. With die-cast armor, the articulation and stability of the figure will be sacrificed.

I don't think die-cast will improve the realism of the look anyway - Asmus has shown from the previous Grishnakh and Gothmog releases that with the right paint-job and weathering, plastic can look pretty convincing as well!

Thus, if Asmus wants to do Thranduil's armour in die-cast for the sake of doing die-cast alone, will hope that Asmus can reconsider this.

Jrobertson
10-18-2016, 07:37 AM
This looks really beautiful. Maybe I'll bite this one as my first Asmus figure. Btw, Jrobertson could u update the first page with these new pics please? My OCD would thank you lol.
I just updated the first page lol

Asmus
10-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Great figure from the promo pics so far ^^

However, the base body needs to be sturdy enough to support the die-cast armor... but my previous Asmus LOTR figures do have floppy bodies. Don't think Asmus bodies are known for being sturdy. With die-cast armor, the articulation and stability of the figure will be sacrificed.

I don't think die-cast will improve the realism of the look anyway - Asmus has shown from the previous Grishnakh and Gothmog releases that with the right paint-job and weathering, plastic can look pretty convincing as well!

Thus, if Asmus wants to do Thranduil's armour in die-cast for the sake of doing die-cast alone, will hope that Asmus can reconsider this.

Yes,
it is exactly the concern we have at moment,
swords are no doubt will be in die-cast.

It would be great if we can have more parts done in metal,
it will add a good density to the figure.

Sankari
10-18-2016, 08:19 AM
Yes,

Please , I know its close to launch, its a great looking figure so far, but the paintjob needs a little attention. As we've mentioned before, elves don't sweat, so no shiny skin ;) And could we have some pictures of the hairline?
Great job asmus

King T'Challa
10-18-2016, 08:51 AM
I just updated the first page lol

Ty dude! :duff lol

Travis Baumann
10-18-2016, 08:56 AM
Just ordered this. Love him, I just cant say no to Tolkien stuff. I need to make some room and re-order the Mouth of Sauron at some point too.

gideon
10-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Ordered. This is the first non baddie I have ordered from Asmus. Looks like a truly amazing figure with a dead on likeness. I love the costume as it perfectly duplicates the third film. This is going to be truly amazing!!!!!

Bucky Underbelly
10-18-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm really liking that snakeskin textured fabric.

Dixmois
10-18-2016, 02:46 PM
i like it, but at the same time, i feel like the head is too long and narrow...

Medusoid
10-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Can you order this from Sideshow? I've been trying to avoid this line, but Thranduil is very tempting...

Dixmois
10-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Can you order this from Sideshow? I've been trying to avoid this line, but Thranduil is very tempting...
Last I saw, as of like 2 hrs ago, it's not on SSC yet

cmiller99
10-18-2016, 06:17 PM

You will be able to soon, no doubt.

Wor-Gar
10-18-2016, 10:08 PM
Admittedly I am not a Hobbit fan --

-- but I do find this figure extremely tempting. But I need the space for Legolas... Gimli... Frodo... Samwise... Boromir... and of course LURTZ!

That said, this might be a figure where in-hand pictures make me pull the trigger.

Thainitty
10-18-2016, 10:51 PM
I feel the same, trying to stick to LOTR.....but man this figure looks cool

cmiller99
10-19-2016, 12:03 AM
Admittedly I am not a Hobbit fan --

-- but I do find this figure extremely tempting. But I need the space for Legolas... Gimli... Frodo... Samwise... Boromir... and of course LURTZ!

That said, this might be a figure where in-hand pictures make me pull the trigger.

LOTR characters are more important. :lecture

Flyzy
10-19-2016, 12:15 AM
Yes,

Thanks Asmus! This is excellent work ^^

Will the final product be more like the prototype on display, or the one in the promo pics?

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=299004&d=1476801380

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211291&stc=1&d=1442528466

xequae
10-19-2016, 05:35 AM
Put my order in. More of a LOTR fan, but this figure turned out great and really should look good with the other figures.

Asmus
10-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Thanks Asmus! This is excellent work ^^

Will the final product be more like the prototype on display, or the one in the promo pics?

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=299004&d=1476801380

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=211291&stc=1&d=1442528466

It will be exactly like the pictures,
this display was 2015 at STGCC,
we displayed last week in NYCC, and it was exactly the same one used to take the photos of.

hoodonit00
10-19-2016, 08:34 AM
It will be exactly like the pictures,
this display was 2015 at STGCC,
we displayed last week in NYCC, and it was exactly the same one used to take the photos of.

We going to see his son soon?

Wor-Gar
10-19-2016, 08:59 AM
We going to see his son soon?

Hope so.

At least we know the real hair will work well based on Thranduil.

Sankari
10-19-2016, 04:39 PM
I just put my order on Thranduil, I was hoping for a matte finish on his skin, but maybe that can be fixed. Its a marvellous figure, overall. Can't wait for Legolas.
Here's hoping Legolas comes with a lot of extras, and his "younger' LOTR look

cmiller99
10-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Hope so.

At least we know the real hair will work well based on Thranduil.

That's true, though the hairline will be a tad more visible because Legolas doesn't wear a headdress thing like his pa.

RandomHero
10-19-2016, 06:58 PM
I asked Sideshow customer service earlier if they were planning on carrying this, and they said they haven't received any information from Asmus about this figure yet, so they don't know if they're going to have it or not. I'd imagine they'll get some quantities, but I'm thinking it might be better ordering from Asmus direct on this one to be safe.

Asmus
10-21-2016, 01:32 AM
Just got confirmation from Sideshow that they will NOT carry Thranduil.

sixxshooter
10-21-2016, 05:03 AM

Why not Asmus ? That's terrible news .

Bucky Underbelly
10-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Is that just for this figure? Or will that include future figures as well?

marker2037
10-21-2016, 11:24 AM
I hope that's just Hobbit figures and not all your LOTR stuff too.

Geb
10-21-2016, 12:36 PM
Bard and Tauriel are NOT selling...so it's probably Hobbit only at this point. Asmus REALLY needs to get Bilbo and Thorin done...and perhaps even AZOG. Those three would give The Hobbit some needed tentpoles.

MaxGoof
10-21-2016, 03:24 PM
I don't see why Sideshow would refuse to order ANY Thranduil. Usually they at least get enough to fulfill what collectors pre-order. They'll order Grisnakh but not the Elven King? What's the world coming to?

sixxshooter
10-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Gandolf , MOS , sold out on there page so that's not it .

