Bridge Direct THE HOBBIT figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Over the last two days I have been watching BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES on Blu-ray and occasionally venture into my basement to look at my collection which includes all the LOTR six inch toys from ToyBiz and the smaller but still wonderfully detailed Armies of Middle Earth line that were really superb for the pittance we were charged. Even the Applause stuff was not bad.

And then I think about how THE HOBBIT toys were handled in awarding the contract to Bridge Direct and I get really angry and frustrated picturing in my head the hundred or more figures we should have to keep the ones from LOTR company on the shelves but instead all we got was some really crappy small figures which seem to not have even hit twenty.

Have the Jackson people at WETA ever explained how they were part of this major disaster and why BD got the contract in the first place and then were allowed to put out such poor product in such small numbers?

One would have imagined that coming off a three billion box office success of LOTR that this time would have been even bigger in terms of the toys but it was the opposite.

And no offense - but spare me the LEGO's touting as I do not buy that stuff.

Am I out alone on this or do others share my anger and frustration at being deprived of hundreds of great toys from HOBBIT that we never got or never will get?

A. He is not spreading negativity. People should be allowed to express their displease with companies or products.
B. I'm happy this line tanked, and saved me not only hundreds of Dollars, but also hours of dusting :)

Yeah, the whole "no disparaging remarks about toy-makers" is a very slippery slope.

Not sure what we're supposed to talk about anymore. Just pat everyone on the head and say 'great figure' or tell people when my figure is shipping? That's really interesting.

actually i thank you for a post like this.... he/she who post this kind of message will save me couple hundred dollar .

Nothing about his post is out of line. He stated why he was upset, what he felt should have been done. BD was a let down. Nothing they did compared to TB. My 14yr old has grown up with the TB line and still has over 40 figs hanging on his wall. He won't allow any BD in his room, in fact he won't buy any to play with. I felt some of the BD figs where ok but just don't have the same effect as the TB line.

As for negative comments. Saying you don't know what a company was thinking is different from stating the company is run by morons or something along that line. Some people don't know how to state their displeasure w/o being rude (we see them here all the time). It's harder to be tactful and polite for some. I have seen some things I felt was wrong in the Asmus thread and feel they have done a great job of taking the higher road with some comments and still wanting to provide the best they can.

Well, you know LOTR is kinda like Star Trek. While the movies tend to do very well, merchandising seems to always fall flat.

Is that on the part of the consumer, or because, up until Asmus and ACI (with LOTR), no one has made any quality products (especially in 1/6th) of Star Trek. I think any true 1/6 collector and Star Trek fan would grab up what they could if it was given the treatment it deserves. I know if someone was to give TOS (or Wrath of Khan) proper 1/6 figures, I'd be all over them.

Is that on the part of the consumer, or because, up until Asmus and ACI (with LOTR), no one has made any quality products (especially in 1/6th) of Star Trek. I think any true 1/6 collector and Star Trek fan would grab up what they could if it was given the treatment it deserves. I know if someone was to give TOS (or Wrath of Khan) proper 1/6 figures, I'd be all over them.

I actually think it's just the nature of the property. While true fans, like yourself, would snatch up any quality product offered, it just doesn't demand the type of hype we see with other sci fi properties. Asmus had done a pretty good job but they still aren't procuring the same levels of interest we see in other places.

Anyone see the figures eaglemoss are putting out?
Because I am a completist I'm getting some to round out my hobbit figure collection. Characters that we should of got from bD like bard, beorn, master of laketown and the remaining dwarves. Anyone else doing this?

Back