Sports anime

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biojex

Super Freak
Reaction score
The optimal altitude for missile deployment
I've been branching out of my typical anime realm (fantasy and scifi) and trying out some sports related animes. I don't really like watching "real" sports all that much. There's no story and it's for the most part a bit yawn inducing. I absolutely love to play them (especially basketball and baseball), so I figured I'd try watching something related to the sports I enjoy that also included a rather decent story line.

I used to play Basketball in highschool. And both me and my wife used to be on our respective schools volleyball and swim teams back in the day, so we figured we'd watch animes revolving around those sports. Fortunately we found some pretty good ones. As of now I've watched Kurokos BasketBall, Haikyuu and Free! Kurokos is my favorite. The characters are all massively interesting and great to watch and it's all crazy to think that the usual anime intensity is being attributed to something as low stakes as a basketball game...but somehow it works :lol. The same could be said for Haikyuu. Haikyuu was good too. A legitimately funny anime with endearing characters. Free! Was ok. It got a little too sappy at times but in had genuine heart to the story archs.

I think I'll try Ace of diamond next (which is baseball oriented) or Yowimusha pedal (which is bicycling). So how about it, does anyone here watch these anime or something like it? Are there any awesome sports animes i should check out?

Kurokos Basketball
image.jpg

Haikyuu
image.jpg

Free!
image.jpg

Yowimusha pedal
image.jpg

As for collectibles. Kuroko has some pretty nice scaled figures. I'll most likely be picking up the title character Kuroko soon.
image.jpg

I know figma has a few figures from Free! And Yowimusha pedal. And a few Nendoroids from Haikyuu. I have the one figma from Free! (Which I'll probably leave at that. I can't have too many shirtless dude toys or else my wife might start asking questions :lol) And I might grab the yowimusha one of i dig the anime enough.

Any one here collect figures from these animes?

Hajime no Ippo
Kuroko no Basuke
Captain Tsubasa (soccer)
Yowamushi
Free
The Knight in the Area

I watched all of these with my wife. She is collecting the Kuroko figures from Megahouse, they look really good.

No mention of Slam Dunk?!

Well as I said. I'm just now diving into this genre. But I'll check this one out. Thanks :)

I heard Hajime no Ippo is good if you like boxing.

Sweet. I do so I'll chexk it out.

Hajime no Ippo
Kuroko no Basuke
Captain Tsubasa (soccer)
Yowamushi
Free
The Knight in the Area

I watched all of these with my wife. She is collecting the Kuroko figures from Megahouse, they look really good.

I just PO'ed Akashi from megahouse and just ordered Kuroko earlier today. Excited :yess:

Never watched sports anime are they good.

I'm enjoying them. Once you see someone pass a basketball like firing a kamehameha you'll probably be hooked :lol

They're all melodramatic. Even though I'm watching yowamushi, I'm still awed how they turned cycling into a series.

I heard Hajime no Ippo is good if you like boxing.

you heard correctly x10 :lol even if you don't like boxing.

also one of the funniest shows ever made. great character developement, the "badguys" are shown from their own point of views, who they are and why they fight. Very intense and epic at times- when you're not rolling off the couch holding your stomach that is.

^should also mention be sure to watch it subbed, it loses a ton of personality dubbed imo and i love a lot of dubbed shows

Another "sort of" sport show Id recommend is Yakitate Japan. Its like a cross between Iron Chef and DBZ. It loses steam toward the end imo but its still a lot of fun

The football one is familiar to me. Not a fan of sports anime but I can't stand free..... Ugh. Kuroko no basket looks really cool but I could never get into it

Here's a couple pics of my Hajime collection:

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

Really like the material they used, its a harder PVC- maybe more ABS? They look more polystonish. I've got Miyata on the way, would love to have the Spiderweb Takamura but $350-$400 for an 1/8 scale fig is probably a little more than I feel like paying- sux getting into collecting late :banghead

Watched a bit of Slam Dunk back in the day but it was hard to find at the time so I ended up not getting very far. I've heard Ash*ita no Joe is also pretty good as well as a classic. Been wanting to check out Kuroko, I will one of these days...

Started on Kuroko finally, its actually pretty good- has that I gotta see the next one feeling.

Only gripes so far are the mid air changeups and how they say certain godlike characters are still holding back- I'm like what, are they going to sprout wings next lol. Minor complaint, overall very fun show

Back