First figure purchased. Introduction and questions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireball

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hey folks, glad to be here.

I'm signing in because I've been bitten by the bug. I have been aware of the high end collectibles market for a good long time, but have never gone off and purchased something too crazy. . . until now. (except that one lightsaber replica back in '97, but that's another story). I float between Japan and Hawaii, and I'm seriously into all things tech. Do a lot with robotics, software, LEDs, 3D printing, CnC, etc for work, and assuming all goes well, plan on doing some mods along the way, but am not really ready to do any work for others, so please don't ask yet. I'll certainly post when there's something cool to see.

Anyway, a while back I read a review of the Hot Toys Iron Man mk 42 Die-Cast, and although I thought it was fantastic but I prefer my Iron Man a little more old school so didn't buy. THEN I found out they where also making a mk 3. That was pretty much all it took, and I plunked down my wallet. I've been in queue for that for quite a while (months), and wasn't really paying too much attention again, but down the rabbit hole that is YouTube I came upon a review of the Starboost armor figure and had to have that too. Placed my order last week, and received it today since those are already shipping.

First off, I need to say these are really great. The detail in the molding, the imposing presence of the figure in real life, the the sheer number of moving parts! Just wow. (can't think of much else to say)

That said, I have an issue. From about 2 feet away, the figure looks perfect, but if you get closer than that, you really start to see a lot (and I mean a LOT) of imperfections in the paint. Like it wasn't primed correctly, and pieces are flaking off. I've run my finger along the affected areas and it does't appear that any more paint is coming off. I know I didn't order the battle damaged version, but is it supposed to be like this? Or did I get a bad paint? Is this one of the pitfalls of collecting 12 in figures? Honestly, I'm not sure, but now I'm worried about my eventual mk 3.

Would very much appreciate some enlightenment from the gurus here.

Anyway, thanks again for reading. I'm very much looking forward to lurking around and seeing what other folks are into.

J "Fireball"

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, and "Hi!".

Anyway, a bit of an update, I've kind of figured out that the grey areas are supposed to have this "wear" that I was talking about earlier, but I've never seen an images online where the gold was also scratched / flaked off like mine. . . I'm thinking I should repaint the affected gold areas. (not something I'm afraid of at all)

Who all are other moders on the board here? I don't really see a mod specific area. Maybe that's a category that should be added? (or am I really weird that I want to rip apart and change my new expensive toys?)

Back