Question for the Whedonites: Definitive Buffy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Hello all, I was a fan of BTVS for a while and used to watch it religiously before it left the WB and wanted at least one set up of the Scoobies on my shelf, while this only one Cordy and one Giles for example there are multiple Buffys, which Buffy is the definitive Buffy to have in line with the rest?

Graduation Day Buffy (red jacket, black pants) is the best. Vamp Buffy is the second best IMO, but not exactly definitive.

Agreed. Graduation Day Buffy. The other Buffys are excellent as well (especially Vamp Buffy, as theObsoleteMan pointed out), but the perfect center-piece for the 1:6 line is GD Buffy.

I'd have to agree with the GD buffy sentiments, but I prefer the City of Angel from the Angel line over the original version SS offered if you are looking to include Angle and Spike. The scoobies all look really nice together, though!

Yes, "City of..." is an improvement over "Becoming" Angel. If I had to choose between one of them, it would definitely be CoA Angel. You don't have much of a choice with the rest of the scoobies, except Spike. While we wait for an "Angel the Series" Spike (which I'm hopeful it'll eventually happen), the first human Spike is the best choice (and the most expensive as well, of course).

The definitive Buffy does not yet exist. The PF Buffy is the best Buffy available, but it has significant flaws. Every collectible has flaws, of course, but none of the Buffy figures are without serious ones.

Just my (strongly stated) opinion...

BillyBudd said:
The definitive Buffy does not yet exist. The PF Buffy is the best Buffy available, but it has significant flaws. Every collectible has flaws, of course, but none of the Buffy figures are without serious ones.

I can think of at least 5 Buffy figures that I consider flawless: Human Spike, Vamp Buffy, Lorne, Origins Angel, Der Kindestod. The rest are all great to me except for 3 or 4 (PG Buffy, Willow, Faith and Subway Spike).

olvidadero said:
I can think of at least 5 Buffy figures that I consider flawless: Human Spike, Vamp Buffy, Lorne, Origins Angel, Der Kindestod. The rest are all great to me except for 3 or 4 (PG Buffy, Willow, Faith and Subway Spike).

Vamp Buffy is great, but it doesn't make much sense to label that figure the definitive Buffy. Buffy only appeared as a vampire in one episode, and it wasn't even a significant one.

To be honest (and this is just my personal opinion), I have trouble labeling any 12-inch figure the definitive version of a character. The vast majority of 12-inch figures do not look natural when posed. Also, the bodies are generic. I don't think Sideshow even intends for a 12-inch figure to be the definitive version of any character. That isn't to say that many of Sideshow's Buffy figures aren't the best versions available of the characters. I agree that several of the 12-inch figures are great figures, and you won't find a superior version of the character in the market. That doesn't make them definitive though.

Oh, I didn't know we could pick figures other than Buffy the character. I just read the title and pretty much attacked the best Buffy, which is the Buffy PF. No others come close in terms of accuracy to SMG's looks.

Then if that is the route we're going I have to say either 1st ever released 6" Spike under MAC, SideShow's 12" Spike, or the PF Spike. Pretty much seems to be all Spikes across the boards. Suppose his cheek bones and jaw line make it easy to capture his likeness. Not a delicate face like Buffy's, Cordy's, or Faith's.

BillyBudd said:
The definitive Buffy does not yet exist. The PF Buffy is the best Buffy available, but it has significant flaws. Every collectible has flaws, of course, but none of the Buffy figuresare without serious ones.

I think olvidadero misinterpreted my comment. I was talking about figures of the character Buffy.

BillyBudd said:
I think olvidadero misinterpreted my comment. I was talking about figures of the character Buffy.

Yeah, I definitely understood your comment the wrong way. I thought you were talking about the license in general, sorry. Regarding Buffy, I agree, Vamp Buffy is not an iconic or definitive version of the character (I never said that any way). PG Buffy's not definitive either, and it's one of the worst figures, not only of Buffy, but in the whole line. Hush Buffy is simple, and generic, and should work to represent the character in a collection, but it's not definitive either. As I said above, I think GD Buffy is the best way to go, unless a Chosen Buffy is announced soon, in that case, I would wait, because that would be THE definitive Buffy, in my humble opinion.

I have 3 big buffs, The one that came with the gentlemen.. so-so
the GD Buff- much better and the PF Buff which I LOVE. Seems to get better!

:)

Graduation Day Buffy is the best figure. It doesnt suffer from exposed arms and is executed the best of all the Buffy 12"ers. I dont think the PF can be put in the same category for Definitive Buffy. Theyre two completely different monsters for different target audiences. But if you did, then PF Buffy is definately better, hence the extra $$$ attached.
Since Im moving out of the 12" line I do have afew Buffy figures up for sale including Graduation Day Buffy and Xander if anyones interested.

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14550

Last edited:
The GD Buffy for some reason was put on a taller body... she is taller than PG Buffy and Vamp Buffy. Just swap it with a Cordy and BOTH figures will be good to go. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

I know that the PG Buffy gets knocked around, but as time passes, I like her more and more. Especially since I got the exclusive one with the leather coat... so those pesky exposed joints aren't an issue.

But I agree... an another Buffy would be welcome. :D

The best Buffy Summers: Graduation Day Buffy.
The best Sideshow Buffy the Vampire Slayer figure: The first Spike.
Best Sideshow figure between the Angel and Buffy shows: City Of Angel
Runners up: Der Kindestod, Oz, The Master, Vamp Buffy etc.

Hmmmm...thanks for all the comments. Looks like GD Buffy is the way to go but someone mentioned hopes for a Chosen Buffy, does anyone think that the BTVS is still a viable license right now for 12"? I figured they moved towards Angel and would be focusing the attention there...

I think the line is as popular as ever, however, a certain juggernaut from a galaxy far, far away has swept up a large part of collectors collecting dollars, thereby resulting in slower sales for the other licenses.
There's a bit of a feeling of neglect, but I would rather wait for quality. They'll get back to it. I don't get the feeling that SSC has the need to sell out everything immediately.

Back