Need help and ideas to display my collection...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terras Jadeonar

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm at wits end here, trying to figure out what to do.

I previously had several JYSK Savana (Ikea Detolf) display cases for 7yrs and sold them - I got really annoyed with how fast dust collected in them. They were in a spare bedroom upstairs.

Now, after a nerve-wracking year long mostly whole house reno, I want to add in some display cases / cabinets / shelving of some sort...

I really like what Cartman557 did with his DIY BEAST In-Wall Shelf Project

I do have photos,
2015-08-09 23.31.19.jpg2015-08-09 23.32.48.jpg

And below, some 3d renders:
Original Space
Doc1.jpgDoc1a.jpg

Idea 1
Doc2.jpgDoc2a.jpg

Idea 2
Doc3.jpgDoc3a.jpg

Idea 3
Doc6.jpgDoc6a.jpg

Idea 4 (creative but not practical)
Doc5.jpgDoc5a.jpg

Larger versions of pics at Photobucket Album

Well, those are some ideas ...

Not sure what there is available for the glass doors, or some windowframe type insulation to use to help make a seal... And be the doors on hinges or sliding...

For Idea 1 & 2 , my contractor was saying to look at Ikea, for the metal shelf rods with notches to hold the glass shelves. I looked on the entire site, only found IVAS pine-wood frames that are notched...

Idea 3 is kinda borrowing a few design notes from Cartman's DIY basement project making use of 2x4 framing and drywall, with the inclusion of glass panel doors shown with and without. Although There's the back corner where there's some wasted space.

Last resort I guess might be going to that Action Figure Authority site, and order some custom acrylic cases, and use the wall brackets system with glass shelving...

If the measurements are needed for that space, I could provide those. And yeah, that little "nook" I'm regretting have put in - was going to be for my home networking area - modem, 24port switch, UPS, Nas Box, Bluray player, receiver (for the tv and speakers as well as computer hdmi hookup) , unfortunately the previous contractor wasn't tech savy and goofed up with the cables. I might have to redo that wall make it look more proper / neater and get the cut-outs moved lower down the wall. Else move that center below the tv...

I could really use some help here...

:edit(s):
Sorry for the multiple edits, just trying to organize the uploads...

Also can the mods move this thread to the sub forum? Had to login a few times trying to upload the images, the login would timeout and I'd have to login again, and start a new thread over again. Somehow I jumped out of the subforum along the way without realizing it.

Last edited:
3 looks great, seems like you can display lots and it's not in your face when your in the room watching TV or at the desk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 seems more flexible, and i think it will make the space feel less cramped.

I think idea 2 is cooler in theory than it would be in person.

Thanks everyone sofar,

This is why I'm asking you guys for your opinions - What you think would look / work good.

My area of expertise is building/assembling/upgrading computers and using 3d modeling & rendering software. I'm not good with power tools (skill saws / table saws, etc) aside from a corded/cordless variable speed reversible 5amp drill. If its book cases / desks / furniture stuff thats pre-fabbed, I can assemble it with same efficiency as I do with computer components. If I model / and design something, then supply measurements of the parts and materials I have someone that can make, even pre-assemble those items. That long/large computer desk you see there was one such custom 3d modeled first then built to spec.

Idea 2 might also have worked if it was just the wall cabinets, removing the narrower one from bulkhead... Still, it means finding some way of having one of the wall panels accessable as a door either on hinges or sliding track and still keep the aesthetics and integrate some way of moderately dust-free. Out of curiosity today, I went to my natural gas fireplace dealer, showed him the designs. He said while Idea 2 would be ok for proximity to the fireplace, the cabinet interior if fully enclosed might get a bit warm (not hot)... Its something I hadn't quite considered. Given how much 12" and premium format Hot Toys (and others) cost, heat isn't something I'd feel comfortable to exposing them to.

I'm also pondering an alternative "Idea 3" , as I have access to 1.25" laminated MDF (choice of pattern) , same material and guy and company as my computer desk was made from entirely. I'd also benefit from some space saving with the middle shelf being 1.25" versus 6" thickness. This also opens up a few more design ideas I'll post when I finish them (one of them being vertical length doors and no middle mdf shelf).

For the glass panels - its window pane grade glass with choice of 2 types:
- Right Side - 6mil free floating glass (cheaper, has that slightly greenish tint)
- Left Side - 6 meal starphire glass (slightly pricier, crystal clear no tint)
132.jpg

Question is - would this also suffice for using as shelves or how thick would I need the glass to support (mostly) Hot Toys collectables? Shelf lengths would be about 32" each with possibly 2 or 3 metal adjustable arm brackets.

I'm waiting to hear back from he guy / company that does the glass and laminated mdf , to find out what width and thickness the door framing needs to be to support a glass window panel. I have choice of regular 6mil free floating glass panels (the dlightly greenish tint) or 6 meal starphire glass (crystal clear, no tint), unless I need thicker for the shelves.

Stay tuned!

Back