$100 darth vader???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

darth kered

i saw this over at sir steves forums......

Talked to SS at the SDCC as well and they told me the price point will be anywhere from 40 to 100. $40 would be like Han Solo and Vader would fetch $100.

i know it's early,as sideshow is still trying to get everything worked out, but if this is true,... $100 for a sideshow vader would be B.S. :bang $60 would be reasonable if he looked like a 1/6th version of the 1/4th vader.

i know this figure would cost a little more to make, but it shouldn't be more than double a normal figure. other than the shoulderpads, what extra would he have that would require such a price increase?

it's not like sideshow has never made figures with gloves, boots, a cape and a helmet before.:p

$40? I haven't seen a figure from them for under $45 is a loooong time. But I agree that $100 is pushing it way out there.

First, I figure you have to take a lot of this reports with a grain of salt until an official announcement is made from SS and products actually go up for preorder.

Second, if that price estimate is accurate it may be like a deluxe type figure incorporating electronics or a very detailed sculpt similar to medicom's or such that would drive the cost up. You never know. :dunno

it may be like a deluxe type figure incorporating electronics or a very detailed sculpt similar to medicom's or such that would drive the cost up. You never know

figures with electronics(scarface) and removable helmets(Kroenen) are nothing new to sideshow.

sure, this price info may not be accurate, but still i see no reason why vader wouldn't be in their normal price range.

i don't think we should have to pay extra for a sculpt that is "very detailed". that is what we're supposed to get.

now maybe if the helmet, shoulder pads and shin guards were fiberglass, the suit, cod piece and gloves were real leather, and the cape was wool, i would understand.
:bonk

$100 for Vader? that is pushing it, especially if Sideshow wants the line to take off. I can't imagine how much they would ask for a Boba Fett, Stormtrooper or a Clone Trooper which are more elaborate and complicated then Vader.
If the Clone/Storm Troopers are going to be in the $100 price range, it'll be a huge mistake for Sideshow. one of the reasons we wanted Sideshow to get the license was so we could have affordable high quality figures, at $100 and up, they're no better then Marmet/ Medicom figures. But like Oxbeard said, this is only speculation at this point, but if it turns out to be true, It's a HUGE mistake!

I hadn't heard "$100" mentioned, but if that's what it takes to get a quality Vader it sure beats $200-300 for Medicom's...

But I'd compare it to Thunderball Bond more than anything else. That required a lot of new tooling and it was only $65. So I'd guess that as a top price for Vader unless he did light up.

Re

If SS is expecting us to pay near $100 for some of the 1/6 Star Wars figures, I'll just stick to the 1/4.

Re: Re

Seems to compare well to the Marmit figures.

Do it right and I'll be fine. I'd like resin head and no mistakes ala Willow. Not to beat a dead horse on Willow, but she's the only mistake I own ;)

Just because some people pay a lot for Marmits, I hope SS doesn't think "well $60 - $100 is a DEAL then" because it's NOT. Hasbro sold them for $20, so I think SS should NOT be over $40. The design process, raw materials and production costs should not be more than double. Keep in mind that SS has WAY less overhead than Hasbro, and that SS is selling a lot of them direct or to retailers that don't get the low wholesale prices like TRU, Target, etc. And there's less distributors to pay, etc.

SO, I think anything more is just charging that because they know Star Wars fans will pay more than they actually should.

In the end, I know SS will really squeeze as much as they can out of fans. They've been doing that a lot lately, and I've been buying less and less...

Comparing what SSC is doing to Hasbro isn't very accurate. Hasbro was mass-marketing TOYS and shipping 10's of thousands. What Sideshow is doing is more like the Marmit and Medicom and with the increase in quality will come the increase in price.

As I've said in other threads - they don't pull the prices out of a hat and $40 is not going to happen. If it did, I'd worry that they weren't making them as well as they could.

So the ones SS is making aren't toys?

Who knows what they're going to price them at, but anything over $40 is a rip-off. I wouldn't say the quality is much better than Hasbro, but the design and execution will be. That doesn't cost more money.

Dragon's newest 12" figures are a much better quality and finish than any of SS's (they use metal, brass, real leather, etc. now), and they cost around $40. Keep in mind these figures sometimes come with 30 plus accessories now. And they do runs well under 5k a figure. Granted, they don't have to pay a Lucasfilm licensing fee, but I'm sure producing 10k plus of a figure will cover that fee and then some.

So anything over $40 for a Luke, Han, Jedi, etc. is a rip-off.

This is what I expect for 60+ dollars. Figure comes with socks, underwear, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and every other thing imaginable.

www.dragonmodelsltd.com/h...94-p2.html

As usual wonderboy we'll have to agree to disagree. The way I understand the Hasbro/SS agreement is the SS will produce higher end collectable 12" figures not mass-market toys. As such the ES will be lower with the expected slightly higher ES on figures like Vader. I am very curious how you can compair SS 12" figures to Hasbro's current offering, imho there is no comparison. Keep in mind to that SS keeps raising the bar on quality and we don't even have any protoypes yet of the SW to be making accurate comparisons too.

It all boils down to two simple facts. First, as I said before the $100 pricepoint is at this point only a rumor and I definitely wouldn't get my shorts in a wad over it. Second, if you aren't willing to pay more than $40 then that will leave more figures for collectors who are willing to pay for quality. I know I will be getting my orders in as soon as they are available.

It was mentioned in SDCC chat they were hoping to keep prices comparable to their existing 12" lines.

Everyone keeps complaining about Sideshow's rising prices, but what about the rising quality? Sideshow is blowing EVERY other company out of the water right now with their products.

Look at the recent Dr. Doom, Predator, and Obi-Wan sculpts as evidence of this. I would much rather have high quality at the expense of quantity. I mean, Sideshow convinced me to drop $1,000 on a character that I'm not a huge fan of (Predator) due to the amazing quality of the piece. Complaining about a possible $65 figure seems silly, IMO, when the quality will likely be better than anything else yet produced.

I hope Sideshow continues to strive for the high quality products they have been producing lately, even at the expense of higher prices. It's well worth it to this collector.

Also it should be pointed out that new Dragon figures now average $50 or more and they reuse all sorts of things. You're lucky to get one newly sculpted or new pattern item in each set. Besides the standard body there isn't near as much reuse in Sideshow pieces and Star Wars probably won't afford them that opportunity either.

At this time, there is no official information on pricing for the 12 inch Star Wars figures.

For me, I'd be REALLY surprised if these figures were going to cost anywhere close to $100.

And if the Vader is $100 - I'll dress up like...err...nevermind.
:arwen

$100 or not...just make a whole LOT OF THEM!!!!

We have been so starved for decent 12" figs from Hasbro for so long! It'll be nice to have a nice inexpensive representation of our favorite characters!

Now make some LOTR 12" er's too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back