Cabinet Lights Damaging Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a lighted display cabinet for my statues. The statues on the top shelf are about 2-3" away from the lights themselves, which are directly over them. Does anyone know if the light and/or heat can damage the statues over time?

The statues get mildly warm if I leave the lights on for a long period of time.

If you use LED they should be fine. That being said, your statues should not get warm at all if placed under that sort of light, so you might need to change those bulbs pronto.

I have two lights in the cabinet. Both are round lights that have a white casing, but I can't for the life of me find them on IKEA.com at the moment. They definitely put off heat though because the metal casing on them gets really hot.

Can you recommend a different set of lights if I do have to replace these?

I have two lights in the cabinet. Both are round lights that have a white casing, but I can't for the life of me find them on IKEA.com at the moment. They definitely put off heat though because the metal casing on them gets really hot.

Can you recommend a different set of lights if I do have to replace these?

I think I know which lights you have. Ikea used to sell them and I have them in my Detolfs. They are the round NON puck lights and have been discontinued. They are bulb lights and not LED and they do get very warm. I would definitely switch to LED puck lights.

Get some good quality LEDs ASAP.

I know this is a really dumb question but I just wanted to check to be sure. I know they say when you're displaying a statue in a besta, you should use an LED light to avoid damaging the statue. Being damaged by a light only applies when the statues are in close proximity to the light right? I mean that if I have non-LED lighting on my ceiling several several feet away, will that damage the statues? Do I need to switch to led lights for the whole room?

I know this is a really dumb question but I just wanted to check to be sure. I know they say when you're displaying a statue in a besta, you should use an LED light to avoid damaging the statue. Being damaged by a light only applies when the statues are in close proximity to the light right? I mean that if I have non-LED lighting on my ceiling several several feet away, will that damage the statues? Do I need to switch to led lights for the whole room?

Not dumb at all. Yes, even a few feet away can still do damage if they are not LEDs. It would take longer to see the effects of course, but over the years it may be noticeable. I would switch(plus you save on energy and it will probably look better anyway)

I have a lighted display cabinet for my statues. The statues on the top shelf are about 2-3" away from the lights themselves, which are directly over them. Does anyone know if the light and/or heat can damage the statues over time?

The statues get mildly warm if I leave the lights on for a long period of time.

Once they get sunburn its time to move them to the shade :)

Back