Wor-Gar
10-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Sideshow did sell Gandalf from the Hobbit... :D

(I know, no one is using him from that trilogy)

MaxGoof
10-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Maybe they are staying away from Hobbit merchandise...? How did Tauriel and Bard sell for Sideshow?

They still have Tauriel and Bards that are discount-eligible, but Gandalf was from the Hobbit and sold out.

Asmus
10-21-2016, 07:14 PM
The only reason we can think of is - "The Hobbit"....

Thainitty
10-21-2016, 09:01 PM
I think it's terrible that sideshow won't carry this figure, he looks fantastic! Hope sideshow gets their heads outta the sand and doesn't stop carrying asmus products (even though I'd rather buy direct from asmus anyway)

WolfBoy
10-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Looks cool.

I would have considered buying him if he was wearing his garb from Smaug, the thorn crown and robe ect, but I guess swords/armour sell more than that sort of stuff.

Still, he looks good.

dominishin
10-23-2016, 03:08 PM
i guess I'm buying a figure from hobbit now. damn.

Lumos
10-23-2016, 05:04 PM

That's lame!

Thranduil is the best.

Wor-Gar
10-23-2016, 07:46 PM
Guess they're being selective with which Middle Earth figures they will give room to in their storehouse.

Good news for LOTR interest though (which is my true interest).

cmiller99
11-07-2016, 12:29 AM
This update posted a few days ago to Asmus' Facebook.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14915266_10153843066621968_455867408389882537_n.jp g?oh=b235185ba5648a488110390393892fa8&oe=589A4EE6

The Ween
11-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Since Sideshow isn't getting this (I wanted to use reward points), where is the best place to get it from? AlterEgo is out for me since I have to pay sales tax there.

whitd
11-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Since Sideshow isn't getting this (I wanted to use reward points), where is the best place to get it from? AlterEgo is out for me since I have to pay sales tax there.

timewalkertoys.com

The Ween
11-11-2016, 06:08 AM
Looks to me like SSC is only carrying LotR Asmus figures since they have Sam and Frodo up for pre-order.

The Ween
11-11-2016, 06:20 AM
I was thinking someone told me Timewalker had high shipping prices though if you didn't buy enough.

hoodonit00
11-11-2016, 06:30 AM
I was thinking someone told me Timewalker had high shipping prices though if you didn't buy enough.

Why don't you order right from Asmus?

Wor-Gar
11-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Timewalker had high shipping prices though ....

And Sideshow doesn't...?

solominic_knight
11-12-2016, 10:48 PM
Dang, this piece looks great. Will wait till its at my local shop before making my mind up.

Sassafras
11-17-2016, 11:27 PM
Bard and Tauriel are NOT selling...so it's probably Hobbit only at this point. Asmus REALLY needs to get Bilbo and Thorin done...and perhaps even AZOG. Those three would give The Hobbit some needed tentpoles.

Well, Bilbo and Thorin are must haves for me, and i am sitting 3 feet from my GtG and he is awesome. *%* SSC, have a PO in at BBTS for Thranduil. Just likeness, likeness, likeness re Bilbo and Thorin plz. And Legolas. Those 3 are candidates for getting multiples if the portraits are good, for me. Can't wait to have Thranduil.

VGlorfindel
11-20-2016, 09:47 AM
The Elk?

cmiller99
11-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Probably not going to happen. :lol

RandomHero
11-21-2016, 07:40 AM
Really on the fence if I should pick this up or not. I had absolutely every intention, but since Asmus doesn't seem to be able to produce consistently acceptable head sculpts, I don't know if this line is going to be worth breaking into.

Ugh.

Wor-Gar
11-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Sometimes its best to wait for in-hand photos if you're on the fence.

Asmus
11-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately,
Thranduil are sold well,
We will make only 700 pc .

Now we know why Sideshow abandoned The Hobbit.
Smart move...

hoodonit00
11-23-2016, 09:18 AM
No disrespect to those who collect the line but I know I had no interest in the line from the start. I wonder if we would have a couple more characters from LOTR if The Hobbit license was not pursued. Maybe Theoden, Eomer, Arwen?

CanadianBrandon
11-24-2016, 05:59 AM
Damn. That's not sounding good. I'm still hoping you guys will make Bilbo from the Hobbit as that would be a must have for me. Although at the end of the day the full fellowship is my priority. Last thing we want is another unfinished LOTR line...

superdoug
11-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Don't even say it!!!!

We know Boromir, Legolas and Gimli are all in some form of development so holpefully at least those get made. I for one am hoping the Lord of the Rings side does well enough to last for at least a few more years.

Sassafras
11-24-2016, 09:43 AM
No disrespect to those who collect the line but I know I had no interest in the line from the start. I wonder if we would have a couple more characters from LOTR if The Hobbit license was not pursued. Maybe Theoden, Eomer, Arwen?

Well, that's the thing...for myself I wouldn't buy any of those (OK, maybe Theoden and Eomer) but even as loved as LOTR (and the Hobbit) may be, IMO 1:6 scale is probably a business for the love of it. Am sure HT has put out figs that sit out there for years. I know WETA has in the poly market. Even when ASMUS put out Aragorn, there was another Aragorn out there. There's no current movie like SW and Marvel to stoke interest. Also ASMUS POs are competing w. all the other POs folks have.:horror I waited on Bard and will probably miss MOS because of budget.:(

Plus when I first read "ASMUS was doing the Hobbit line" I had to look the company up vs. HT who has been around a while. Anyway if the promised? rumored? Thorin/Legolas/Bilbo don't show up it's going to be a real bummer for me:(:(:(, and back to hoping WETA does something...but it's different media, not like having the cloth costumes and being able to change a display.

DioramaMaker
11-24-2016, 09:31 PM
I think (hope) Thorin and Bilbo are probably what will close the Hobbit line out - and that's fine by me.

MaxGoof
11-24-2016, 09:43 PM
I think (hope) Thorin and Bilbo are probably what will close the Hobbit line out - and that's fine by me.

Don't forget Azog. As Orcs seem to be Asmus' specialty, I think they could make a real winning Azog.

DioramaMaker
11-24-2016, 11:50 PM
Don't forget Azog. As Orcs seem to be Asmus' specialty, I think they could make a real winning Azog.
I might have agreed with you a few months ago, but the amount of unique tooling to make an Azog probably will prohibit it's creation. With Bilbo and Thorin the have both the bodies (dwarf and hobbit) availible for reuse. That being said, I totally agree that they would have likely knocked such an idea out of the park.

