Does anybody else have issues with the new Star Wars designs??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unclechopchop

Super Freak
Reaction score
With all the pissing and moaning that everybody does about figures, I thought that maybe I could start a thread where people can air out their thoughts on the new designs.
All this being said, I personally have an issue with the new designs. I think they are too Tron-ish or Daft Punkish. I also don't like the fact they're doing stuff like adding current military cues to the stormtroopers. Something just seems off. With the Disney take over, they have already destroyed the cartoon series, and I really really hope they don't do the same with the new movies.
So anybody else on board with me? Or am I the only one that's kinda nervous?

Actually I was more disappointed in the last three films designs than what I see in the new film. I grew up in the 70's and 80's with the OT and this new one looks more like a natural 30 year progression from the OT designs to me.

I think the troops look too puffy personally. Kylo Ren looks cool enough in that generic video game sith sort of way. But the general feel I get is generic sci-fi, which is what you would expect from Disney I suppose.

One thing I just noticed that is really driving me nuts is a lot of these designs are based on old reject concept drawings. It's almost like they just decided to not invest in any thought and utilize what ultimately was once rejected. Tell me this. Why use a design that wasn't what they were looking for then, and then use it now? It was rejected for a reason. I went to school for character design, and I was taught to have reason for every design. Back in the day, they made sure the design had a reason. Not now though. Let's just use old rejected concepts instead of hiring ol chopchop! Haha I'm bitter

With 30 years between trilogies there had to be upgrades. Anyway as a fans we will get the OT stormies in Rogue 1, so best of both worlds really.

Agreed there has to be some upgrades, but that being said, the first three in the series varied around 20 years from the OT. The design didn't differ as much as these new ones have deviated from the last generation.
The new stormtrooper looks kinda intriguing, but I just can't get over that flat chest piece! It literally looks like a kids makeshift stormtrooper Halloween costume. It's just so blah. Who let that one get by?

Last edited:
I think the troops look too puffy personally. Kylo Ren looks cool enough in that generic video game sith sort of way. But the general feel I get is generic sci-fi, which is what you would expect from Disney I suppose.

Kylo lacks personality in the design. Maul is a good example of a great design. Tattooed face, yellow eyes, horns, and expression on his face. Even Vader had some character in his mask. It looked menacing. This new dude looks like a manga ninja. (Watch, when the movie comes out I'll like him..haha)
I think they're going for flash in these movies and not substance as far as design goes.

I have to say so far the nostalgia crutch is working on me with TFA where it hasn't with other recent remakes/reboots. Movie franchise extension as of late is all about giving enough nods to the existing IP to hook in the legacy viewers whilst attempting to shuffle in newer viewers with a proposed "new" experience. Hence you get Nimoy/Quinto, "Open Paddock 9," "I'd buy that for a dollar," etc.

The new Stormies are too fat, the helmets look like motorcycle/Tron helmets adapted for ducks and their blasters are toyish. Still I hope the movie is ok.

The new Stormies are too fat, the helmets look like motorcycle/Tron helmets adapted for ducks and their blasters are toyish. Still I hope the movie is ok.

I personally don't like the absence of any chest definition on the chest plate, and the free floating knee pads. Plus the belt looks kinda wonky.

Actually I was more disappointed in the last three films designs than what I see in the new film. I grew up in the 70's and 80's with the OT and this new one looks more like a natural 30 year progression from the OT designs to me.

I totally agree, although I'm a lot younger I feel the designs follow a natural progression. They feel and look good.

I personally don't like the absence of any chest definition on the chest plate, and the free floating knee pads. Plus the belt looks kinda wonky.

I totally agree, especially with @Unclechopchop! Also, Clones' both Phase I & II armors, just like the Stormtrooper armors, didn't have the flat-chest syndrome, as the TFA stormies do. And as for the "free floating knee pads (as @Unclechopchop put it,) I have issue with that too. The entire new Stormtrooper armor looks too slick and toy like already, why they did that with the kneee pads, I don't understand. Look at the Flametrooper pic below, why couldn't they apply the same design treatment to the Stormtrooper? That looks amazing, and pays homage to OT's, IMHO.

468px-Flametrooper.jpg

I like all the new designs for the exception of the snow and flame troopers.

I feel the exact opposite. I really like the Flame and Snow ones, because I can feel the continuity from the OT into the TFA; not so much with the Stormtrooper.

Last edited:
I totally agree, especially with @Unclechopchop! Also, Clones' both Phase I & II armors, just like the Stormtrooper armors, didn't have the flat-chest syndrome, as the TFA stormies do. And as for the "free floating knee pads (as @Unclechopchop put it,) I have issued with that too. The entire new Stormtrooper armor looks too slick and toy like already, why they did that with the kneee pads, I don't understand. Look at the Flametrooper pic below, why couldn't they apply the same design treatment to the Stormtrooper? That looks amazing, and pays homage to OT's, IMHO.

View attachment 208219

I feel the exact opposite. I really like the Flame and Snow ones, because I can feel the continuity from the OT into the TFA; not so much with the Stormtrooper.

The Disney, Apple trooper

One thing I just noticed that is really driving me nuts is a lot of these designs are based on old reject concept drawings. It's almost like they just decided to not invest in any thought and utilize what ultimately was once rejected. Tell me this. Why use a design that wasn't what they were looking for then, and then use it now? It was rejected for a reason. I went to school for character design, and I was taught to have reason for every design. Back in the day, they made sure the design had a reason. Not now though. Let's just use old rejected concepts instead of hiring ol chopchop! Haha I'm bitter

They aren't reject drawings, when they created the real versions they interpreted them to build the real things. It's inspiration, not a blueprint.

I like the designs, but I think Finn and Rey suffer a bit from not having much of an interesting costume

The entire design is reminiscent of the Kia Soul, especially when viewed from the rear.

I'm surprised by the negativity here. I've heard nothing but positive responses from people I've talked with about it. And personally I love all the new designs. Especially the basic stormtrooper.

I'm surprised by the negativity here. I've heard nothing but positive responses from people I've talked with about it. And personally I love all the new designs. Especially the basic stormtrooper.

That's because we are all afraid of being called a hater, but the Force Friday Force Feed has some folks reaching their limits ;)

They aren't reject drawings, when they created the real versions they interpreted them to build the real things. It's inspiration, not a blueprint.

I like the designs, but I think Finn and Rey suffer a bit from not having much of an interesting costume
The designs that they did not choose are in fact rejected. As in they didn't use the design and went with another. I've seen many early renditions being hashed out into models and they didn't look right, therefore they rejected them and went with something else.....thank god

Back