Spike in SSC Prices in market?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkc6j

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to collecting and had a question that I am hoping those more experienced could answer or share their thoughts. Also hope this is the right forum for this type of thread.

I started getting into buying SSC (mostly Premium Format) pieces in the last 3 weeks. I usually try and do a lot of searching on past sold items on ebay to get an idea of what a good price is for a particular piece before bidding. I've also gone back through old threads on the For Sale board for learning purposes.

I've generally noticed for almost every SSC piece I am interested in that prices seem to have spiked recently. Even in say the last two months. There are quite a few times on ebay where Feb and early March prices for most pieces are significantly lower than prices in late April and May.

Is this a seasonal thing? A temporary spike? Do people think SSC prices are on the move up? Wonder if I should be holding off if this is temporary for some reason. Any insight would be appreciated by this newbie!

PS: I know there are always a few $250 USD pieces that we all wish we had bought tons of at release. I'm not talking about that. Just talking about market prices on the move up (seemingly) for most older pieces.

You have to ask yourself why stuff doesn't seem to sell out like it used to. Coincidence? I think not.

As Sideshow increases the price on new items I suppose people are willing to pay more for the older stuff.
Chances are the older stuff is better quality as well.

Are you searching completed listings? Some Buy It Now items with stupid prices will never sell.

You have to ask yourself why stuff doesn't seem to sell out like it used to. Coincidence? I think not.

That's simply because statues are released with 'TBD'. This gives them around two months to judge the interest and set the ES accordingly.
Those older statues are likely to be more limited also.

As Sideshow increases the price on new items I suppose people are willing to pay more for the older stuff.

Are you searching completed listings? Some Buy It Now items with stupid prices will never sell.

Yeah, I was definitely looking at completed sales.

And I wasn't so much saying that older stuff will be more than newer stuff (makes sense as runs were smaller and at least some thing quality is better).

But just take something middle of the road like SSC Colossus (special ones that spiked like Gamibt, Darth Talon, etc are bad examples). So going back even just a few months you could find a SSC Colossus Reg selling for 380-400 including shipping numerous times. Now it is more like 500-550. And that is just one example of which there seem to be many. Kindof like the whole classic SSC market took a big tick up in early May.

well if your searching on ebay, that's usually about a 10-15% markup anyways so sellers can cover all the stupid fees. "Completed" auctions are not the same as "sold" listings either.

If anything this time of year is usually better for prices as most people are outside/on vacation more and less likely to have extra funds and/or time to search. Your findings seem to disagree with that assumption though, but that may be a Marvel thing as those seem to just keep climbing.

Definitely make sure you're looking at sold completed auctions, as the ones that tend to sit and be available are the more expensive ones. Make good use of the ebay feeds and tag a lot of stuff and have some patience. Good deals come :)

Crazy dream prices

You mentioned several X-Men...with the whole Fox and Disney thing, those X-Men ones are driving up because we don't really see some compromise there.

If you have a few others that aren't X, my guess is definitely the summer. By fall you have a lot of pieces coming and some people purging just to scramble funds.

Back