Asmus
11-25-2016, 01:06 AM
I might have agreed with you a few months ago, but the amount of unique tooling to make an Azog probably will prohibit it's creation. With Bilbo and Thorin the have both the bodies (dwarf and hobbit) availible for reuse. That being said, I totally agree that they would have likely knocked such an idea out of the park.

As far as we have discussed....
Dain is out for sure
Bilbo and Thorin are still in,
Azog may swing either way, but Bolg is out too...

A sad day for The Hobbit...

DioramaMaker
11-25-2016, 02:51 AM
Dain is out for sure

Thank you for your input! It's much appreciated. Unfortunate, I agree, but I think the main audience will always love LOTR over the Hobbit, which is probably why it's struggling. After all, I don't think any Hobbit merchandise truly did well.

Out of all the other dwarves, I think Dwalin might be the only other who would be 'cool' enough to get a figure solely on looks. But fingers crossed for Thorin and Bilbo, at the very least Bilbo, I truly hope!

xequae
11-25-2016, 06:15 AM
Dain is out for sure

Glad to hear that Bilbo and Thorin are still in. It would be great to see some more figures from the Hobbit, but I'm ok, if those are the only two that get a release.

CanadianBrandon
11-25-2016, 06:18 AM
Dain is out for sure

Glad to hear you guys still intend to do a few. If Bilbo and Thorin look good I'll be ordering them for sure!

hoodonit00
11-25-2016, 07:42 AM
Dain is out for sure

If Asmus is really going to do a Uruk Hai then I could see the body being used for it and Azog.

sixxshooter
11-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Dain is out for sure

PLEASE MAKE AZOG HAPPEN !! He's the coolest character in the Hobbit movies IMO . You guys do such an awesome job with your creatures . I guarantee AZOG will sell out quick ! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/2ff09cde4a6a2eabcf5ad01366b18bd7.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161125/203d85ca359ece38ce82e85f389dd9c5.jpg

RandomHero
11-25-2016, 01:47 PM
I think if people had more faith that the sculpting would actually look like the characters, the Hobbit line may fair better. Shame.

darkeyes
11-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Dain is out for sure

That's too bad, I would have liked a Radagast to go with the other wizards.

DioramaMaker
11-25-2016, 03:00 PM
If Asmus is really going to do a Uruk Hai then I could see the body being used for it and Azog.
Azog is 100% unique, there's no reuse there.

Sassafras
11-26-2016, 01:09 AM
I think if people had more faith that the sculpting would actually look like the characters, the Hobbit line may fair better. Shame.

True. Companies like HT may have portrait misfires time to time, but they have pumped out lots of stellar likenesses. Just relieved there will be a Bilbo and Thorin - I wish Dwalin, Fili, Kili, at least too, and IMO it would be a mistake to NOT do Azog, considering both Bilbo and especially Thorin face off with this character.

Travis Baumann
11-28-2016, 02:07 PM
I am down for Elves from any film. I also really need a Dwarf or two to round out the other heroic species a bit. Gimli and Thorin would be definitely buys unless something unexpected happens to the sculpts.

I am more interested in a Gollum than Hobbits personally and I absolutely love Orcs so more of those too please.

master anakin skywalker
12-04-2016, 03:39 PM
So is thranduil going to be up for preorder on sideshowtoys.com??

Dixmois
12-04-2016, 06:52 PM
So is thranduil going to be up for preorder on sideshowtoys.com??
Pretty sure Asmus said SSC isn't stocking him for some reason

Wor-Gar
12-04-2016, 11:16 PM
No reason given. Suspect Sideshow no longer wants to carry The Hobbit figures.

DioramaMaker
12-05-2016, 04:03 AM
They can't give away Bard and Tauriel at this point - I assume that's the reason why, the Hobbit source material. And heck, Bard is actually a cool figure at that. Considering that from my understanding, they will still stock future LotR figs, it's the only reason I can see why they won't.

GhostBeard
12-05-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm surprised The Hobbit gets so little support. I'm in the minority that prefers them to LoR. Sorry. I would be buying these figures if the likenesses were more screen accurate. Really a shame.

Sassafras
12-06-2016, 12:00 AM
I'm surprised The Hobbit gets so little support. I'm in the minority that prefers them to LoR. Sorry. I would be buying these figures if the likenesses were more screen accurate. Really a shame.

Me too. Great characters and performances. Hope to put more in the Bard thread, just got Bard today, but I am really beginning to think photos just don't do justice to Asmus, somehow. Loved GtG and Bard is BEAUTIFUL. If Thranduil is that good will be one happy collector.

Travis Baumann
12-06-2016, 11:55 AM
I think the Hobbit series are unfairly maligned. They are not as good as LOTR but you are taking a very short book and stretching that into three films which I felt was excessive and then there are a number of story and character modifications as well that book fans have a right to be miffed about but the movies in and of themselves are still awesome just because we are immersed in Tolkien's world. I love Orcs and Elves and Dragons so I was pretty content with the films overall. Parts of them are a bit silly like the barrels in the river video game scene and Tauriel's romance but I forgive those parts. Thranduil was great in the movies, really brought a haughty Elven immortal king to life and that Stagg was so awesome.

GhostBeard
12-06-2016, 01:00 PM
I think the Hobbit series are unfairly maligned. They are not as good as LOTR but you are taking a very short book and stretching that into three films which I felt was excessive and then there are a number of story and character modifications as well that book fans have a right to be miffed about but the movies in and of themselves are still awesome just because we are immersed in Tolkien's world. I love Orcs and Elves and Dragons so I was pretty content with the films overall. Parts of them are a bit silly like the barrels in the river video game scene and Tauriel's romance but I forgive those parts. Thranduil was great in the movies, really brought a haughty Elven immortal king to life and that Stagg was so awesome.

I can agree with this. My youngest son and I watched all these in the theaters; it was our thing and we were sad to have them end. I was deployed when LotR was released so I kind of missed the boat there, never felt as into them. I really prefer Bilbo to Frodo in the films (Frodo's whining gets tiresome) and the overall lighter feel of the Hobbit was welcome. Plus, no Liev Tyler. ;) I forgave Tauriel as a character because it helped flesh out another dwarf and it put Legolas in an interesting light; and I prefer Legolas in the Hobbit because he was so hard-assed.

