Statue repair question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thecrumb

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Sil SS Species Maquette via EBay and sadly USPS didn't treat her with much love and she arrived with a severed arm. I am wondering what is the best way to repair this and make it as least noticeable as possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here is a couple pics of the dismemberment.
4fa19ca29978cb44a443412b1aaafada.jpg
f7c7a4cfba297441100b89d34487cda1.jpg
7bffdc4009e0859836b2480ed27d284a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That looks like a pretty easy repair. Is there any actual structural/paint damage or did the joint just come unglued? You could probably get away with a small tube of epoxy adhesive and would be better than originally done.

It is a very clean break. Great to hear the good news, is there a certain kind of epoxy I should use or a brand you all would recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a pretty easy repair. Is there any actual structural/paint damage or did the joint just come unglued? You could probably get away with a small tube of epoxy adhesive and would be better than originally done.

Looks like a clean break. I second using epoxy to fix it. Really strong stuff!

Can I ask why you recommend epoxy instead of something like Zapagap? Thanks.

Can't say anything for zapagap but I was in the same situation recently and used JB Weld clear epoxy and that suckers on there now. From what I've read here on the boards I went with epoxy cuz folks were saying the vapors don't damage the paint. The stuff stunk to high heaven, like one of those asian nail salons at the mall, but I got no damaged paint.

...also when you put it together, make sure you have some towels etc- things to prop the parts up on. It sets up super fast but takes an hour or two to really harden. I, like a dummy, stood there and held it :lol

Can't say anything for zapagap but I was in the same situation recently and used JB Weld clear epoxy and that suckers on there now. From what I've read here on the boards I went with epoxy cuz folks were saying the vapors don't damage the paint. The stuff stunk to high heaven, like one of those asian nail salons at the mall, but I got no damaged paint.

...also when you put it together, make sure you have some towels etc- things to prop the parts up on. It sets up super fast but takes an hour or two to really harden. I, like a dummy, stood there and held it :lol

Japagap is just like superglue, without the fogging effect superglue can do to paintjobs. It tries totally clear, albeit gloss. I would think it's better for a "clean break" while the epoxy is better if a small amount of space/cracks need to be filled?

Hmmm cant say for sure. I'd probably rather use some kind of putty to fill cracks and repaint. Epoxy seems like it would be tricky to do that with since it sets up so fast and speaking personally I would probably get it all over everything. Is zapagap runny? Epoxy is more like a gel, may make a diff

Hmmm cant say for sure. I'd probably rather use some kind of putty to fill cracks and repaint. Epoxy seems like it would be tricky to do that with since it sets up so fast and speaking personally I would probably get it all over everything. Is zapagap runny? Epoxy is more like a gel, may make a diff

It's pretty thick

Mine says "medium" on the bottle and was relatively runny, which was fine because I was fixing hairline, cracks/breaks.

I ordered the zapagap CA+, I think that is the medium, guess I'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just try it out on a piece of paper to gauge its consistency. I agree, the tip they provide makes it easy to use, even if it is very liquidy.

Back