Hello From Long Island

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAVANEXEL2

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm from Long Island, NY. I've always been a casual James Bond fan, but after buying the 4 box sets and watching all 20 in chronological order, I'm hooked. I decided to start collecting the Sideshow pieces. At this point I'm primarily trying to acquire the Connery/Moore era villains (i.e. Dr. No, OddJob, P. Galore, Blofeld, Tee Hee, Scaramanga, Jaws, etc., as well as one of each Bond). I have also preordered the entirety of the Legacy Collection direct from Sideshow. I'm focusing on Bond right now, but in general I'm also a huge fan of Star Wars and The Universal Horror Films. I may venture into those when my Bond acquisitions are satiated.

As far as me personally, I am 26 years old. I have a Bachelor's from Syracuse University and a Master's from Adelphi University in Marketing Management and Business Administration respectively. I am also a certified bartender and an ordained minister (no conflict of interest present). You can take a look at some of my links to get a better idea about me. My eBay ID is john****tolstoy, the 4 letters starred out being another word for rooster, which is an homage to the movie Fletch, not something obscene.

I hope I gave a little bit of an idea about myself. If anyone actually reads this, I have a few questions about collecting that I'm hoping some veterans will be able to answer. If not, I'll post some of the questions in more populated threads to try to find out.

1) Does Sideshow EVER use any tape other than the circular sealers to seal the top of the box? Because I purchased 3 figures at a store by me, 2 of them only having the circular tape (Thunderball Bond & OHMSS Lazenby), while the other (MWTGG Moore) having the circular tape with rectangular tape over that on both sides. Have I been duped? I also won a Jaws figure on Ebay last week for $50.99 that also had the circular tape covered with regular rectangular tape. Same question basically. If this is abnormal, does it take away from the piece, and how should something look if it has been "put back?"

2) How are the secondary market prices established? For example, I picked up the Thunderball Bond for $34.99 at a local shop who deals in Sideshow, yet it looks like they retailed for $65.00 on the Sideshow website. Do dealers get that significant a discount, or do secondary market sellers just take a bath on the original price?

3) Are there any threads relating to Bond or Universal Monsters, particularly that are checklists, or keep a running "timeline" of the lines? I have very little idea what came out when, what is scheduled/rumored/prototyped, etc. I'd like to know a lot more about the last 5 years with respect to these lines and their history. Are they in a "holding pattern?" Are there more Bond villains to follow? Any help would be appreciated on any of these...

Thanks and I look forward to dealing with many of you --- Chris

Dude, I think I know you, you post at WFigs.com right? If so, it's me, Repo man!

Any way.

As far Bond goes I think it's dying or dead. they are coming out with the legacy line re-doing all the "bonds" but sadly I think they are done with the classic era villians.

I think the value is based on how many versions of the charactor were made. For example they made a lot of Connery Bonds so the Thunderball one may be not as popular so marked down after a while. Mean while it's very hard to get a Q figure, I have a lot of Bond figures but he still eludes me. That's a great price you got on JAWS by the way.

Yes, Josh, it is indeed me! Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the tape situation? Have there been any rumors about the line being transferred to another company? I think this line would hold up well in the 7 inch scale, a la Rocky's recent success.

Hmmm, I rip stuff open right away normally, but as far as I can remember they always use the circle tape. I could be wrong though.

I think the Bond line would do well if scaled down, it would allow for obscure villians and bond girls to be made, however I still rather them make more 1.6 scale bond stuff. But thats just my personal prefrence.

whats up bro, im from mineola . welcome to the board. these sideshow figures are the bomb..regarding the tape. they were probably opened at one point. all of my stuff has circular tape when i get it direct from sideshow. if there were suppossed to be twist ties, are they there when you got these? if not were their little holes in the plastic packaging where ties should have be.

Back