Always thought the Hobbit movies were a lot of fun, weird others are torqued by them.

GhostBeard
12-06-2016, 01:04 PM
As for the figures I never felt The Hobbit was given its due. Of course I have no idea why some figures sell like hotcakes compared to others. An accurate Bilbo and Thorin would be hard to pass up. Glad others liked and bought GtG. I preferred the initial sculpt they showed as compared to what was actually released, so I passed. As for Thranduil, his movie look was great and loved what they did with him. The sculpt on this face is too wide and is off-putting; so probably not buying him either.

Maybe one day another company will take a swing. :impatient::wink1:

GavilanOrd
12-06-2016, 01:42 PM
The Hobbit, The LotR and Tolkien in general are timeless lore so you can only hope other companies will pick up the 1/6 gauntlet at some point in the future when Asmus is done with it. The movies helped propel this license into the pop-culture limelight and almost all collectibles out today are based on those movies. With them being done, I'm doubting anyone will do it in the next decade (or two even) so this may be it for some time, and maybe ever in the 1/6 figure scale.

I give kudos to Asmus for going after this line and giving us collectors the opportunity to own these but yes, most of the facial likenesses (specifically the human and human-esque faces) are not on par with what can be done right now. It's unfortunate but some of us are living with it. Ultimately you have to decide if you love these characters enough look past some of the likeness issues and obviously some of us have.

GhostBeard
12-06-2016, 04:17 PM
True. If people keep buying it's only going to be good for all fans and collectors.

Sassafras
12-06-2016, 05:50 PM
I can agree with this. My youngest son and I watched all these in the theaters; it was our thing and we were sad to have them end. I was deployed when LotR was released so I kind of missed the boat there, never felt as into them. I really prefer Bilbo to Frodo in the films (Frodo's whining gets tiresome) and the overall lighter feel of the Hobbit was welcome. Plus, no Liev Tyler. ;) I forgave Tauriel as a character because it helped flesh out another dwarf and it put Legolas in an interesting light; and I prefer Legolas in the Hobbit because he was so hard-assed.

Always thought the Hobbit movies were a lot of fun, weird others are torqued by them.

Ditto.

Sassafras
12-06-2016, 06:04 PM
The Hobbit, The LotR and Tolkien in general are timeless lore so you can only hope other companies will pick up the 1/6 gauntlet at some point in the future when Asmus is done with it. The movies helped propel this license into the pop-culture limelight and almost all collectibles out today are based on those movies. With them being done, I'm doubting anyone will do it in the next decade (or two even) so this may be it for some time, and maybe ever in the 1/6 figure scale.

I give kudos to Asmus for going after this line and giving us collectors the opportunity to own these but yes, most of the facial likenesses (specifically the human and human-esque faces) are not on par with what can be done right now. It's unfortunate but some of us are living with it. Ultimately you have to decide if you love these characters enough look past some of the likeness issues and obviously some of us have.

Interesting. I'd say I'd be one of the first in line to get picky re costumes and face, esp. w. action figures vs. poly - poly, re the media itself, IMO doesn't easily lend itself to razor-sharp likenesses at 1:6 scale. It can get very good, like w. WETA's Faramir, but never seems to be like HT vinyl.

But then I get Bard yesterday, and I'd say he's at 95-97% likeness:love, and the fig just for me totally nails the essence of the character, even the expression. Was thinking yesterday re the care w. the scale of the fabrics, the quality of the costume and accessories, and the IMO gorgeous paint job that I'd put Bard on par w. Hot Toys, for this fig, at least in face/costume.

Or, IMO so many changes were made to HT's Finn sculpt I was glad I checked in-hand images and passed on Finn:(. Re that fig, the awesome HT to me lost the character w. the production sculpt. Yet often folks seem to tolerate HT for a lot of stuff, but seem harder on ASMUS. ASMUS has had some issues, IMO, like the "squished" GtW and body issues. But IMO ASMUS is coming along and if Thranduil is as good as Bard I'll be wishing I ordered two figs.

Dresky
01-16-2017, 05:35 AM
Released in one week! Weeeeee!

superdoug
01-16-2017, 06:55 AM
Awesome!

Now start announcing some more Lord of the Rings or Hobbit figures!!! We know Gimli, Legolas, Boromir and Uruk Hai are all at some point in development but no new preorders yet. :(

xequae
01-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Great News!! Hopefully he'll turn out as good as the prototype.

It would be great if they could finish up the Fellowship before the end of the year.

Sassafras
01-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Awesome!

Now start announcing some more Lord of the Rings or Hobbit figures!!! We know Gimli, Legolas, Boromir and Uruk Hai are all at some point in development but no new preorders yet. :(

Thorin/Bilbo, Thorin/Bilbo...glad to hear about Thranduil, was wondering what was up with him:impatient::love Feel like he's been one of my POs forever....

Blood Electricity
01-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Im excited for this one personally. The armor just looks amazing

Travis Baumann
01-20-2017, 09:30 AM
I am super excited for it. I decided to cancel all the Dredd stuff I had on pre-order to not overcrowd my growing Elf shelf.

Sassafras
01-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Im excited for this one personally. The armor just looks amazing

Agreed! Was my most-wanted version of this character, in any form (poly/vinyl) and looks like ASMUS came through in a big way (diorama base, twin swords). And I've got nothing but good things to say about the quality of ASMUS costumes.

Hope for a ship notice soon!

Sankari
01-21-2017, 06:56 AM

Someone just posted this on facebook.

Looks to me like its downgraded somewhat. I hope its a bad picture, but it could be a sign that the sculpt has changed =/

hoodonit00
01-21-2017, 07:41 AM
What's funny is even though the released sculpt doesn't look like the prototype I think it looks more accurate. That's just my opinion though.

Sassafras
01-21-2017, 09:45 AM
What's funny is even though the released sculpt doesn't look like the prototype I think it looks more accurate. That's just my opinion though.

I think so too from that pic! That's good, isn't it?:cool:

xequae
01-21-2017, 09:56 AM
I think he looks great and is one of the best likenesses they have had so far.

rjszar
01-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture.

Dresky
01-21-2017, 01:10 PM
I'm so ready for this. Glad to be one of the 600 to own this wonderful piece.

BRING IT!!

Spartan Rex
01-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Are you guys daft?!
The face is too elongated.

