Do You Chase A Piece for Sale if the Number is Low?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizerwannabe

An Evil Collector?
Reaction score
I realize a lot of value on limited SS items is perceived. The Grey Hulk is a great piece but if there were 1790 pieces instead of 179 would the prices be even close to current levels? No. Supply and demand, mixed in with little good ole online hype. That makes sense. That said, how much more valuable in your mind is a Luke/Yoda PF numbered 10 than one numbered 110? I see sellers on ebay constantly attaching a BIG premium on a low number. I've bought PF's from some sellers that do not mention the number only to find it is under 50. To me, no big deal. I'd trade number 10 for number 1010 to save a few bucks. Do any of you try to locate a low number in an edition? Would you pay a premium? Just curious.

No I don't. In the end it's just a number. The product is the same. I am not spending more money on a number. That is becoming anal.

I don't care about numbers.

But if I did, I would want the highest one. Having the first means there were still lots made after it. Having the highest means you have the last piece produced, no more were made. (unless the company is Master Replica then there is no point to have a number system)

This is something I've never understood. It's just a number. You don't get anything out of it. Nothing more comes with it. I'd take a high number exclusive addition over a low number regular any day of the week!

EVILFACE said:
I don't care about numbers.

But if I did, I would want the highest one. Having the first means there were still lots made after it. Having the highest means you have the last piece produced, no more were made. (unless the company is Master Replica then there is no point to have a number system)

Not exactly... the bases and figures are made and painted separately, and then the bases may be numbered in any order they are picked up, not necessarily in the order they were made, so you really have no idea in what order the statue you receive was made. You could get the Grey Hulk PF figure numbered 179, but it might have been the 5th one made in production.

As for numbered pieces in general, the numbers don't mean all that much to me, but I love to receive low numbered pieces. Would I pay more for one? No, not unless it was the #1 of the item, and then only because I know I would probably be able to get that back if I ever needed to sell it. As for some eBay sellers charging more for low numbers, it does mean something to some people who are willing to pay more.

I know a lot of people like specific numbers (I won't mention any names here :D) but unless its maybe #1 or whatever the last # is I don't think it matters. In sports cards #'s do play a big part (people want the jersey # or some specific record # the player has) but for figs who cares.

I've never understood the perception of value assigned to an edition number, either. It only makes sense to me if it is a number that has some extra meaning to it (such as Tom's quest for BOBA FETT #42, and the coolness of another board member's GENERAL GRIEVOUS #666). I don't see any difference between, say, #067/1000 and #452/1000. Sure, a number in single digits is kinda cool, but I wouldn't pay a large premium for it.

That being said, I would love to have my KISS PFs sport MATCHING numbers, regardless of the actual digits! :D

I like knowing there is a set number of pieces because I just personally feel like the overall quality is better than if a piece is produced in crazy high quantities. As for the actual number itself, I don't give a rip if it's high or low.

I wouldn't pay more. But if I got a low edition number, I would be happy for some reason.

Certain numbers mean a lot to me personally but don't make me want to chase them any more than say #3378 of whatever edition.

I don't have the money currently to buy any collectibles with edition numbers(i.e. 0900/1000). But if I did, I would just be happy to get one no matter what the number. I have a few collector set DVD's that have those edition numbers, so I think it's pretty cool. But yeah, I wouldn't pay more for a lower edition when I could get number 599 for less.

Having a high number does not bother me but if Sideshow ever stopped numbering their items I would be bummed. Having the number on the bottom on the base makes me feel like I truely have a high dollar peice of art. (I know it is stupid but its true)

I'll never understand why #10 is more valuable than #100 or 1000. Thery're all the the exact same piece.

Low number hype must be some gimmick statue flippers came up with to get gullible people to pay more.

TheObsoleteMan said:
I'll never understand why #10 is more valuable than #100 or 1000. Thery're all the the exact same piece.

Low number hype must be some gimmick statue flippers came up with to get gullible people to pay more.

It's just human nature. We like to be able to brag about our collection, and part of that is being able to say I have so and so number. Part of collecting to a lot of people is sharing what you have and showing it off; hence this board and the "Show Your Shelves" forum...

Back