Premium Format John Wayne review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's still only January, and yet I have a four star review up. Not only that, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and claim that the new John Wayne Premium Format figure from Sideshow is their BEST in the format to date. Ah, but you'll have to read the review to see the context of the argument...

You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading,

Michael
MWC

Awesome! I remember you saying that this was your favorite of the SS PFs (or at least the best so far), reading about it shows why.

I can't wait for mine, DSC should be shipping their's soon. :monkey5

I agree with the high marks given to this PF. It's a truly great piece of work, and the price could have been higher when you consider that it surpasses some other more expensive figures in key ways.

(The biggest question I had about mine was whether the misplaced left suspender was just an issue on mine or if it was intentional and present on all the pieces. It looks like it was meant to be sewn that close to the center, so I will just get used to it.)

This is certainly not one that flippers and scalpers jumped on, so once these sell out, it's a good bet that they will all be in the hands of people who actually want to keep them. I can see this one getting to be pretty difficult to find in the not-too-distant future.

I think that pulling this off successfuly was a greater challenge than pieces like Lurtz or Grievous, because it is based on an incredibly familiar real person. In spite of that familiarity and scrutiny, he holds up well. It really does look like they shrunk down the Duke and sent him to me in a box.

Thanks for the review!!

Nice Review, i'm happy that Sideshow has finally upgrade the quality of their recent PF....I agree that the clothes ans the paint on this figure is just incredible.The character is boring,but I can say this is one hell of a statue.

I agree it's one of SS best pieces ever for sure. I don't think it's better than Lurtz but I know my Dad truly loves it and it came out just really awesome.

gambit said:
I am holding myself not to buy this for my father,

If only the standing pose would be a little more dominant, I would buy it by now.

The pose couldn't be any other - that IS the way Wayne always stood.

stop stop STOP guys!

Im already trying to not get a Green Hulk.

now this thing is in a league of its own.
beautiful sculpt along with masterful mixed media work.

Im gonna end up spending my year's limit in the first month! :eek:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna spend my reward points on him once the points for stuff like my Doom bust and Grey Hulk are converted into points.

I may pick him up if he'll be available in the Fall. What are the chances of that happening?

btw Michael, I have been a fan of your site and reviews for approx. 5 years. I love seeing your collection grow, and have to ask, where do you keep everything? It must get to the point you place some figures into storage or you had to turn the garage into a collector's room, not to mention the kitchen, the living, bathrooms, bedrooms, basement, front yard, back yard, etc. You get what I mean.

I moved to a place where I could build a barn for my hobby about a year ago. However, time and money hasn't permitted me to get the barn up yet, so right now pretty much everything is in storage in the basement. One of these days I'll have things set up just the way I want...it might just be that the day is a little longer coming than I'd like :)

Thanks for responding. I think it's neat. After all, being such a fan of your'sall this time (no I am not a cheerleader! *pumping fist*), I can finally let you know how much your site and the posted reviews are appreciated on my end. So much so, it has swayed my judgement on certain items, to the point I either did make the purchase, or decided to ultimately pass on it. It's not always the case, but for most of the time it is. With the exception of the odd piece you like, that would warrant someone to question what's in your food. All I got to say is that you have an extensive repertoire of figures and statues in your collection. One has to ask, is there any limitations to one's collection?

I collect mainly anything that screams quality. Even if I am not a huge fan of the license. Say for example Star Wars. There are some nice items that Master Replicas, Gentle Giant, and Sideshow has put out that I want and have purchased, but could careless for the license all together. Much like the John Wayne here. Never seen any of John's from start to finish. One could assume that would be the basis to fully appreciate a piece like this, but as you had mentioned in your review, for love of the Duke or not, it's probably SideShow's best piece to date. Now that's something I would sink my teeth into. He definitely would make a great conversational piece, and you know you'll bring someone over to your house that will really appreciate him.

Last edited:
Great review Michael! I have said for a long time that some of these pieces are like art and you don't have to be a fan of the particular license or character to appreciate the piece. I remember when General G. was first put up for pre-order, a lot of people (who have since gotten him) declared they didn't like the character and would never own the piece, while some of us said that the piece was amazing as a sculpt on it's own. I ultimately hope people begin to see these high-end Sideshow pieces more as art than just as a Star Wars, Marvel, LOTR or etc. collectibles. Can't wait to get my Duke!

Right on Lonnie!! The PF pieces are like pieces of art that you have to look at closely to appreciate. I've learned that since I saw my first PF 2 years ago at SDCC. No matter what license they are amazing to look at.

I'll have to get my Dad on here to tell you guys what he thinks of John Wayne.

Man, after reading that review I want this. Maybe I will use my rewards points for it.

lcummins said:
Do it now while he is still available! You know you want it!!! :D
Don't tempt me Lonnie!!! Though I would buy the John Wayne pf and want to use it for good, through me it would cause me to scalp some poor unsuspecting true collector on ebay in a few months.

Back