Asmus needs some serious quality control implementation.

hoodonit00
01-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Are you guys daft?!
The face is too elongated.

Asmus needs some serious quality control implementation.
I never thought the prototype looked like Lee Pace. Lee Pace doesn't have a rugged square face like the prototype. He has a long thin face.

Spartan Rex
01-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Take yer pick:
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/oprah.gif
Or
https://media.giphy.com/media/kilEsmm7DHKU/giphy.gif

rjszar
01-21-2017, 04:09 PM
I never thought the prototype looked like Lee Pace. Lee Pace doesn't have a rugged square face like the prototype. He has a long thin face.

Exactly

Blood Electricity
01-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Looks great to me.

hoodonit00
01-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Exactly

Yea but we're daft.

Spartan Rex
01-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Yea but we're daft.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo9dj3u7Ad1qcxztuo1_250.gif
(They're running a special on Oprah gifs today, buy 2 get 1 free)

paula
01-21-2017, 06:20 PM

cmiller99
01-22-2017, 01:10 AM
That looks like a majorly out of focus iPhone pic, I wouldn't pay it too much attention.

Sassafras
01-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Exactly

If I open the box and see a Thranduil like that pic, I'll be real happy!

Thainitty
01-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Agreed, the production heads matches the shape of the actor face better than the proto

RandomHero
01-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Absolutely sucks there's only 600 of these.

I've crapped on Asmus a lot, but I had every intention of picking this one up to go with Legolas when they release him, as I'd like to give them a shot. The final product actually looks pretty good, but now that HT has just released all of the Civil War figures and they're on the way, I'm not sure Thranduil is still in the budget. My fiance would probably kill me.

Damn.

Sankari
01-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Anyway, they said he's been released soon , I would just like a tiny preview with more professional pictures, so that we can judge the final product.
They've been awfully silent

PG1973
01-23-2017, 03:38 AM

I think this looks really good. I wish I was into the hobbit movies more because this would have been a must have.

rjszar
01-23-2017, 04:33 AM
I think that's a great shot and it definitely looks good. Not sure if it's just the paint app, but it looks better than the proto.

DioramaMaker
01-23-2017, 08:43 AM
I actually prefer this shot they offered. Goodness this figure looks awesome, I just -can't- reconcile my relative distaste for the Hobbt films to buy this guy. Great looking figure but ultimately unnecessary for my collection. The only two Hobbit characters I'll buy, and really want, are Thorin and DEFINITELY a Martin Freeman Bilbo. But I do think you guys are getting a rad figure with this one. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/ccf49f0117ad713d8b05d1372fe6ca6c.jpg

xequae
01-24-2017, 07:07 AM
He is paid for, but sounds like it won't ship out the week of February 6th.

Bucky Underbelly
01-24-2017, 07:19 AM
Invoice received. Invoice paid.

:clap

Sounds like he may ship immediately if you pay before the 27th. But if you pay after the 27th he won't ship until the 6th. I think. I could be reading that wrong.

Either way, Thranduil is incoming!

Dresky
01-24-2017, 07:20 AM
He is paid for, but sounds like it won't ship out the week of February 6th.

Nah, i paid now too and i'm pretty sure they will ship asap.

It says "Also be informed that we are closing from January 27th to Fen 5th.... If your payment is made during the holidays... Your product will be shipped to you... when the offices are resumed to their functions"

xequae
01-24-2017, 07:36 AM
Nah, i paid now too and i'm pretty sure they will ship asap.

It says "Also be informed that we are closing from January 27th to Fen 5th.... If your payment is made during the holidays... Your product will be shipped to you... when the offices are resumed to their functions"

Yeah, reading that I wasn't sure if he would ship beforehand or not. Hopefully they can get them shipped this week.

Sankari
01-24-2017, 10:26 AM
I just think its a pity that they aren't releasing full pictures of the finished product. Seems so counter intuitive. I wish they'd at least offer us some better shots

gideon
01-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Just took care of my payment and hope to have it soon. This looks really tremendous.

Sassafras
01-25-2017, 09:35 AM
Yeah, reading that I wasn't sure if he would ship beforehand or not. Hopefully they can get them shipped this week.

I went through BBTS - hope to hear something soon...

rjszar
01-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Haven't gotten my invoice from Asmus. Had to e-mail them about this. They overlooked my order for the Conner set, so I'm guessing the same thing happened again. Don't know what's going on with them. I put in an order with BBTS just to protect myself.

FlyAndFight
01-25-2017, 05:26 PM
I agree that the sculpt actually looks more like the actor but the hair doesn't look good.

PG1973
01-26-2017, 04:25 AM

Awesome figure, I'm sure those of you that got this won't be disappointed.

Thainitty
01-26-2017, 05:01 AM
He looks great pg1973! :clap

Dresky
01-26-2017, 05:08 AM

Awesome figure, I'm sure those of you that got this won't be disappointed.

Love it!

This is my first Asmus figure (and first time i buy directly from them). Do they send an email/tracking when they ship?

PG1973
01-26-2017, 06:05 AM
He looks great pg1973! :clap
I pulled those pics off their fb page, it's not my figure. If I was into the Hobbit more I would have preordered this immediately.

xequae
01-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Looks great!! Mine has shipped so it should be here in about a week.

sixxshooter
01-26-2017, 07:01 AM
Asmus toys never cease to amaze me . Great job !

Sassafras
01-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Looks great!! Mine has shipped so it should be here in about a week.

Still waiting to hear from BBTS...anything. Thranduil looks stellar!:clap

Haven't gotten my invoice from Asmus. Had to e-mail them about this. They overlooked my order for the Conner set, so I'm guessing the same thing happened again. Don't know what's going on with them. I put in an order with BBTS just to protect myself.

Have had problems w. ASMUS site, so use BBTS *shrug*. Seems to work fine for other people, tho.

TheWordWizard
01-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Does the BBTS one come with the pre-order exclusive staff? I've been meaning to place my pre-order on there, but haven't seen anything about the bonus.

Travis Baumann
01-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Love it!

This is my first Asmus figure (and first time i buy directly from them). Do they send an email/tracking when they ship?

They did in this instance, I got my notice/tracking number this morning but they warned that it may get delayed in transit due to Chinese New Year and that the tracking number would not show up right away online.

I have ordered most of their figures direct and sometimes they just show up without a notice and one time I got the notice two days after the package showed up so it varies a bit but they seem to be getting more consistent with them.

