PDA

View Full Version : Will someone make props again like MR did with the lightsabers hilt in case etc?

sith_lords
09-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Hello all,

This is something that I've wanted for quite some time but these are way too expensive right now to acquire.

Do you all think someone will take the task of doing something like this once again? We have so many SW movies coming in the future that it could be possible. Anyone heard anything in regards to props like this?

Thanks

jkno
09-09-2015, 03:23 AM
MR is no more. EFX got the license and EFX sleeps the long sleep. Your choices so far are:

1. go for the old MR ones (prices are quite high and on some will be higher due to the new SW movies hype, plus some sabers with t-track grips might start having sticky issues)
2. get the very few EFX lightsabers made (again high prices on some)
3. there are a few Icons sabers too - not too accurate, but stil lvery nice
4. go for some Force FX ones (some are very cool, pretty similar and accurate to the props like Vader sabers, others are less accurate like Obi ANH or Luke ROTJ - wide necks)
5. go fan made (Romans, Parks etc.) superb replicas, and in most cases more accurate than MR, Icons or EFX
6. go for the real deal (Graflex, MPP etc. conversions) - the most accurate option
7. maybe someone else will take the TFA license for sabers, we'll see

Mr Walker
09-09-2015, 03:58 AM
See jkno's #5 if you're not fanatical about it being an "official" product.

Fastball Special
09-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Man I miss the days of MR

yeek
09-10-2015, 10:16 AM

Me too, wish I bought more back then.

DarthChrisDK
09-12-2015, 01:31 AM
Yea, I miss MR too. Feel blessed that I got ANH Luke and Solo Blaster, but so much more could have come out that I'd like to see and maybe own.

jkno
09-12-2015, 01:58 AM
It will be easier for any licensed company to make OT lightsabers than blasters now with the new gun laws. The reason why Disney went with b/w toyish and Nerf type blasters in TFA. I have the MR Stormie blaster, but on the lightsaber area I went with a real Graflex conversion

kroenen77
09-12-2015, 09:40 AM
The only MR lightsaber I have is the Vader ROTS LE.
And an Vader FX saber with some real parts that I converted to a ROTJ hero.

If I could go back I would buy all MR LE lightsabers.They are so nice with so nice cases.:)

jkno
09-12-2015, 10:21 AM
The only MR lightsaber I have is the Vader ROTS LE.
And an Vader FX saber with some real parts that I converted to a ROTJ hero.

If I could go back I would buy all MR LE lightsabers.They are so nice with so nice cases.:)

Except the fact that some of the MR ones having grips/t-tracks are starting also to have sticky issues with those grips. It was believed the sticky t-tracks are only happening to Force FX ones, but LE's start having it too. PVC or rubber in the grips is decaying and becoming tacky.

Visedar
09-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Don't mean to disrupt or hijack this thread, but if I may ask, does anyone know how I could obtain a replacement (doesn't have to be original) for the top acrylic part of that display box that's posted by the OP?

jkno
09-13-2015, 12:07 AM
You can try ebay or custom made casesforcollectibles.com (http://www.casesforcollectibles.com).

Visedar
09-13-2015, 06:43 AM
You can try ebay or custom made casesforcollectibles.com (http://www.casesforcollectibles.com).

Much appreciated, thank you!

Jay1138
09-14-2015, 02:31 AM
Hopefully somebody will carry the reins of Master Replicas again. Some collectors will never know how great MR was during it's time. It was really special. I hope that a good company will go to Disney with a solid game plan.

Black Label Society
09-27-2015, 03:51 PM
i had every single MR prop ever made. i sold them all ages ago. i am stunned at the prices. i would have had a Mint on my hands.......:slap

SwiftC
09-27-2015, 09:54 PM
If you're patient with EFX you can get one amazing new prop every six years!

Mandible
09-29-2015, 04:59 AM
If you're patient with EFX you can get one amazing new prop every six years!

:rotfl:clap:lol:lecture

Mandible
09-29-2015, 05:01 AM

We all do... that was a very special time for collecting :(

myc
09-29-2015, 05:29 AM
there is so much fantastic fan made stuff out there... you do not need MR ... just surf "the RPF" boards....

MegaPrime33
09-29-2015, 05:38 AM
There were a few customizers on rebelscum too who did some pretty amazing work. I got a pretty amazing Luke ROTJ saber hilt from this one guy, Oz...something.

jkno
09-29-2015, 06:52 AM
there is so much fantastic fan made stuff out there... you do not need MR ... just surf "the RPF" boards....

