stanford prison experiment

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an important experiment that people should learn from. Too often people underestimate the extent to which we can be cruel to each other for arbitrary reasons. I think it tells us something important about humanity, and has a number of implications. Not the least of which is that we should work consciously to monitor and demand accountability of those who are put in authoritative positions with prisoners and juvenile offenders. Abu Ghraib wasn't so surprising to me when that news broke, in part because I was very familiar with the Stanford experiment.

The primary professor behind this experiment (Zimbardo) also put together a great series of introductory psychology videos years ago.

--edit: I just watched the trailer. One thing that doesn't seem to be accurate here is that they were randomly assigned roles in the original experiment. That's important to contextualize the findings. This isn't a case of authoritative people acting in cruel, authoritative ways. It's random people acting that way against a group who were more or less the same as they were.--

4th film based on SPE... Interesting. I really liked "Das Experiment", would be hard to beat it.

I have been totally fascinated by this experiment for years. Can good people turn evil? I am pumped to see this. The documentary was pretty great.
https://youtu.be/L_LKzEqlPto
Another interesting thing - it's like Joker proved Zimbardo's experiment in Dark Knight with Harvey Dent. LOL

and the ppl on the ferries also disproved it because the line between good and evil is permeable. Zimbardos lecture on the psychology of evil is fascinating. It amazes me that as a youth, I never learned about psychology before college. It's a subject that is way more important than almost all other subjects, but was never even offered to me.

As this is my field (i do neuropsychology now but started with clinical and interested in social) I am pretty interested this movie. At the last American Psychological Association convention that had the actual prison experiment clothing and nightclubs and what not. Took a bunch of pictures with the stuff. It was pretty cool.

4th film based on SPE... Interesting. I really liked "Das Experiment", would be hard to beat it.

Yeah I saw "The Experiment" with Adrian Brody, the remake of that. Thought it was meh.

It amazes me that as a youth, I never learned about psychology before college. It's a subject that is way more important than almost all other subjects, but was never even offered to me.

That's because it's a bad idea for kids to learn about behavior, personality, emotion, etc. before they've lived long enough to establish their own, independently.

^^ Look at the comedian over here with the smart mouth.

CosHP9R.gif

That's because it's a bad idea for kids to learn about behavior, personality, emotion, etc. before they've lived long enough to establish their own, independently.

I disagree. There are many layers to the subject, but teaching high school students about interactions with ppl, the way people think, disorders and other simple concepts can really be a interesting and useful subject to children getting ready to enter a adult world. I wish I could find a stat that shows how many schools teach the subject cause I know some do.

and the ppl on the ferries also disproved it because the line between good and evil is permeable. Zimbardos lecture on the psychology of evil is fascinating. It amazes me that as a youth, I never learned about psychology before college. It's a subject that is way more important than almost all other subjects, but was never even offered to me.

good point!

I disagree. There are many layers to the subject, but teaching high school students about interactions with ppl, the way people think, disorders and other simple concepts can really be a interesting and useful subject to children getting ready to enter a adult world. I wish I could find a stat that shows how many schools teach the subject cause I know some do.

My bad, I read "youth" and responded with "kids" because I thought we were talking about elementary/middle school level. Like 13-14 years old and younger. I make that mistake a lot. :lol

it happens! I don't think I would've even cared much about the subject or even found it useful before high school.

Back