Dresky
01-26-2017, 11:09 AM
They did in this instance, I got my notice/tracking number this morning but they warned that it may get delayed in transit due to Chinese New Year and that the tracking number would not show up right away online.

I have ordered most of their figures direct and sometimes they just show up without a notice and one time I got the notice two days after the package showed up so it varies a bit but they seem to be getting more consistent with them.

Thanks for the reply!

So i guess it's pretty random lol. I hope i'll get an email before tomorrow.

Thainitty
01-26-2017, 06:01 PM
I pulled those pics off their fb page, it's not my figure. If I was into the Hobbit more I would have preordered this immediately.

Ah I see, I don't do Facebook so thanks for sharing anyway....I am not planning on collecting hobbit figures either except maybe Bilbo and Thorin....this figure is tempting though

YanSnoopS
01-27-2017, 04:59 PM
I was looking foward for legolas after looking at thranduil prototype... but now .... lol forget about it...

hoodonit00
01-27-2017, 07:05 PM
I was looking foward for legolas after looking at thranduil prototype... but now .... lol forget about it...

I said it once and I'll say it again. You don't like the released sculpt that's fine. But that prototype sculpt looked less like Pace than the released sculpt.

Keegan
01-27-2017, 11:06 PM
This looks pretty ok. The expression is petulant, which fits the character (at times - he looks like he just realized that Tauriel does not approve) and whatever they used for the Elven chainmail seems unique. Armor looks really nice, cape looks challenging, hair looks replaceable. Another Asmus fig where some minor customizing could really make it zing.

But if you're going to make an elf then I'm thinking...ahem...that this guy might rank...

Sorry! Stoked for all who are stoked. Never would have imagined a figure of this character and cheers to Asmus for making Thranduil!

rjszar
01-28-2017, 03:48 AM
I think the figure turned out great. I ,however, will have to wait awhile to get mine, as Asmus screwed up again. Second time in the last three orders. I didn't get an invoice. When I inquired about it, they said they had the order, but didn't know why I didn't get the invoice. Now I'm waiting until after their holidays to get it sorted out. I'm going to have a difficult time ordering direct from now on.

Sassafras
01-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Does the BBTS one come with the pre-order exclusive staff? I've been meaning to place my pre-order on there, but haven't seen anything about the bonus.

Was recently e-mailing back and forth w. BBTS about the WS Cap set I ordered - didn't ask about the staff, but when I PO'd Gandalf w. Sideshow his extra staff was there, no problem. Did ask about when they expected Thranduil - they don't know, either. But if the staff doesn't come w. a PO, I would fuss - either w. BBTS or ASMUS, IMO if it states that you PO you get something, you should get it, no matter who you PO with. From BBTS:

With Thranduil on preorder, I'm happy to explain. With items that are listed as 'preorder', this means that at this time we are still awaiting our shipment(s) to arrive. We are at the mercy of the suppliers and manufacturers when it comes to preorders, as they tend to provide very little information about exact arrival and/or ship dates. Often times we may not receive any updates on products until they are in transit to our facility. If an update is provided by the manufacturer that a product will be delayed, we do our best to send out notices in advance to keep our customers aware. If there is no update available, we will then change over the month or time frame of every existing preorder once the previous month or quarter has ended. We would love to have everything arrive on time as expected with firm release dates like movies and video games for example, but unfortunately in the world of toys it can seem anything but consistent! I apologize that no further information is available.

If they are starting to hit the market, this leads me to believe that our shipment(s) are not far behind. The nature of these items can be the source for a lot of headaches and needed patience as the arrivals are, unfortunately, out of our control as indicated previously. We have to rely on the manufacturers getting the items to us, and how they ship them to us (land, sea, air) can be a large determination on how quickly our items arrive. We sometimes have the capability of receiving items sooner than other vendors and begin shipping, while the alternative can also happen in some instances.

Since you have the figure on preorder, if we do receive any information regarding the figures, we will be happy to let you know right away. Otherwise, watch that email inbox closely as we will inform you when your order is being filled. Typically, we are able to begin filling orders the same day the items arrive in stock!

GtG took quite a while from SSC, but when he came, no problems.

TheWordWizard
01-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Was recently e-mailing back and forth w. BBTS about the WS Cap set I ordered - didn't ask about the staff, but when I PO'd Gandalf w. Sideshow his extra staff was there, no problem. Did ask about when they expected Thranduil - they don't know, either. But if the staff doesn't come w. a PO, I would fuss - either w. BBTS or ASMUS, IMO if it states that you PO you get something, you should get it, no matter who you PO with. From BBTS:

GtG took quite a while from SSC, but when he came, no problems.
Ah, cool. guess I'll put my pre-order in soon then!

Dresky
01-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Checked my tracking and i should get it by thursday. So hyped!

Actually watched Battle of the Five Armies for the first time last night just to see Thranduil in action lol.

Travis Baumann
01-30-2017, 03:50 PM
Well the tracking info shows that he showed up in Los Angeles customs at 3:45 AM this morning so hopefully he makes it to me in a day or two.

Looking forward to this guy.

gideon
01-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Checked my tracking and i should get it by thursday. So hyped!

Actually watched Battle of the Five Armies for the first time last night just to see Thranduil in action lol.

I dearly hope you viewed the extended edition as its twice the film that the theatrical release was.

Dresky
01-31-2017, 06:35 PM
I dearly hope you viewed the extended edition as its twice the film that the theatrical release was.

Nope lol. The movie didn't make any sense to me (felt rushed), but it's in the end i really knew something was wrong when there was no burial for Thorin.

Sassafras
01-31-2017, 10:37 PM
Nope lol. The movie didn't make any sense to me (felt rushed), but it's in the end i really knew something was wrong when there was no burial for Thorin.

Gideon is right IMO, theatrical was edited way too tight - try the extended cut.

xequae
02-01-2017, 12:42 PM
I think mine is sitting at home. Going to be a long couple of hours.

Travis Baumann
02-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Got my Elven King today. He actually came yesterday but as with all Asmus packages, no one is home to sign with the postman so I ran and picked him up on a break. Since no one has posted in-hand or really any full production pics on this guy, this one is going to be photo heavy.

Overall, I am happy with him.