:exactly: RPF, FISD (and all other 501st forums), PropDen, TDH, MPPC, all these boards are full of talented artists and customizers who make fantastic props. For example I'm not a lightsaber collector, as you might know already I only collect Original Trilogy Imperials. And still I had to have a real Graflex conversion with Exactra 20 bubbles and accurate t-tracks in my collection as an exception. Never cared to own a Master Replicas, EFX or Icons LE lightsaber, but a Graflex is proudly displayed among my Imperial collectibles. If this doesn't show what is the best type of sabers and props in general out there, not sure what will.

mfoga
09-29-2015, 07:23 AM
How much are those customs going for in comparison to MR stuff.

jkno
09-29-2015, 07:38 AM
How much are those customs going for in comparison to MR stuff.

It all depends on what you are after.

MegaPrime33
09-29-2015, 12:14 PM
I built a Luke ANH using replica parts and the total only cost me around $120. Of course, that was many years ago.

CallMeTheDoctor
09-29-2015, 07:30 PM
I have pretty great condition Master Replica sabers. The Force FX ones, and no one even messaged for one. :lol

Maybe I just don't have the right stuff. :lol

I might try and just go for the entire hilt line up and get cases. Don't have space to add the blade too.

kimsoyens
09-29-2015, 11:25 PM
:exactly: RPF, FISD (and all other 501st forums), PropDen, TDH, MPPC, all these boards are full of talented artists and customizers who make fantastic props. For example I'm not a lightsaber collector, as you might know already I only collect Original Trilogy Imperials. And still I had to have a real Graflex conversion with Exactra 20 bubbles and accurate t-tracks in my collection as an exception. Never cared to own a Master Replicas, EFX or Icons LE lightsaber, but a Graflex is proudly displayed among my Imperial collectibles. If this doesn't show what is the best type of sabers and props in general out there, not sure what will.

Nice, i think that Graflex saber looks nice. does this come with the nameplate and the display base for the saber?
Thanks!

jkno
09-30-2015, 05:44 AM
Nice, i think that Graflex saber looks nice. does this come with the nameplate and the display base for the saber?
Thanks!

The MR/Icons/EFX sabers all come with display bases and plaques. Mine were custom made.

kimsoyens
09-30-2015, 05:36 PM
The MR/Icons/EFX sabers all come with display bases and plaques. Mine were custom made.

meaning, those were also made by parks saber?

jkno
10-01-2015, 12:42 AM
meaning, those were also made by parks saber?

My saber above is not a Parks replica. It is a genuine and original Graflex flash gun with real Exactra 20 bubbles and Roy t-tracks and D-ring.

Marvelito
10-01-2015, 09:42 AM
My saber above is not a Parks replica. It is a genuine and original Graflex flash gun with real Exactra 20 bubbles and Roy t-tracks and D-ring.

Sounds expensive, but it looks very very nice! I'd love to have one of those.

jkno
10-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Sounds expensive, but it looks very very nice! I'd love to have one of those.

Thanks. They are getting more expensive each day. TFA is making crazy prices for Graflex flashguns due to the presence of a genuine Graflex saber in the movie (most likely ESB Luke - with a few minor changes).

MegaPrime33
10-02-2015, 06:04 AM
If there was a clearer shot of the activator then we'd know for sure which movie it was from, ANH or ESB.

jkno
10-02-2015, 08:00 AM
If there was a clearer shot of the activator then we'd know for sure which movie it was from, ANH or ESB.

Considering there were screws/rivets in the handle and the D-ring assembly like on Luke's ESB saber, this is most likely going to be a version of his ESB. With a glass eye though instead of the second button. We'll see soon though.

jkno
10-02-2015, 08:06 AM
A close up of Finn's lightsaber here: Finn Wall Decal Fathead ® Star Wars (http://www.fathead.com/star-wars/star-wars-movies/finn-wall-decal/?src=browse) - shows ESB "activator" with electronic circuits instead of ANH bubbles

MegaPrime33
10-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Yup, the circuits and rivets make it ESB. Good call. It wouldn't have made sense for it to be ANH anyway. I wonder what kind of lightsaber, if any, old man Luke has. Will it be a new iteration of his ROTJ or something else entirely?