It's a sad day for Warners and Paradise Island!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It definitely peaks my curiousity especially since I've always appreciated Joss' interesting and hip takes on his projects I'd think that WB would snap up anything he put out there...Its also interesting that he admits to having no forerunner when many sites pretty much casted either Morena Baccarin or Charisma Carpenter...

...I have great fear that Wonder Woman may turn out to look like Halle Berry's Catwoman part deux....

I've read scripts from this project that have been BEYOND horrible. It's been in development for nearly 15 years.

It's rather ironic that Silver saw a different movie than Joss. He's always depicted as an *******, but Silver also is responsible for Veronica Mars getting made, so apparently he knows strong female characters.

Cobie Smulders of How I Met Your Mother fame? What IS the connection between Whedon and that show -- and how far does it go??

Well that just plain sucks, I didnt think this movie would ever get made at the rate they were going. And it also looks like they wont make it any time soon, oh well too bad.

No lost in my eyes. I can't see how a Wonder Woman would translate well onto the bigscreen, visual astethics aside. Joss Whedon never had a chance with this. He deserves better. This is probably for the best.

Well, with Whedon, they would've probably had a cult movie, which is what he has delivered so far, and I can understand why they would say no to that, a script written by our guy. Ok, so now that he's somewhat free, what about that anticipated Buffyverse tv movie? A spin-off? Resucitate the "Ripper" project? I can dream, can't I?

This is too bad. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do. Wonder Woman is a great character, and I think a lot of people associate her with the cheesy 70's series (I do love Lynda Carter).

Grrr argh... database connection failed.

We seem to be having some database problems due to an increase in the number of visitors. You might get this message every now and then. Try again a little later.

Visit the status thread at whedonesque.org

This is good news from what I hear at Silver Pics and WB.

Here's what happened: two unknown screenwriters wrote a spec draft and got it into Silver's hands. It was far better than Joss' take which was going nowhere... Silver bought their script and commissioned a rewrite. What I like most about their new script is that it takes place during WW2... more to come.

pjam said:
What I like most about their new script is that it takes place during WW2... more to come.
Now that idea I really like.

And I'll want a HT Wonder Woman!

This is too bad for Joss Whedon. A project like this could have moved him from relatively obscure cult favorite to widespread mainstream success. He has the talent to one day become a recognized household name, but dropping out of a project like this will not make that day get here any faster.

I agree completely Tom. I'd love to see Joss become an A-List director like the "one of us" directors Sam Raimi and PJ.

Yes, those two "average guys" know how to make a story their own and tell it in a unique way while dealing with the compromises and challenges of a studio system. Their films remain highly personal works with their own stamp upon them, and boy am I glad that when PJ and New Line had their disagreements, PJ didn't just say, "Well, that's not the story I want to tell" and walk off the project. Raimi had no love for Venom but the producers talked him into it, and Spider-Man 3 will not likely be any worse for that bit of "studio tampering."

I admire an artist with integrity and purity of vision, but if you can't make adjustments and roll with the punches then you are ultimately being selfish and denying the audience the opportunity to see your work. I would have preferred a Wonder Woman that was 80% his vision and 20% studio input, guided and shepherded and shaped by his hand and imagination. Now Joss will keep the 100% version in his head and there it shall stay. But you are not a great storyteller until your story is out there for an audience to experience, and sometimes you have to allow your vision to flex and change. Spielberg and Lucas were completely frustrated with how Jaws and Star Wars were not going to reflect the vision they had in their heads, but they allowed a basically compromised version of their idealized films to be released in theaters. And boy am I glad they did! Whedon might have his integrity, but he'll have no movie (and therefore no audience) if he isn't willing to guide his vision through the expected growing pains and adjustments.

Now, it is entirely likely that the studio heads were giving him demands like, "Give Wonder Woman a really cute dancing penguin for a friend. Kids are into penguins these days." There comes a point where an artist becomes a prostitute, and you need to maintain that balance.

It's just a let down to see his name taken off a high profile project. The guy deserves some mainstream success.

I think M. Night Shyamalan is a good example of someone not willing to listen to anyone else's ideas but his own. He really botched things with Lady in the Water. And I read somewhere that he now has the "trouble" label slapped on him and is having a hard time shopping his new movie to studios.

He's made some great movies, it'd be a shame if he fell into obscurity.

Batty said:
I think M. Night Shyamalan is a good example of someone not willing to listen to anyone else's ideas but his own. He really botched things with Lady in the Water. And I read somewhere that he now has the "trouble" label slapped on him and is having a hard time shopping his new movie to studios.

He's made some great movies, it'd be a shame if he fell into obscurity.
Didn't he supposedly freak out when someone at Disney didn't like his script for Lady in the Water?

Bannister said:
Didn't he supposedly freak out when someone at Disney didn't like his script for Lady in the Water?
Yeah, and he refused to listen to any suggestions about changing it. I think he pretty much burned that bridge.

Filmmaking is a team effort and a collaborative art. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs a good ego check now and then. M. Night shot himself in the foot.

And Warner Bros paid the price for M.'s self-mutilation.

But I doubt that Joss wasn't willing to compromise - I'd imagine his Wonder Woman was a metatextual post modern comedic take on the character and Silver/WB was looking for something more traditional. Diana isn't like Kal or Bruce where everyone knows the basics and then you can just riff off of those basics and create something special, ala Smallville or Batman Begins. She has to be explained from the ground up and if you can't do that for a modern audience they won't buy the character.

Now that he is off Wonder Woman, I wish someone from Fox had the brains to give Joss a call and have him mop up the mess Ratner made with X-Men III.

X-MEN IV Written and Directed by Joss Whedon... it has a nice sound to it. :D

Back