Number one standout is his face sculpt looks good. It looks a lot like Pace (also a tiny bit like a young Pearce Brosnan or the guy who plays Jamie on GOT), He looks enough like the actor that it is immediately recognizable and the paint apps look good. I would not have minded a bit more pronounced of an Elven ear but looking at screencaps, looks correct. The hair is thick and not as crazy long as their proto. It has a lot of product to keep it in place and I am at work so not going to futz that as well as it will be. The crown is glued onto the hair so the top of the hair is immobile (which is a good thing really).

The armor plates look really good, but the swords are just outstanding. Solid metal, well designed and the type of weapons we should be seeing from all 1/6th companies (looking at you GOT plastic swords). The hands are much softer rubber so they swap with ease (and they included extra wrist pegs to boot) but his grip on his metal swords could be tighter. The wrists are snug enough so the hands don't spin on the peg but the actual grip is a bit open so you have to position them just right.

The cape is long and lush. There is a very small wire in the edge for posing but the cape is pretty heavy so the drape overtakes the wire quite a bit. Patience will get it into good looking action poses but it will not fan out into some of his spinning/slashing poses as it is just too heavy.

He comes with a regular stand and then a toppled column base which is really heavy. I am not putting this together at work so photos of that at some other point.

I tried to get him into some of the same poses as screencaps I got on line. Here are my first light on futzing attempts with crappy phone camera:

going for this pose:

Some shots of the sculpt

for comparison:

Back for those interested:

Box art:

Which was taken from this shot:

The first pose I put him in right out of the box:

I do have two small knitpicks that once I futz his hair will not be noticeable but they did bother me at first.

First one is the plastic hairline that is under his rooted hair. It has a small gap between it and the material they used for the skin. Once I get home and have a chance to lightly comb out some of the product in the hair at the temples and get the hair to lay more like he wears it in the film this will not be noticeable.

The second one is there is some weird rubber body/neck on him and the rubber comes up too high and is too thick so it is really hard to get his head into some angled positions. The rubber neck actually buckles as you try to put him in some looking down poses and leaves a gap at the base of the head join. With some futzing/posing this can be overcome and once the collar is up, the hair futzed, etc, you cannot see this effect but just made me wonder why they bothered with some sort of rubber body suit thing on him as it prevents a perfect join on the neck.

Here is close up photo of the area:

These two things can be overlooked as they will not be noticeable once properly posed and minor futzing needed (mostly with hair and cape).

One other thing to look out for, the little armor pieces that come out over his hands are attached with what seems to be a fabric strip. They flop around a bit but can be futzed easily. My biggest concern is while changing hands, something could go wrong.

As I said, happy with this guy. I would have sacrificed the display base to knock some cash off the price as he is pretty expensive but I am happy to add the Elven King to my collection and cannot wait for his son to arrive. I really (really) wish all four Hobbits (and Gandalf the Grey too actually) were up to this level of craftsmanship.

Dresky
02-01-2017, 01:03 PM
I think mine is sitting at home. Going to be a long couple of hours.

Mine cleared Canada customs, but it's been sitting there for the last 4 days (curse you Richmond, BC!!!).

If only i could see in-hand pics or a video review while waiting lol.

Dresky
02-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Some shots of the sculpt

Omg thank you for this!

I really like this shot. I can see the actor right there. Once the hair is futzed, this will be great!

Travis Baumann
02-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Here are few more... Trying to screw around with the phone settings to get better pics... my office is dark.

paula
02-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks for sharing!! <3

Bucky Underbelly
02-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Great shots, Travis! I think I'm going to have to steal that over-the-shoulder double sword pose for my display.

Glad to hear you like him in-hand. Very happy to have one headed my way!

I paid within minutes of getting the invoice but didn't get a tracking number. Hopefully, he's headed to my door now ...

xequae
02-01-2017, 08:40 PM
Mine did arrive today and I'm really pleased with him. Glad I got the staff with him, since I think that is how I'm going to pose him. I agree with pretty much everything Travis said about him. He is a great figure with just a few small nitpicks. My biggest complaint is probably how loose the swords are when he holds them. They don't fall out of his hand, but they are hard to get posed right since they wobble around. Overall one of Asmus's better figures.

Sassafras
02-02-2017, 12:38 AM
Thanks to all posting pics!!!! Come on BBTS! What a beautiful fig, doesn't sound like any issues you wouldn't run into on an HT - can't wait!!!:clap

gideon
02-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Great shots, Travis! I think I'm going to have to steal that over-the-shoulder double sword pose for my display.

Glad to hear you like him in-hand. Very happy to have one headed my way!

I paid within minutes of getting the invoice but didn't get a tracking number. Hopefully, he's headed to my door now ...

Great minds must think alike because I instantly came to the same conclusion about the pose. Its just perfect.

Bucky Underbelly
02-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Had a slip from the post office waiting for me when I got home from work last night and went in and picked him up this morning!

I only had a few minutes to give him a quick once-over before work, but overall, I'm very happy with this guy! Looks very nice in hand and his color scheme should really pop on my shelves. (Love that spangly purple snakeskin!)

I only have a few little issues that don't bother me overmuch but are probably worth mentioning. The hair on mine is cut at a sharp angle in the back. So it's shorter on one side than the other. It's noticeable if you're looking at him from behind, but it won't be a problem when I display him. I may give him a trim to even it out, though.

Also, I echo Travis' comment about the floppy hand armor pieces. One of mine is very loose and hangs off to the side. It's probably something I can futz when I have more time to work with him, but it's puzzling why they didn't just make that armor piece a permanent part of the hand sculpt. If it was just a part of the sculpt rather than a separate piece, there would be no issue. But, like I said, that's a minor nit.

I really love the fallen pillar base. (I'm a sucker for environment bases.) But I was having a tough time getting him situated on it. The support post for the crotch cradle seems to be angled oddly. Though, I may just be doing it wrong. Like I said, I didn't have much time to fiddle with him.

But overall, I really like this figure! Solid likeness, excellent outfit work, good use of real hair, and the body has solid joints and good proportions. Happy to welcome him into my Middle Earth collection! Nice work, Asmus!

Jrobertson
02-02-2017, 10:30 AM
this turned out awesome.

rjszar
02-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Can I assume that the hair can actually cover the ears? Most of the time his ears are just poking through his hair or are completely covered. I don't like the pushed back look.

xequae
02-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Can I assume that the hair can actually cover the ears? Most of the time his ears are just poking through his hair or are completely covered. I don't like the pushed back look.

