Netflix's Narcos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidewinder

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone else start watching this 10 episode first season based on Colombian Druglord Pablo Escobar?

I knew very little of the history of Escobar, so it's been a very intriguing series. Makes Walter White look tame by comparison and that wasn't even a real person.

Highly recommend the series. I burned through all 10 episodes within 2 days.

I started watching it last night. I've only watched one episode so far but I highly enjoyed it. It's a great crime drama and a good history lesson. Will be continuing with it tonight.

Enjoy the rest of the episodes. Another outstanding series from Netflix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoyed the first two episodes but left it during the third when they started to talk A LOT about the cat's demise. It is good and well produced but the narrator gets a bit annoying, maybe I'll give it another chance soon.

If Mr. Robot hadn't come in and utterly blown my mind this summer, I'd say that Narcos would be my favorite new series of the year. I've seen seven episodes of Narcos and I've loved every damn minute so far. Just an all around great piece of television with so much potent storytelling and history behind it. Just great.

Every poster I see for this series, I'm like "holy ****. Pablo Escobar looks like a fatter, derpy Henry Cavill:"

narcos0003.jpg

As a Spanish speaker, it blows my mind as to why they hired a Brazilian to play Escobar. He's all right, but he was know for his very deep Colombian accent, and the Brazilian actor sometimes has a really hard time saying stuff. That accent kills it a bit for me.

I know that it's not a deal breaker to most, as probably most of the viewers aren't familiar with that anyway.

I guess if you can imagine Superman with a Mexican accent, then you'd be able to understand where I come from. This is in no way a racist comment, or in no way I'm comparing Escobar with Supes.

Yeah, it has no impact on my viewing experience, at all (the only thing I could make out without subtitles was that the beginning of the show's theme song starts with "I am the fire..." I think.:lol). Suffice it to say, I totally get where you're coming from. Kind of like how I wouldn't want the lead in Fargo to sound like he was from Boston, or a dude in The Departed sounding like he's from New York.:lol

As a non-Spanish speaker, though, I thought it was great, though I am curious why they'd pick someone who looked nothing like Escobar to play him, if he was only "just okay" as a performer, though I'd bet it has something to do with the fact that he was in José Padilha's Elite Squad films. As someone purely relying on the subtitles and the body language, though, I thought he did a good job portraying a character. Whether or not it was authentic to Escobar, though, is another thing. I like Murphy and Peña a lot, but I have to say that Carrillo stole the show, when it comes to the good guys. It was also very surprising to me to see Luis Guzmán in, not only a non-English speaking role, but also something completely dramatic, in its nature, so, that was kind of like a double shot of something I'd never seen before.:lol

Overall, though, I felt it was a great addition to the Netflix family of original content. It's amazing that their shows are so consistently good, while the quality of the movies they showcase is so hot and miss. I know there have been a few duds, but, overall, I'd say they have a pretty solid track record.

As a Spanish speaker, it blows my mind as to why they hired a Brazilian to play Escobar. He's all right, but he was know for his very deep Colombian accent, and the Brazilian actor sometimes has a really hard time saying stuff. That accent kills it a bit for me.

I know that it's not a deal breaker to most, as probably most of the viewers aren't familiar with that anyway.

I guess if you can imagine Superman with a Mexican accent, then you'd be able to understand where I come from. This is in no way a racist comment, or in no way I'm comparing Escobar with Supes.

The Spanish soap opera had the best actor. the Colombian Novela had the best guy to play him, sounded and looked just like him

The Spanish soap opera had the best actor. the Colombian Novela had the best guy to play him, sounded and looked just like him

He was great, but it's a novela, therefore it sucks. Lol.

Colombian women in said novela, though....

finally was able to see this, it was really really good. I love how they did not hold back the brutality of the real events, i loved how they filmed on location.
Like someone else said, this makes breaking bad look tame.
the accents are way off and feels weird, but the guy said he learned spanish in 6 months so thats pretty incredible in its own right.

Hadn't heard about this possible setback for the season 2 release yet. I don't know if brother Escobar has a legitimate claim as his brother's "license holder" or he's just looking for a paycheck. Sounds a bit like Dr. Evil asking for a billion dollars though. Ridiculous!

https://www.christiantoday.com/arti...show.might.get.delayed.or.cancelled/90719.htm

Roberto Escobar, the brother of the late Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar, is asking Netflix for $1 billion for the show "Narcos."

The elder Escobar said that Netflix should pay for the use of his brother's name, story and likeness. He registered "successor-in-interest rights" over this at a company called Escobar Inc.

Escobar also wants to review the content of "Narcos" season 2, which features the death of Wagner Moura's Pablo, to know if the portrayal is accurate.

"It is depicting me, my life, my family and my brother," Escobar stated on the letter. "I think nobody else in the world is alive to determine the validity of the materials, but me," he continued.

Escobar Inc. revealed that they have tried contacting Netflix to raise their concern regarding the rights on the story, but CEO Olof K. Gustafsson said that the streaming giant did not respond.

"I think it is important that they recognize Roberto Escobar's wishes to review the show they are putting out, ensuring the family and viewers of an accurate portrayal of Pablo and Roberto," he said.

Speaking to Newsweek, Escobar said that he hopes Netflix will acknowledge him as a license holder and be compensated by the company.

"The best way that it can be improved is for Netflix to get real—recognize me since I have been a leader of the Medellin cartel. Once they recognize me, I may offer my services to edit the entire second season," Escobar said.

He added that "Narcos" season 2 may not be released this September as promised if Netflix does not listen to him.

"I will be sure to be heard. Not only will my voice be heard, I will be compensated fairly," he continued.

Whether or not "Narcos" season 2 will drop on Sept. 2 as Netflix set it remains to be seen.

TMZ has posted the letter that Escobar wrote and it isn't asking for any billion dollar payment. Seems like the above linked site has puffed up the story a bit.

Back