removing battle damage from t800 life size statue Sideshow V2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safire25

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just bought the sideshow t800 life size endo V2. I have seen previously in this forum people that have used non acetone nail polish remover to clean the battle damage to bring the polished chrome look back.

Has anyone attempted this with the V2's? I only ask cause the weathering looks quite heavy and I'm not sure if there is even shiny chrome underneath at all? looks like it has more of a silver paint with some weathering details etc

Any help would be appreciated before I try a bit in a small spot you cant see

Thanks

My v2 lifesize I bought second hand and the previous owner had done it. It's fully chromed. He left some of the black paint in the joints and the inside of the arms etc which actually looks good that way. Fully removing the paint from the whole thing wouldn't look right I think.

excellent! thats what i was hoping to hear. Its just so dull i wasnt sure if there was chrome underneath at all!!
Would you mind taking some pics and sharing here so I can look at how it came out?

would really appreciate it

Look forward to you're pics. I would of been all over this item if it wasn't for the lean. How is yours holding up by the way?

Be very carefull with the nail polish remover.I cleaned a HCG endoarm with this stuff and it destroyed some chromed areas under the weathering!

22672116pk.jpg

11696018_10153458846266505_6232126436756900082_n.jpgI am not seeing any issues with lean. Stands up quite well

Kroenen did you use the non acetone nail polish?

ok so I tried a very small section with nail polish remover with no acetone and no matter how hard I scrubbed with soft pads I cant seem to get any of the weathering off. I looked at the bottle and it said "mild formula" so Im hoping that's why. hmmmm

Still hard to imagine chrome under all this dull paint

20150729_215812.jpg

Well I'm having the opposite problem with the finish on the V2 statue. Tried three different types of nail polish removers (all non acetone) and can remove hardly any of the weathering paint effects no matter how long and hard I scrub

It must be a different paint than the V1 and the combat busts. I will be interested to see the pics from INFECDEAD to see how it turned out cause the guy who did this before he bought his secondhand must have used something else

Sorry I can't help you out with how to remove it, but here's a couple of pics to show it can be done and some of the areas better left black

Wow this is really a V2?

might have to research more how to do this then as the standard non acetone nail polisher remover with pads isn't cutting it

Would you mind taking one pic showing the entire statue?

Looks great!

Thanks for posting these pics!

OK good to know there is shiny chrome under all of this silver matt paint! I will persist!

I read somewhere for a bust someone used nail polish remover with acetone and it did no harm to the chrome

the V2 paint weathering seems different to the black paint speckles on the V1 and busts so maybe ill try a tiny little bit on the back somewhere and see if this removes the paint without affecting the chrome

Anyone else tried acetone? I know everywhere else I read it says to only use acetone free but I just cant get this clean with acetone free nail polish remover

Hi Safire25

From your image of the paint on your V2 Endo, it seems to have a different finish to the early editions.

It was difficult obtaining perfect chrome results to both the V1 versions (Chrome & Combat) so i'd be
surprised if sideshow continued with chrome on the V2's, especially if they were to add that silver effect over it.

Just to double check, you should be using ACETONE FREE NAIL VARNISH REMOVER Liquid or Pads.
Should take seconds to remove the paint and not harm the chrome, however this was on a Combat V1 Endo.
Result should be mirror finish chrome, not matt silver.

If the liquid is NOT removing the paint on your endo, then it must be a new paint formula to that used on the V1's.

Wish you luck mate and hope chrome comes into view soon!
Let us know how you get on :)

ALIEN

P.S
The statue owned by INFECDEAD could be an early V2 edition, having parts from the V1's, hence why it was chrome under the paint. Later editions of the V2's do look silver matt to me, maybe because they stopped using the expensive chrome process? Why chrome it if it's going to be painted?

I think there is a little confusion here. Chrome or chromium is a metal plated over other metals (usually nickel) that is polished to look bright and shiny. Acetone is a solvent and would have no effect on actual chrome. I honestly don't think these are actually chrome plated as that would be pretty expensive just to fully paint over it with dull silver, but you never know.

Rather, I think it is a chrome metallic paint or powder coat with weathering. As with most paints it probably has a top coat or lacquer applied and the same goes for powder coats. These are designed to be tough and durable and need to be abraided away which is probably why your efforts are not working. If your brave enough, buy some simple car polish and try rubbing a spot. If the pad comes away with paint on it then it is just a single stage paint and will remove much easier. If no paint, then it is clear coated with something and is going to be a chore. Once the overcoat is removed any type of solvent or nail polish remover will break down the paint and eventually remove it.

I'd be pretty careful because if it isn't real chrome than you could cut through the shiny paint too just like what happened to the HGC arm. That's an awfully expensive and nice looking replica to be rubbing on. I would contact Sideshow and find out exactly what is underneath the weathering you don't like before trying anything else. Once you know that, then you can plan your attack.

Hmmm Might have to experiment on the extra v2 chest piece I have someday.
I have 2 extra arms too that I plan to remove the plasma rifles from if I ever get around to it!

I think there is a little confusion here. Chrome or chromium is a metal plated over other metals (usually nickel) that is polished to look bright and shiny. Acetone is a solvent and would have no effect on actual chrome. I honestly don't think these are actually chrome plated as that would be pretty expensive just to fully paint over it with dull silver, but you never know.

Rather, I think it is a chrome metallic paint or powder coat with weathering. As with most paints it probably has a top coat or lacquer applied and the same goes for powder coats. These are designed to be tough and durable and need to be abraided away which is probably why your efforts are not working. If your brave enough, buy some simple car polish and try rubbing a spot. If the pad comes away with paint on it then it is just a single stage paint and will remove much easier. If no paint, then it is clear coated with something and is going to be a chore. Once the overcoat is removed any type of solvent or nail polish remover will break down the paint and eventually remove it.

I'd be pretty careful because if it isn't real chrome than you could cut through the shiny paint too just like what happened to the HGC arm. That's an awfully expensive and nice looking replica to be rubbing on. I would contact Sideshow and find out exactly what is underneath the weathering you don't like before trying anything else. Once you know that, then you can plan your attack.

Well according to Paul Francis who worked on the V1's, they had 3 level coating in this order :
1. Copper
2. Nickel
3. Chrome

He said the Chrome was very durable and is cold to the touch.

From my own experience of the V1, it is without a doubt fully chrome, the finish is just incredible! Like a mirror :)

As you say, best that safire25 contacts Sideshow about the paint issue, they have been helpful to me in the past on other projects.
Do yourself a big favour safire, please contact sideshow first :)

ALIEN

Back