I think you can get it to cover the ears pretty well and look better, but it would take some futzing. The hair is kind of stiff toward the back of the head due to something put in it to keep it in place, so you would have to work with it some.

gideon
02-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Got mine today - really really happy with it. Asmus did a first class job all the way. The likeness is amazing and that double sword pose really makes it very fluid. This is a real artsy piece and I love the foundation piece he is perched upon.

Travis Baumann
02-03-2017, 08:47 AM
I had a bit more time with him last night. The cape is heavy but cool, I don't quite have the hair the way I want it but it is more along the lines of what I am looking for. Very cool figure.

Dresky
02-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Just got mine and wow! Will comb the hair better tonight and take better pics.

Wor-Gar
02-06-2017, 12:20 PM
The hair on yours looks great. What did you do? Extensions?

Dresky
02-06-2017, 12:25 PM
The hair on yours looks great. What did you do? Extensions?

Released the top of the hair by ungluing the crown on both sides. Then i dipped the head in hot water for a minute.

After that, you can pretty much do what you want with the hair.

FlyAndFight
02-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Great job, Dresky! Looks 100 times better.

Dresky
02-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Great job, Dresky! Looks 100 times better.

Thanks!

Reminds me of Hot Toys' Chewbacca lol. They dropped the bottle of gel on Thranduil's head, but it's easy to fix and make it look good.

Dresky
02-06-2017, 05:29 PM
More pics.

Keegan
02-06-2017, 10:07 PM
That looks awesome, Dresky! A complete transformation. Even the smallest mod can change the course of the figure.

Adamchua
02-07-2017, 04:48 AM
wow...... this is amazing !!! :clap

hoodonit00
02-07-2017, 05:53 AM
More pics.

You should post these on the Asmus site on FB Dresky. Lots of haters there.

Dresky
02-07-2017, 07:01 AM
You should post these on the Asmus site on FB Dresky. Lots of haters there.

Sent them a PM on Facebook (i don't think i'm allowed to post there).

There will always be haters. I mean, i know this figure's headsculpt isn't very accurate, but it's still great (nice paint job, etc).

When i looked in my Detolf this morning, i saw a superb figure of an elven king. The armor's great, the weapons are great, love the wired cape, love the base, the body's super flexible and even the box art surprised me.

And once you fix the hair, it's just great to look at. For 200$ (shipping included), it's an awesome deal.

P.S.: And i'm not a blind fanboy, this is actually my first Asmus figure.

Lee in MI
02-07-2017, 07:55 AM
Repped!

That is just awesome. Asmus' figs all need some futzing to fully appreciate them. This needed very little but made a HUGE difference.

Dresky
02-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Repped!

RandomHero
02-07-2017, 07:39 PM
I am really, really, reeeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy having trouble with this figure. I really want to get it, I really want to support Asmus and have a LOTR collection. If I buy it, I'm also buying Eowyn so he's not alone. The issue is, I can't decide if I want to spend the money on it. I'm such a stickler about detail, and I'm worried about the sculpts on these figures not looking as accurate as they should.

What do you guys think? I'm a HUGE Tolkein fan and really want to get into this line, but I'm scared to dive into it if I'm not going to be happy. Are any of you other Tolkein fans truly happy with these?

Dixmois
02-07-2017, 08:23 PM
I am really, really, reeeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy having trouble with this figure. I really want to get it, I really want to support Asmus and have a LOTR collection. If I buy it, I'm also buying Eowyn so he's not alone. The issue is, I can't decide if I want to spend the money on it. I'm such a stickler about detail, and I'm worried about the sculpts on these figures not looking as accurate as they should.

What do you guys think? I'm a HUGE Tolkein fan and really want to get into this line, but I'm scared to dive into it if I'm not going to be happy. Are any of you other Tolkein fans truly happy with these?
I feel you on this. I was really excited to hear someone was making Thranduil, but I just can get myself to purchase this. The face sculpt doesn't look like Lee and I would have rather had his look from Desolation.
It's great that Asmus makes LOTR/ Hobbit figures, but their sculpts just aren't there imo.

Neko
02-08-2017, 04:11 AM

Hi, I really understand what you mean. I don't post as much as before because I'm disappointed by Asmus 's latest realeases, and I don't want to be the hater here. With them, you never know what you get until the figure is in hand. Gandalf and Saruman were great, Grishnak was awesome (bought these three), but the 4 Hobbits were very disappointing, especially Frodo and Sam. (did'nt bought them) It's frustrating, because the outfits looks gorgeous, and top quality, the paintjob is good, but the headscupts... For me it's the most important point: at least you look at the figure and imediately recognize the character and the actor/actress. Seriously, if you buy a 200 dollars figure it has to look like the character. I was enthusiastic in buying Thranduil, the proto looked good enough for me (not 100% accurate but still very good imo) but I'm disappointed with the final product. I don't post pictures of my figure because it's exactly the same as the ones you seen before on this thread, and I don't want to hate on this. Everybody seems to be happy with it, so it's a good thing and maybe it's just me that have a problem ;) but I really can't see Lee Pace in the sculpt. Worse, the head is obviously narrowed, and do not really fit "human standards". Ok Lee Pace has a oval shape of head, but the figure has a much more stretched head.
And, worse, it means that you may see a perfect sculpt of Legolas, or Boromir, and get a corrupted headsculpt once it's in hand...
Somebody posted this picture on their fb, and for me it tells the whole problem. The proto were not 100%, but it looked good, and well proportionnate. The figure does not.
It's a shame, because the outfit, one more time, is great.
So it's up to you, the pictures you can see here perfectly describe what you will get, no lens distortion or whatever, the photos are very good. Everybody seems to be happy with it, so one more time it's just my opinion and maybe you will be totally satisfied.
For me the question is, should I buy the next figures only in trusting the proto pictures..... :/

Dresky
02-08-2017, 04:24 AM
I bought Thranduil because i'm a LotR/Hobbit book fan. I never liked the other figures proposed by Asmus (except the bad guys who all look awesome) and i was totally aware that the final product would be different than the proto. But in the end, i knew i had to have a representation of Thranduil in my collection.

Does he look like Lee Pace? No.

Does he look like Thranduil? Yes.

Do i feel like i got 200$ worth : Absolutely.

Lord Turel
02-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Our first review with the new higher quality lighting. The new Asmus 1/6 Scale Thranduil figure. After seeing some early shots from collectors this had a me a little worried. Man was I wrong, have a look and see what you think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRO26Lp6Rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRO26Lp6Rg